519 replies to this topic

#466 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

Put's foolish ideas in peoples heads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 06:51 AM

Learnt something interesting yesterday. Turns out I've never had working reverse lights as the wires from the loom to the switch had been cut off. Someone really bodged parts of this loom in the past. 

I checked the wiring diagram and it seems to show a green and brown wire and a green wire from the switch to the loom. I'll try and wire these up roughly this week and hopefully have a working reverse light.

#467 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 11:10 AM

Whoever worked on this car before had chopped the wires for the reverse light fairly close to the mass of wires that comes into the cabin through the firewall. Anyway, I stripped the ends of the wires of the switch, and checked for continuity using a multimeter, and nothing. So, this suggests the switch needs replacing and I'm hoping I can find one locally. 

I stripped the ends of the two green wires coming off the loom and loosely tied them together. When I switched on the car, the reverse light came on, so that is definitely the reverse light wiring. I then soldered on some extensions of wires and fitted bullet connectors on the ends with some female bullet connectors too. I ran them under the carpet and now they are sitting next to the selector until I can get a new switch. 

I was very humbled that my little E got invited to a photo-shoot for the celebration of the 60 years of Minis. It's not perfect in anyway (faded paint, dents in the floor pan and subframes, oily engine bay with rust), and far from original (all the mods I've done since getting it), so to get invited to attend was quite special for me. Some friends came through with their cars too. Including an early Pickup that has recently been restored, a Morris Cooper S, an awesome Mk1 Race car, a new MINI GP and a new 5 door MINI. Unfortunately, due to short notice, the person with a GTS and Clubman Estate was unable to join. Here are some pictures from the day. 

dhfW3cs.jpg

Peet Mocke, the master photographer. Check out his work on Instagram. Some stunning photography over there! 

0lVyMfP.jpg

Pair of mk1s. The Cooper S and a race built Mk1. It sounded so cool! 

axZgIWk.jpg

Y8JQNcd.jpg

kzx39iH.jpg

sWQcuoR.jpg

19WRRKa.jpg

Kevin's early Pickup. Recently restored and stunning, inside and out. 

rDIwAfV.jpg

jupwQHm.jpg

2pQAqo2.jpg

cvv4PN1.jpg

MINI GP and MINI 5 door. 

TeIYgEV.jpg

Everyone was a photographer on the day :P 

ILEzGyI.jpg

Thought this was a neat shot I took after the shoot. 

RIKy4vr.jpg

#468 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,997 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 22 September 2019 - 11:20 AM

Cool shots there!

#469 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 01:02 PM

Cool shots there!

Yeah! It was a neat location for a shoot. Super keen to see the final edited photographs taken by Peet and the article written by Brent when its published.   

#470 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 08:14 AM

I've been trying to not buy car parts, but then these two sets of parts came up for sale and I couldn't resist. Original pod speakers for the rear parcel shelf from an 80s Mini and a set of Lucas LR8s that were also a factory option on the 1275 E. They even have the covers, which look awesome! 

Vp3a249.jpg

tHbAKHz.jpg

I also have a Sanyo radio, which I was hoping to use, so these go quite well with that. 

eDmru8D.jpg

FV8p5r0.jpg

Going to make some brackets like Tim suggested and get these fitted. Then to figure out the wiring. 

#471 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,997 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 11 October 2019 - 09:45 PM

Those are nice retro looking lamps and speakers! 

#472 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 08:34 AM

Haven't done much to the car in the past few weeks. It broke down on Wednesday and I thought the mechanical pump had failed. Turned out to be stuck needle valves in the carb float bowl lids. The car doesn't have a fuel filter anywhere in the system and I'm guessing this is a bad thing. Anyway, bought some fuel line and fuel hose and I'll change the lines in the engine bay, cut the rear fuel line under the subframe and fit a fuel filter there. I don't suppose there is a need to fit a second one under the bonnet between the pump and the carbs?

I also, finally sorted out the annoying knocking sound from the rear. I had changed the passenger side shock a few weeks back and I decided to change the driver side one too and did that yesterday evening. Turns out both lower rubber bushes were worn and that was causing the annoying knocking sound. It's nice that it's gone now. 

#473 Jared Mk3

Jared Mk3

Has a small thing but it does make a difference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts
  • Local Club: MOCKZN

Posted 04 November 2019 - 04:21 PM

I do fancy those spot lights. Nice find  =]

#474 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 01:10 PM

I do fancy those spot lights. Nice find  =]

Thanks man :) definitely a case of right place/right time. I do have the other chrome housing LR8s in a box which I should probably consider selling. 

#475 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 07:53 AM

I forgot to update this thread last week. Haven't spent much time working on the car lately. The Mini has been having some fuelling issues, cleaned out the flexible lines in the engine bay side with some compressed air and then cut the rear flexible line (covering myself in fuel... yay :P) and then fitted a fuel filter. The issues seem to have stopped (fingers crossed). 

Joined a classic car run/meet to Somerset West. Lots of lovely cars attended including a beautiful E34 M5, a Peugeot 304 Coupe, and a little Fiat Uno Turbo. 

Here are some of the pictures. 

yqxKSUP.jpg

UkYEcdh.jpg

jipXBYy.jpg

fmpWgDB.jpg

W67GkMw.jpg

4bfWKsg.jpg

ru7DDI1.jpg

myStZo5.jpg

#476 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 07:48 AM

Haven't updated this thread in quite a while, but there really hasn't been much progress on the Mini either. 

Had a bit of a stuff up in early December, reversed into a tree stump and dinged the rear bumper, so for the end of year car show, the Mini was bumperless and not looking great :\

9O4dsD1.jpg

The car needs a lot of work. The paint is flat in many places and faded in others, with rust bubbling through the surface around the rear windscreen, and seam trims. 

Here are some pics of the Minis at the show. 

A rare and mostly original Wolseley 1000:

JEw8tPl.jpg

X21pbze.jpg

A very rare (in SA) Austin Metro:

tHLCUXe.jpg

sdCiNsK.jpg

A lovely MkI Cooper S:

jveo7NT.jpg

ssj5Y50.jpg

A tidy SA Mk3:

9PKfGDQ.jpg

XK95gih.jpg

A couple of race cars: 

fPuQlvu.jpg

Q7X6eK1.jpg

Ew1ZbJv.jpg

And probably my favourite Clubman in SA! This Mini Rebel with a BMW K-series head. It's a stunning build and sounds amazing! 

7o6uvXv.jpg

2TL9Liy.jpg

CgGGPir.jpg

h50jGMv.jpg

#477 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 07:51 AM

The Mini was soon after parked up as I went home for the holidays. 

G2MKbAn.jpg

I had picked up a secondhand rear bumper that was straight and usable. Cleaned it up and then gave it a good polish and it turned out alright I think. 

23jkeZx.jpg

0ZKhPFK.jpg

The Mini is currently parked up as the top and bottom engine steadies are completely stuffed. The bolt has rusted to the sleeve of the top one and I can't get that loose to replace it, while the nut is seized onto the lower steady and the bush is also completely worn. I have the bushes to replace these parts but don't currently have the skill to get the bolts off. I think a hacksaw is needed or perhaps an angle grinder. 

#478 JXC Mini GT

JXC Mini GT

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 01:46 PM

The bumpers polished up well and looks good.

I would try soaking the engine steady bolts with penetrating fluid (Plusgas) and leave for a while before trying to remove them, if that fails as you say hacksaw or angle grinder may be the answer.

Good luck

#479 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 09:26 AM

The bumpers polished up well and looks good.

I would try soaking the engine steady bolts with penetrating fluid (Plusgas) and leave for a while before trying to remove them, if that fails as you say hacksaw or angle grinder may be the answer.

Good luck

Unfortunately there wasn't enough room to get in an angle grinder or hacksaw there, so we ended up drilling away at the head of the bolt until it snapped off. Turns out the bracket is a bit wrecked too... The bottom part needs to be welded up and the top bracket hole is ovalised. We fitted the new bush and the car is ok for now, but I really need to get it to an expert to fix it properly. Not happy driving the car with wonky engine steadies. 

#480 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 09:43 AM

Keen to rebuild a GTS gearbox this year and I was wondering what FD people would recommend? I would like to get one that improves the cruising capabilities of the Mini, so that longer drives are more comfortable. Apparently a 3.1/3.2 are a good option?  

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users