519 replies to this topic

#496 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

Put's foolish ideas in peoples heads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 10:52 AM

Dropped off the car with Stuart this week to get it some much needed TLC.

Fit the gearbox, replace the timing chain cover with one with a breather (and timing chain if needed), fix the top engine steady brackets, spray paint the firewall, fit the brake booster, plumb up the breather pipes, fit the smaller washer bottle.

Inside the car, fit a heater, radio, speakers, sort out the electrical issues, and fit the parcel shelf box thing (which I picked up and fixed up at a swap meet last week.) Also got some front grille reflectors. 

Quite excited to see what the outcome of all the work is.  

#497 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 12:32 PM

BIg update! Got the Mini back yesterday evening!  :xmas:  :D  :D

Rather happy with the work that was done on the car. The car isn't leaking oil anymore, which is a big plus! The sleeve that I had fitted from Minispares was rather loose on the selector rod, Stuart had a sleeve with a tighter fit made up and fitted it and the selector is feeling a lot tighter. 

The engine was painted, GTS gearbox fitted and the timing chain breather added and all plumbed into the carbs. 

The radio, speakers and the little parcel shelf have been fitted and the interior is looking a little tidier. 

Stuart said that it wasn't worth fitting a brake booster with the split front/rear brake master cylinder. He said it was more likely to cause problems. So I will look at selling on the booster and brackets to another project if someone is building an early GTS that has a tin can master cylinder. 

Stuart said he was rather impressed with how this car drives. Seems like it was a well built motor.

I only had a fairly short drive back from his place yesterday, but hopefully will get a chance to stretch its legs over the weekend. 

#498 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 09:29 AM

Thats good to hear, at least you can get a few trips to enjoy it over the holidays!

#499 GT Jimmy

GT Jimmy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 10 December 2020 - 08:31 PM

While you're out get some glamour shots in the sun, I'll be out in mine and no doubt it'll be raining lol

#500 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 03:26 AM

While you're out get some glamour shots in the sun, I'll be out in mine and no doubt it'll be raining lol

Haha! Wait for the one day of Sunshine for those glamour shots ;) 

#501 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 19 December 2020 - 10:40 AM

Took a nice drive out to the Franschhoek Motor Museum with some friends on Wednesday. The Mini drove super well, apart from wanting the stall (the idle was a little bit low) and a crunch when shifting down into second (more on this later). 

Some of the cool cars at the Museum.
TB6NqxW.jpg
5HhcqoR.jpg
3dvZqm9.jpg
NaGN4Ub.jpg

Here are some pictures of the Mini during the engine removal and gearbox swap.
LvFQLw7.jpg
BR9tzPM.jpg
F4S5Ym5.jpg

Fixed engine steady bracket.
Zm6F75I.jpg

Damaged water pump bypass.
Evb4Mo3.jpg

The engine all shiny and clean with a re-cored radiator and the breathers plumbed in. 
ZPLzYCE.jpg

Got the reflectors on, so the front looks correct again. 
rvKUrJx.jpg

Rear parcel shelf speakers look just right in the car. 
mHehsKc.jpg

I rather like this little parcel shelf and the radio fitted under the switch panel. I sourced some fascia panels and I need to get those mounted so that the radio is secured under there. 
coyvKND.jpg

Now, back to the gearbox. Took it to Stuart to have the breather pipes fitted and the idle raised. We took it for a drive and he confirmed that the synchro is second gear is stuffed. Which is a shame, because they were brand new items purchased and used in the rebuild. He's already said I can bring the car in in the new year and we'll get it sorted. It doesn't really affect the driving of the car on the upshifts, and if you blip the throttle on the downshift, the shifting is mostly ok. So going to continue enjoying the Mini until next year rolls around :) 

#502 JXC Mini GT

JXC Mini GT

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 19 December 2020 - 12:54 PM

That's a shame about 2nd gear crunching, on the plus side the engine is looking tidy and the car is looking good, as you say just enjoy it until next year.

#503 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 19 December 2020 - 01:40 PM

That's a shame about 2nd gear crunching, on the plus side the engine is looking tidy and the car is looking good, as you say just enjoy it until next year.

Yeah. It's unfortunate that the baulk ring failed, but at least I know it will be sorted in the new year and the car is still running really well. 

#504 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 10:48 AM

So, this is going to be the last update on this thread for a while :( 

Decided to take one last drive in the Mini before we part ways for the foreseeable future. Drove along the coast with a friend in his Mk1 S, and then took to the Franschhoek pass and another mountain pass. Got some stunning pictures and it was quite a nice way to enjoy a good drive. (This was all last Saturday). 

A6D5scA.jpg

e8Rhsbu.jpg

znoF8F6.jpg

toAY6op.jpg

When parked next to the dam.

TFMaKew.jpg

HhyUGyF.jpg

One of my favourites from the day.

Xk0ikQZ.jpg

And from the top of the pass.

kYwH377.jpg

bXR99K2.jpg

wlMrgTf.jpg

and probably the coolest shot from the day. 

3Ts2sh0.jpg

Anyway, now the Mini is with Stuart to get some stuff sorted out and then will be heading on a truck to live with my parents for at least a couple of years. 

#505 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 02:02 PM

..and what a final drive !!  absolutely stunning.

#506 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 15 July 2022 - 12:56 PM

The Mini ended up staying in Cape Town. First with a friend in their garage and now in long-term storage with other classic and sports cars. 

Did pick this up before leaving the UK for the Mini. 

p0kruTn.jpg

Keen to get back to Cape Town and drive the car after so long. 

#507 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 23 November 2022 - 07:36 PM

Returned to SA in September after the contract ended in the UK. Couldn't pull the Mini out of storage for a bit until I could source a parking space undercover and off the road. Sorted that out this past Friday and fitted the little memento from the UK. 

4KHNeAj.jpg

hC0ySGn.jpg

Tasks to get sorted, getting the triple clocks working after building the little circuit board for the tacho, and then driving the car a little in the summer months :) 

Looking to see how to restore the plastic trim on the triple clock plastic binnacle too. 

#508 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,996 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 23 November 2022 - 08:15 PM

Avoiding the UK winter sounds like a great plan! Looking forward to seeing your mini back on the road

I get the feeling my wife wouldn’t let me go to the UK now I have a mini, I’d bring home way too many “momentos”

#509 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 24 November 2022 - 01:30 PM

Avoiding the UK winter sounds like a great plan! Looking forward to seeing your mini back on the road

I get the feeling my wife wouldn’t let me go to the UK now I have a mini, I’d bring home way too many “momentos”

I did miss the sunshine and nature here in Cape Town! Really keen to get out and take the Mini for some drives around the mountains and along the coast! 

I really should have brought some more parts back, but at the time I was hoping to stay that side for a little longer. I was thinking another steering wheel (I know how much of a fan you are of the different wheels) like the early GTS wheel would have been a cool thing to get. 

I still want to work out how to properly restore the plastic housing though so I can fit the GTS clocks to the car.  

#510 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,996 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 25 November 2022 - 12:12 AM

What condition is the trim for the clocks in now?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users