827 replies to this topic

#541 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 06:39 AM

Not noticed that blue wire on my MPI. I had a look at the circuit diagram and it could be the blue wire going to the Condensor fan for the Japanese air con models

Q

#542 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 13 May 2018 - 08:12 AM

It's usually under tape on the loom

#543 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:55 AM

Looking good Steve! I may have missed it from your notes, but is your bulk head insulation the one that is being sold by ‘Smiffy’s bits’ on eBay?

No mate. Its a custom piece made for me by a friend.

Very nice too. Don't suppose he made a batch?!

#544 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 05:59 PM

Looking good Steve! I may have missed it from your notes, but is your bulk head insulation the one that is being sold by Smiffys bits on eBay?

Only the one I'm afraid! I'll ask and see if he's interested in doing more, but apparently they're a pain!

#545 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:38 AM

Looking good Steve! I may have missed it from your notes, but is your bulk head insulation the one that is being sold by Smiffys bits on eBay?

Only the one I'm afraid! I'll ask and see if he's interested in doing more, but apparently they're a pain!

Cheers Steve, but if it was a pain it was probably pricey! I'll either go for the Smiffy one, or just leave it without (as it has been since I had it).

#546 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 07:00 PM

A few bits done but nothing major.

Finally got the rear seats, belts and door bins in. The car had a massive hoover out after! It had loads of clipped cable ties, cut wire sheaths and grass lol!

7uqUBwI.jpg

Which gave me opportunity to FINALLY get the front seats in. I promised my mum she'd be the first person to sit in it once the front seats are in, so she's now happy!

WgVrS2G.jpg

NDLvfHu.jpg

Had a play with the dashboard - this should annoy the purists!

BAPWISj.jpg

Next is a bit of CAD (Card Aided Design) for my charge cooler radiator.  This is the ideal side to get in the space I have. I've emailed a fair few companies to have it custom made - i'm not expecting sympathetic prices :(

47zuxj9.jpg

2ugBchs.jpg

he6BMQr.jpg

MQIghzt.jpg

Thats it for now! Still scratching my head over where to mount the fuel pressure regulator, MAP sensor and ECU.

#547 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 12:27 PM

A small update as i'm indecisive when it comes to mounting hardware in the engine bay.. i'll get there.

Anyway, got the new parts of the exhaust bought and mocked up. Turns out they face the wrong way to what I want, so going to have to find someone local to make a section to join them up! There's a bit of paralax error in this pic as it looks like they're quite close together, they're actually about 4" away from each other and can't get them any closer due to the shifter box.

f1Uyf1U.jpg

Next was the arrival of my AEM wideband controller! The idea of this will be to replace the standard closed loop lambda with the wideband and have the controller feed the ECU with the 0-5v feed it provides to allow the ECU to make minor corrections where necessary - but also to allow it to self tune a little! As the old lambda looked rough around the edges I made a patch loom from its plug and the AEM loom. This means the gauge will be powered from the multi-relay, have the correct ground as well as the relevant -ve and +ve sensor signal the ECU needs. It also means the entire thing is reversible should it need it.

83wcx8u.jpg

RRYFPyr.jpg

YLurgBF.jpg

eaDWuPR.jpg

Also test fit the fog lights

3XhNIyw.jpg

I've ordered the parts for the oil catch system and turbo coolant lines. Had to have a head scratch about how to mount the air filter as i'm running out of engine bay space rapidly!

#548 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 01:11 PM

Looking good Steve! Can't wait to see it up and running. I love how it's retaining an almost OEM look, despite all the special bits!

In your research, did you come across any full kits for fitting a Turbo to an MPI? I've seen the same sort of thing for Superchargers (Vmaxscart) but never seen an MPI specific 'off the shelf' kit for Turbocharging.

#549 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 01:56 PM

Looking good Steve! Can't wait to see it up and running. I love how it's retaining an almost OEM look, despite all the special bits!

In your research, did you come across any full kits for fitting a Turbo to an MPI? I've seen the same sort of thing for Superchargers (Vmaxscart) but never seen an MPI specific 'off the shelf' kit for Turbocharging.

Thanks chap! There is literally nothing out there for these blocks.

#550 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 11:56 AM

Cheers Steve, but if it was a pain it was probably pricey! I'll either go for the Smiffy one, or just leave it without (as it has been since I had it).

I'd be interested in one, as the ones available have too many cut outs or ones in the wrong places for things like servo and heater pipes, all of witch aren't needed for an earlier mini. Or even just a blank one, as all I'd need to do is make a hole for a single heater pipe, 2 fuse box screws, speedo cable and hole for the wring behind the wiper motor.

#551 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 12:02 PM

The Minispares bulkhead foam is great, they are cut out, but the cutouts are left 'in' so you could tape them on the back?

Q

Edited by jamesquintin, 02 June 2018 - 12:02 PM.

#552 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:47 PM

Slow progress as i still can't make up my mind about brackets :mmkay:

Speaking of brackets, i made the actuator bracket up in 3mm steel! Tested out and it worked brilliantly! No flex!

1znaWF3.jpg

Installed the water pipes for the turbo, this took some head scratching as there's no natural place to take the feed from. The MPi has a 6mm restrictor between the thermostat to heater matrix and heater matrix to water pump. The viper hoses doesn't have this in it, so cut the pipe in half and installed reducer adapters.

EydIYCV.jpg

Installed the wideband gauge to a new mount - this will need more work in the future, but currently its holding it nicely somewhere I can see it when driving!

9KJB5gH.jpg

Catch can bought, this will be mounted in the N/S inner wing and the pipes running from the rocker cover and timing cover.

2nTNRYk.jpg

Downpipe wrapped to keep the engine bay temperatures down

ufYafwn.jpg

All spot lights on and working! Forgot how bright these were O_O

Snlq7Sf.jpg

Now one of the bits i was dreading - Livery! It took some thinking and an hours worth of research/pestering people online to get the measurements but finally got them on!

gU3r8kE.jpg

uzFcV8L.jpg

rVq1LjJ.jpg?1

The inlet manifold, lower downpipe and charge cooler are off to Fusion Fabrications for work. In the mean time i need to still work out where to mount the fuel pressure regulator and MAP sensor :shy:

#553 dave_39

dave_39

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:22 PM

Are you using the pressure regulator from the SC kit?

I mounted mine on the passenger side cross member gusset. Where the purge valve is.

#554 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 10:05 PM

Any pics Dave?

#555 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,427 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.O.C

Posted 13 June 2018 - 05:37 AM

wow this is really coming along now! nice work! Do love those mpi interiors

Edited by minimissions, 13 June 2018 - 05:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users