#691 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,895 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 31 January 2019 - 11:46 AM

Looking great as per! Chris will do it proud with the mapping, excited to see the results! :D
Bet you can't wait out for a drive when the weathers better!

With 13's you should be fine on his rollers, when mine was there on 10's we had to balance it on 2 rollers as it was too low.. :lol:

Thanks Sam! My biggest concern is where he's going to strap it down on the car!

#692 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 31 January 2019 - 08:55 PM

Nice to meet you on sunday, very tidy car & thanks for displaying my company sticker under your bonnet all day.

Phil.

#693 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:10 PM

Nice to meet you on sunday, very tidy car & thanks for displaying my company sticker under your bonnet all day.

Phil.

You too chap! And you're welcome!

#694 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 01:02 PM

Moving towards my mapping session, i've finally got round to adjusting the idle to just shy of 1000rpm. However the car has been throwing a lot of burnt oil out the exhaust and it has had me concerned. I did the next obvious thing and checked the bores with a boroscope to see whats going on inside.

I found splashes of oil on all the piston crowns. As an NB - i now know this is normal on a newly build engine before the rings bed themselves in and with the amount i've started it. However, at the time, i had no idea, so whipped the head off to do some investigating.

iZF7L13.jpg

Head off and this is what I found.

S0gYgPa.jpg?1

qHw1M2A.jpg

Oil in every bore. The coolant is from when i lifted the head. The patch on the far left is due to the head being drilled for 11 studs and me only using 9. I've got some 12mm core plugs now to keep the water out.

Gave the block and pistons a quick wipe. The studs and old gasket were removed after.

cPToUAC.jpg?1

AAeIgJW.jpg

Exhaust valve covered in oil (no surprised) and evidence the car was over fuelling.

JShHMC5.jpg

IElxrer.jpg

Whilst the cylinder head was off, and coolant drained, I got round to doing some small jobs I'd wanted to do but never had the chance after the rebuild - Wiring re-routed to a less stressful route, heat proof sleeves over anything near the exhaust/turbo and re-adjusted the inlet piping.

Dgo9f67.jpg

So, what does this all mean? Well the engine hasn't been run in (as you'll know), the map on the ecu is terrible (as SC keep fobbing me off or ignoring emails) and ive had to start the car a few times to sort out the idle as well as try and get her off the trailer and source a fuel leak around the rear of the car. I did panic about all this but thankfully Turbo Phil has put my mind at rest about it all. As the engine is practically new inside, tolerances are tight and the rings are not bedded in. Because of this there is blow by and the oil will settle on the piston dishes. A lot of small runs or starts will exacerbate this, hense the large amount and the fuelling for the car is totally off. The honing marks are all fine and there is no glazing of the bores. So whats the plan? - Put it back together and leave it the hell alone until my mapping session on the 21st!

Also got my bargain of the week, 4 spotlight covers for £62!

b8CnHJv.jpg

#695 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 05:02 PM

Cheers Steve, I'd not seen those before. Just ordered 4 from Rimmers  :D

Stu.

#696 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 05:23 PM

Cheers Steve, I'd not seen those before. Just ordered 4 from Rimmers :D

Stu.

No worries chap!

#697 bdean

bdean

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 03:35 PM

PLkUSKK.jpg

Did you have your steering wheel recovered? It looks great for an original fitment. 

#698 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 04:45 PM

PLkUSKK.jpg

Did you have your steering wheel recovered? It looks great for an original fitment.

Yes, in the same vinyl rover used.

#699 bdean

bdean

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 06:42 PM

[/quote]

Yes, in the same vinyl rover used.[/quote]

Was this done by JCS Custom or another?

#700 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 07:28 PM

It was done by Royal Steering, Jack did an amazing job with the spare vinyl!

#701 bdean

bdean

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 09:30 AM

Well a productive day! My magnecors finally arrived! Put the coil pack mount back on the car and connected all up - I now have a sweet running engine, took for the car for a little drive and couldn't get the smile off my face again :D

5B34CDF5-B814-40A3-9660-F2F77D16067A.jpg

Do you have the Magnecor P/N for these? Their catalogue shows 40237 for the 8mm E-Sports but you mentioned they sent the wrong connections? Was this simply a mistake on their part?

#702 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 02:16 PM

Well a productive day! My magnecors finally arrived! Put the coil pack mount back on the car and connected all up - I now have a sweet running engine, took for the car for a little drive and couldn't get the smile off my face again :D

5B34CDF5-B814-40A3-9660-F2F77D16067A.jpg

Do you have the Magnecor P/N for these? Their catalogue shows 40237 for the 8mm E-Sports but you mentioned they sent the wrong connections? Was this simply a mistake on their part?

The ends were the wrong colour. These were a custom set! I got a set of red ends (I mean who does red with blue anyway?! Lol) I sent them back and asked for black.

#703 Chris Donaldson

Chris Donaldson

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Local Club: ISMOC

Posted 21 February 2019 - 08:08 PM

I see you don’t have the radio in it. Do you have the original radio?

#704 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 10:15 PM

I see you don’t have the radio in it. Do you have the original radio?

When i bought the car, it came with a rubbish headunit. I do have a Phillips/rover CD head unit, but music is after getting the car road worthy!

#705 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 09:40 AM

Rather than take millions of photos and put them up, thought i'd put a vid together of mapping prep and a bit of the day at EFI Parts. On the day itself, everything went to plan once the SC software behaved! Although once on the dyno and at temperature, she sprung a coolant leak - the heater matrix pipe burst off in the engine bay and dumped about a litre all over the engine bay and rollers. A simple fix, but felt embarassed about it for a while. The rest of the mapping session went great! Got to hear the turbo really spool up and the dump valve fire (in the vid near the end). On one of the runs Chris used to scale the higher boost fuelling, we say 90bhp at just shy of 4k rpm at 4psi O_O There's definitely plenty of scope for much more power once she's run in!

So she's back home now.  Today's plan is to clean all the coolant off the paintwork and engine bay then investigate a knocking noise on the rear end i noticed as i drove off the rollers and over some speed bumps :mmkay:

Edited by Steve220, 22 February 2019 - 09:46 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)