827 replies to this topic

#751 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 08:28 PM

Shame about the problems you've had, especially an engine build so soon. As you say it's so frustrating.  What was wrong with your second gear? When are you hoping to have it back on the road? IMM?

Second gear pops out occasionally on over run, John is looking into it. I'm hoping to have the car back together before the 18th as it is due to be at RIAT for the RAF Mini Club! As long as i can get the engine and gearbox a week tomorrow, i should be able to get it together and running! Cleaning won't take long as it's ceramic coated.

Oh right, that's annoying having been rebuilt by somebody else, but some things you don't know until you drive it. good luck, thats not long :lol:

#752 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 04 July 2019 - 08:42 PM

Shame about the problems you've had, especially an engine build so soon. As you say it's so frustrating.  What was wrong with your second gear? When are you hoping to have it back on the road? IMM?

Second gear pops out occasionally on over run, John is looking into it. I'm hoping to have the car back together before the 18th as it is due to be at RIAT for the RAF Mini Club! As long as i can get the engine and gearbox a week tomorrow, i should be able to get it together and running! Cleaning won't take long as it's ceramic coated.

Oh right, that's annoying having been rebuilt by somebody else, but some things you don't know until you drive it. good luck, thats not long :lol:

John built it in the first place, hence why he wanted it back :lol: took the opportunity to whack an ATB in there whilst it was apart!

#753 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 5,641 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 04 July 2019 - 09:24 PM

Hope all goes well Steve!

I was gonna say, Chris at EFI just knows what he’s doing, think mine was the 3rd/4th a series he’d done, but he knew what to look for, knew about the Siamese / port robbing and how to deal with it on the Sc setup.
As you say, richer side than lean side for being safer.

On the plus side, you’ll find the shell rewards app comes in handy aha

#754 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 09:26 PM

Hope all goes well Steve!

I was gonna say, Chris at EFI just knows what he’s doing, think mine was the 3rd/4th a series he’d done, but he knew what to look for, knew about the Siamese / port robbing and how to deal with it on the Sc setup.
As you say, richer side than lean side for being safer.

On the plus side, you’ll find the shell rewards app comes in handy aha

Cheers Sam! I'll get there ?

#755 hazpalmer14

hazpalmer14

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Local Club: cumbria mini cruisers

Posted 05 July 2019 - 05:38 PM

Gutted about the engine! At least you can sort some upgrades now, im envious of the ATB you'll have to comment on what it is like. Im going to get mine tuned on 95 as its readily available and then maybe use 98 or an octane booster as a small safety margin

#756 Anthony30

Anthony30

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 05 July 2019 - 07:09 PM

John built it in the first place, hence why he wanted it back :lol: took the opportunity to whack an ATB in there whilst it was apart!

:highfive: Should put the power down much better with a quaife diff. :shades: 

#757 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 06:49 PM

4 hour turn around for the turbo, i thought they were ringing to say there was an issue O_O

zYWjXXf.jpg

While i've got a bit of time, rebuilt it with new gaskets, o rings and seals

ris4JD4.jpg

Then bagged it to keep the dirt out

qnZ3Zd8.jpg

Also installed the Minivations phone holder, much better than the silly ash tray.

jfOvwvy.jpg

I've tentatively booked 5 Aug 19 for mapping with Chris at EFI Parts, so hopefully i'll have the car on the road and some miles on by then!

#758 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 09:28 PM

A fair bit has gone on since last update! Whilst the engine was away, i bought a few bits and cleaned up some parts.

Got myself a set of MED 1.3:1 roller rockers and some crackle black paint... i may have got carried away O_O

DCPnv3L.jpg

1TJkPJO.jpg

FFzDGU8.jpg

tQ2NcK1.jpg

Top of the rad

T84hnWN.jpg

Rad bracket

b2oAfFG.jpg

Managed to get men's finals tickets at Wimbledon, so took a break from it!

0RkaMFl.jpg

8S6FuLe.jpg

And back to the car.. Went to get the engine from SMMC, they did the following:

Bore +40
Machine for 11 stud
Machine for centre strap
Machined A+ rods to equal weight
Acid cleaned
Fit MED pistons to rods
Build engine with new
Fit all new bearings
New core and oil gallery plugs

As soon as it was home, the paint came out!

1iTP7G1.jpg

tWfrNtI.jpg

Had to trim the windage tray to fit the new centre strap studs

6pbQSlO.jpg

Gearbox onto block and checked primary gear tolerances, almost bang on 0.1mm :shades: (needed to be between 0.088 & 0.16mm)

8X8RXY8.jpg

Transfer case, clutch, wok, timing gear and head studs on!

VJmFb1P.jpg

Head on and torqued up

AQfzTxc.jpg

Gerin' ya barsteward

xxVGRLG.jpg

ZrrVujU.jpg

Turbo and inlet on

Jdw3F9t.jpg

More stuff added

tDnh7IV.jpg

62BrF9i.jpg

Plugs came out and cranked for oil pressure.  Oil level checked and finally started! Ran for 20 minutes @2500rpm to knock in the cam! Chargecooler rad and piping added!

[mp4]https://i.imgur.com/CSbZ9YR.mp4[/mp4]

7GchWSH.jpg

Oil and filter changed, head torqued and left for the evening. I need to find her bonnet :mmkay: I left it somewhere in the house! Then time to run her in!!

Edited by Steve220, 19 July 2019 - 09:43 PM.

#759 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 09:47 PM

Top work getting all that done so quickly  :thumbsup: Can't beat the wrinkle finish paint :lol:

#760 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 06:27 AM

Top work getting all that done so quickly :thumbsup: Can't beat the wrinkle finish paint :lol:

It's been at a moderate pace. If I can do this in 2 days, those that are whinging that they need to install carpet or do an oil change before IMM can ?
I do like the crackle black, I had my cam covers on all my evos done in the same finish, however it was a powder cost then.

#761 Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 07:02 PM

Love the crackle paint. Engine looks immense. Good work!

#762 Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 07:06 PM

Love the crackle paint. Engine looks immense. Good work!

#763 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 07:45 AM

not jealus at all!

Two questions, how will you be running your engine in (will have to do mine at some point) and what paint did you use on the block?

Q

#764 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 08:24 AM

not jealus at all!

Two questions, how will you be running your engine in (will have to do mine at some point) and what paint did you use on the block?

Q

I knock the cam in again (2000-2500rpm for 20 minutes) as a matter of course then drop the oil and replace the filter.
the next engine start is to get the car off the drive and get some load on the engine to bed the rings in. I do pulls at near what from 2k to 4.5k then let it engine brake down to 2k again. Do that 4 times then give it a few minutes to cool then go again. After 100 miles I increase the revs to 5k and so on. I did this process on my last engine, the engine stopped breathing heavily after 300 miles and I didn't get blue smoke anymore, which usually indicates its run in.

Engine paint is black engine enamel ?

Edited by Steve220, 21 July 2019 - 08:25 AM.

#765 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 08:31 AM

Cool.

Are you using the car normally in this period, or only runngon it in? Did you do it all in one go or over a few days...?

Also what the situation with running it in and the MOT/Insurance? Obvisouly my car has neither at the mo...

Cheers
JQ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users