Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,895 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 21 July 2019 - 11:34 AM

Cool.

Are you using the car normally in this period, or only runngon it in? Did you do it all in one go or over a few days...?

Also what the situation with running it in and the MOT/Insurance? Obvisouly my car has neither at the mo...
Cheers
JQ

I only take the car out to run it in, but thats my preference. I do 50 miles at a time as it gets boring after a while :lol: I usually try and do as many miles as possible in one go.

Your car will most likely pass an MOT whilst the car is in the early stages of running in. I went to the MOT station the long way ;)

#767 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 01:46 PM

Quite a big update! After getting the engine together and beginning the run in, i found that boost was sporadic. I began to fault find but unfortunately it mean taking the head off again :mmkay: I lapped in all valves, checked tolerances, got the manifolds skimmed and took the turbo back to where it was reconditioned for them to check it out. Incase the actuator was tired, i bought a Forge Motorsport item. I did find an air leak in the spacer plate, you can just see where the fuel has soaked it.

VWc1UUN.jpg

MeOcK1N.jpg

MJWgGPz.jpg

gxFpdBz.jpg

7L4E6OS.jpg

YtBQfGP.jpg

ypW66Wa.jpg

eghbEdN.jpg

JscduHM.jpg

CaarhPx.jpg

Then getting it ready for Gaydon Mini/Metro show, i snapped a stud O_O

xiAM5lo.jpg

Managed to get there just fine in the end whilst still running the engine in :lol: the boost control is a lot better, however it still wasn't right

vJJZaVq.jpg

dQ81kBZ.jpg

Then my starter motor packed up :mmkay:  Got a new one installed as soon as the doors opened at Old Skool Mini's on monday :lol:

xEOIzMO.jpg

Dropped the oil and replaced with Miller CTV and a new filter, then off to EFI Parts for mapping! I told Chris about the boosting issues and he felt the old map may not be helping if the timing isn't quite right. Car was given the once over, a discussion about mods, fuel being used etc and I let him crack on! Chris used det cans this time after i told him about my previous experience. Lucky he did as it was pinking its nuts off when it coming into boost.

28P3WX5.jpg

bJxGBsG.jpg

N8TqNMe.jpg

A very healthy 130bhp 150lbft at 12psi :shades: happy with that! However it did develop a misfire around peak torque. We changed the leads and the plugs and it still did it, so thinking either a lean event in one of the cylinders or the coil pack is breaking up.

Onto IMM prep! Car was covered in greasy hand prints, so did the usual spruce up and got my stickers on

AMv4wQL.jpg

Then onto IMM! I drove down through Wales with some of the vlogging lads as one of them had come over from America and wanted to see the roads.

pq2Xme1.jpg

Yuc7Fhy.jpg

Car drove faultlessly! Although plastered in mud by the end of it  :lol: Was a great weekend despite the weather! Home and a full wheel/bumper/arches off clean to prepare for Mini in the Park!

jexRmtM.jpg

Thanks to all that came and said hi, really good to catch up and put faces to names!

#768 Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 02:03 PM

Every time I see Felix I think you have the stance spot on.  Great photos.  :mrcool:

#769 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 02:20 PM

Every time I see Felix I think you have the stance spot on.  Great photos.  :mrcool:

Thanks Ben! Really appreciated mate.

#770 Dannyboolahlah

Dannyboolahlah

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:01 PM

Every time I see Felix I think you have the stance spot on. Great photos. :mrcool:

Agreed. Love this car.

#771 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 03:21 PM

Every time I see Felix I think you have the stance spot on. Great photos. :mrcool:

Agreed. Love this car.

Thanks chap!

#772 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 07:56 PM

Mini in the Park today! Ive not been to the ones at Santa Pod, so can't really say whether it compared, however i enjoyed the day despite it being very heavily Bini oriented. Good to catch up with a few people from the forum too! Topped off I somehow won the Modified Classic Mini show and shine!

cg61kVU.jpg

mwEMPCr.jpg

3KaEdmm.jpg

#773 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 18 August 2019 - 09:48 PM

Nice one mate, as I’ve said before it’s a stunning car.
It’s a shame the Binis are taking over MITP, I remember the years it was at Cornbury Park in Oxfordshire 100’s of Minis pretty much as far as you could see.

Phil.

#774 Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 09:23 AM

Well deserved!  Felix is an awesome example of an MPI.  It has certainly acted as inspiration for my project.  :genius:

#775 JonBooth

JonBooth

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 05:52 AM

Hi Steve, it was great to meet you at MITP the car looks superb. Great work and I hope you get it running 100%. Cheers, Jon.

#776 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 10:14 AM

Hi Steve, it was great to meet you at MITP the car looks superb. Great work and I hope you get it running 100%. Cheers, Jon.

And you, Jon!

After speaking to Gav (turbo charged mini van) I've got a new plan for over the winter. He's using a staged injection system on his MPi turbo. One injector on the bend before the manifold that faces directly down the airflow towards the engine, that is primary, then an injector directly before the inlet manifold as a secondary. The ecu is set up to stage the second injector to flow once the MAP sees 8psi (primary injector is roughly at 70%-80% duty at this point depending on RPM) and transition is seamless! Fuel distribution is great and he's making around 140bhp on a stock MPi block and head at 10.1:1 CR with zero det! Think of what it could make on a modern turbo with a lower CR! I got the old fag packet out and came up with some drawings last night. Once I've worked out what parts I need, and which ECU can facilitate it (looking like Haltech Elite 1000 at the moment) then V2.0 of the inlet begins!

Edited by Steve220, 20 August 2019 - 10:18 AM.

#777 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 02:59 PM

Thought i'd update this as its been a fair while!

Since IMM and MITP, i attended Mini in the Mountains, a great day out with some of the local lads and a blast through Snowdon national park! Topped it off with winning People's choice Award.

CN2MJEV.jpg

r173aWv.jpg

Also attended Stanford and gave concours a go, scored quite well, but not well enough for trophies, up against some seriously clean cars!

UQOpdD8.jpg

Did a bit up updating in the engine bay. Main one is to fit the minispares inlet manifold as it is ported better than my previous, and fit some take offs onto the side of the throttlebody before the injector to prevent fuel ingress.

mcsiiAD.jpg

2psg2Eu.jpg

NHRITn1.jpg

P4GMwHu.jpg

6XEtcsP.jpg

Also replaced the sportspack gauges with AEM X series oil pressure, temp and their boost controller

jvgdGbG.jpg

f51f8vm.jpg

fXA1toP.jpg

As the weather was getting damp towards the end of the year, i also bought a Air-flow air chamber as the garage is always damp. Would easily kill a mini in a matter of years!

FTS9s21.jpg

New year, new show season and was at Bingley. Great to see familiar faces and some new ones on the forum. Walked away with first place in pride of ownership! Incredibly made up as at the beginning of the week, the car wasn't even going!

Z5hwrCh.jpg

BHrcG6Z.jpg

upYu8HN.jpg

hwrTiFW.jpg

Next major plan is to change the ECU. Getting a bit fed up with the D400 and its unsufferably difficult software.

#778 Junior Mini

Junior Mini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 06:44 PM

Saw this at Bingley, even better in the flesh  :wub:

Tried to come and talk to you but you were always well in conversation.

#779 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 09:19 PM

Saw this at Bingley, even better in the flesh  :wub:

Tried to come and talk to you but you were always well in conversation.

It was a busy day! Maybe next time chap! :shades:

#780 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 01:10 PM

MOT time! Had to do some minor work, re-sit the catalytic converter... from the shelf to the car :lol:

JjLQqyQ.jpg

Put the rasp over the flange to check condition and could see why its always struggled to seal :mmkay: Spent a few minutes flattening it and bolter her up tight, no leaks!

ri9F7iB.jpg

Managed to get the car's MOT sorted before everything shut down! I was gobsmacked to be told the results of the emissions, they were the lowest they've ever been! Even lower than when it had the MPi gubbins attached! O_O  Although, they got the mileage wrong :mmkay:

82knNz0.jpg

As i'm about to have some free time on my hands, I have done a Minispares order for a replacement gear set, a new cam and associated parts! So once the weather takes it turns, the engine will be out :shades:

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users