#1 Helldriver

Helldriver

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:47 PM

Hi,
I have read here in the forum in several threats that cut A032 165-70-10 are also very good to use as wet tyres on the track. But how to cut them? What tools do I need and how to do this properly?
For wet track days or as 2nd set wet tyres for training purposes where the last second doesn't count this would come very handy as they are much cheaper then wet slicks. Also this is my first track classic mini so I need no first class material to get used to it under different conditions.
Thank you.

#2 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:52 PM

A032r tyres aren't slicks so i'm not sure what you are asking when you want to know how to cut them. Plus I have read they are an "aquatusk" design (read on tyre selling websites) and designed to effectively displace water from under them. Apparently they have better wet grip than the A008 tyres. 

#3 Helldriver

Helldriver

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:13 PM

A032r tyres aren't slicks so i'm not sure what you are asking when you want to know how to cut them. Plus I have read they are an "aquatusk" design (read on tyre selling websites) and designed to effectively displace water from under them. Apparently they have better wet grip than the A008 tyres. 

a032 are semi slick but can be additionally cut so they are able to handle the same or nearly the amount of water then wet slicks. But how to do this properly and what tools are needed?

A032 are semis and usable if track is wet but if it is really raining "original A032" are not usable as they have not enough profile and/or depth to handle standing water but cutting them additionally can change this but how?

Edited by Helldriver, 21 January 2015 - 09:13 PM.

#4 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:17 PM

I see, well I can only presume by increasing the depth of the channels, but by how much I wouldn't want to say, it's obviously a safety critical item and I have no experience with cutting slicks 

#5 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:27 PM

You need a regooving tool to modify the tread. Clicky

What series are you racing in?

#6 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:32 PM

If you hunt enough on the 'net you'll find a picture of where the additional cuts should be put in.
You certainly DO NOT increase the tread depth, that would be dangerous as you'd be getting near to the multiple plies of the carcass construction.

I regularly add cuts to A-008s to give better water dispersion.

#7 Helldriver

Helldriver

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:08 PM

If you hunt enough on the 'net you'll find a picture of where the additional cuts should be put in.
You certainly DO NOT increase the tread depth, that would be dangerous as you'd be getting near to the multiple plies of the carcass construction.

I regularly add cuts to A-008s to give better water dispersion.

hi Graeme, actually it was standing in a threat A008 versus A032 you wrote that a32 cut is much better then a A008 cut in wet.

I already searched for several hours but couldn't find a picture of a cut A032, so if you or anybody else please post here. On a A008 it is pretty obvious where and what to cut but on an A032???? Hope you could help...

In swiss Mini challenge with mini r56 we increased the A048 tread depth by 1.5mm as only the A048 was allowed to use in the challenge and additional cuts where not allowed (actually no modification on the tyre but nobody incl. technical inspector realized during 5 years doing this. This gave me approx 20kmh more top speed before aquaplaning compared to original depth and a much better control with standing water. On A048 there is 2.5mm rubber on the 215-45-17 from bottom of original thread till the steel carcass so no problem to go 1.5mm deeper. Only makes sense for set of rain tyres for more water dispersion, not to be able to use them longer.

Edited by Helldriver, 21 January 2015 - 10:10 PM.

#8 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:41 PM

I can't find the picture now either. Drat!

Basically you extend the blind /closed groove outwards with a 'tick' so it matches the full grooves. If you look at the bigger diameter a032s you can see the start of the 'tick' you are trying to copy.

I run cut A008s as they work in all conditions, there is a risk that cut 032s could overheat in the dry as you're reducing the tread block size and with the soft compound they'll move around a lot.

Edited by GraemeC, 21 January 2015 - 10:43 PM.

#9 Helldriver

Helldriver

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:43 AM

I can't find the picture now either. Drat!

Basically you extend the blind /closed groove outwards with a 'tick' so it matches the full grooves. If you look at the bigger diameter a032s you can see the start of the 'tick' you are trying to copy.

I run cut A008s as they work in all conditions, there is a risk that cut 032s could overheat in the dry as you're reducing the tread block size and with the soft compound they'll move around a lot.

that helped to get an idea....but a picture of a cut one will me feel more comfortable doing this right.

if it is dry I will use slicks or original A032 if semis/road legal tires required.

And if a cut a032 heats easier up this is welcome during rain use where temperatures are lower. And I can take hardly used old A032 so the compound is a bit harder, easy to buy them used for small money.

#10 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:34 PM

Having used them under heavy rain conditions i found them surpsingly good and can say the A032 works really well and i wouldnt add extra cuts.

I'd cut a A008 instead, these are very poor at escaping water.

Edited by jaydee, 22 January 2015 - 01:34 PM.

#11 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:02 PM

Not the diagram I remember, but does the trick:
http://rallye-forez....ail&sr=a032r300

#12 Artful Dodger

Artful Dodger

" I AM THE SPECIAL ONE"

• Members
  • 4,435 posts
  • Local Club: aint no body got time fo dat

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:03 PM

just thought i will add, if you plan to use this in any form of club racing on track you cant cut tyres anymore. we have a massive issue at spa last year and got MSA etc involved. basically if you have to run 1A or 1B tyres for your championship you cant cut them.  it says in this years new regs. 

but if not, just a tyre regrover from demon tweeks should do it! have a practice with a few scrap tyres and pick up the general idea and its pretty easy :)

#13 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:07 PM

just thought i will add, if you plan to use this in any form of club racing on track you cant cut tyres anymore. we have a massive issue at spa last year and got MSA etc involved. basically if you have to run 1A or 1B tyres for your championship you cant cut them.  it says in this years new regs. 

but if not, just a tyre regrover from demon tweeks should do it! have a practice with a few scrap tyres and pick up the general idea and its pretty easy :)

Another reason rallying is better ;) less queens whining about people taking the iniciative... not like the cutters are rare!

#14 Helldriver

Helldriver

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:41 PM

Not the diagram I remember, but does the trick:
http://rallye-forez....ail&sr=a032r300

you rock, that is exactly what I needed :-)  thank you.

#15 Helldriver

Helldriver

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:59 PM

thank you for the hint. Yes I am aware of this. Did you have cut slicks as wet tyre when they made problems at Spa? Don't think anybody would even realize adding some grooves to the a032 if done properly like in the diagram above.

As mentioned I want to have them to get used to the classic with the r1 engine on track days or training days, come from the R56 new mini challenge, so I will use this on track days if wet to exercise and test the limits.

If Mini 7 club accepts Lynx R1 miglia for the miglia invitation class I would definitely join the miglia series, mine is a ex BTC car build to miglia specs and technical identical to lynx r1 migila.

Have dunlop slicks and dunlop wet tyre if officially needed but especially here in switzerland they care more about "slick allowed" or "only street legal tyre=semi" allowed on the track day...insurance issue :-(

Edited by Helldriver, 22 January 2015 - 11:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users