#1 Adam1275

Adam1275

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Local Club: Causeway Coast Mini Club

Posted 25 January 2015 - 06:39 PM

As title says, I'm thinking about getting some suspension components, etc powder coated along with the front and rear sub frame. Was wondering what the advantages and disadvantages to it are and if its a good choice. 

Thanks 

#2 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,897 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 25 January 2015 - 06:41 PM

Advantages, if applied correctly lasts a very long time. Most powder coaters have quite a range of colours as well

Disadvantages, if its chipped then it can be a pain. Needs to be media blasted to remove it.

#3 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 06:49 PM

To add to Neil, If it chips and is left unnoticed and untreated, the rust can form under the coating causing it to peel of in sheets leaving a miserable rusty mess underneath.

Ben

#4 Adam1275

Adam1275

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 07:01 PM

Thanks 

so does that means I would be better getting the sub frames sprayed with some tough durable paint that would have less chance peeling off. 

#5 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 07:08 PM

Quite a few people report on here that they have had subframes powdercoated some time ago and they are still in good shape.

I don't think it's something that would happen from the slightest little stone flicking up. I expect it would be fine. I am just letting you know of one of the potential disadvantages.

#6 Adam1275

Adam1275

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 07:11 PM

I know what you mean seen alot of projects on here with powder coated subframes and they seem to have no problems it probably is durable I just don't want to be replacing the subframe again 5 years down the line, 

Thanks for your help

#7 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,897 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 07:12 PM

It would take some serious impact to chip powdercoat. I tried to remove powder coating on a bike frame, what a nightmare. Its durable as hell.

Lets put it this way i'm powder coating every thing i can on my resto, subbies, suspension components etc etc. Oh and the wheels as well.

I will be seam welding both subbies before powder coating to add that bit of extra strength.

#8 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 07:13 PM

Also with powdercoating you need the parts to be blasted/cleaned back to bare metal witch adds to the cost over normal painting. Plus with the rear subframe you still have to find a way of protecting the internal box sections, witch powdercoating simply won't reach and are the main areas that rust.  

#9 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,897 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 07:14 PM

Also with powdercoating you need the parts to be blasted/cleaned back to bare metal witch adds to the cost over normal painting. Plus with the rear subframe you still have to find a way of protecting the internal box sections, witch powdercoating simply won't reach and are the main areas that rust.  

Waxoyl!! thats what we have done on my lads car.

#10 myredmini

myredmini

My Mummy Says It's OK

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • Name: Dan
  • Local Club: BOG MOG

Posted 25 January 2015 - 07:20 PM

What some people don't realise is, powdercoat only adheres at its best by having a rough basis to stick to, e.g media blasting. The coating we do at work every item is acid dipped to remove any paints etc. Then media blasted to provide a great key for the coating. Then powder coated. I have seen some of the chassis/subframes take some slight damage when refitting an engine for example. And the surrounding coating is very very firmly stuck.

Powdercoating does take some damaging and is a very good coating for suspension components etc.

#11 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 07:21 PM

Waxoyl!! thats what we have done on my lads car.

And is exactly what I've done to the new frame I fitted 2 years ago. Although saying that I did get 8 years out of the old one it replaced, that was just given nothing more than a few coats of hammerite/generic metal paint on a mini thats used all year round.

#12 sprite72

sprite72

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 09:27 AM

Is powder coating better than using a por 15 .or the epoxy 121 coatings or hammerite on the subframes .as I am having this dilemma what to use at the moment

#13 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,897 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:06 AM

Is powder coating better than using a por 15 .or the epoxy 121 coatings or hammerite on the subframes .as I am having this dilemma what to use at the moment

Nobody has done a side by side comparison of products like this certainly in the real world and not on a lab bench. The choice is yours.

Hammerite I would not bother with. It's nowhere as good as it's used to be.

It's down to what you want and what you can afford. If you have a good quality powder coaters near you then go and see them.

#14 Twincam

Twincam

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:22 AM

To throw a spanner in the works (in particular wheels), I've seen in other forums (Evo/Mercedes/Subaru forums etc) that due to powder coating, the properties (strength/hardness etc supposedly up to 30% less strength) of the materials are changed as a result of heating the item up. This then can cause the wheels to become weak and in some instances break. Maybe it's specific wheels (thin spokes?) I don't know - that being said, I see a heck of a lot of tyre shops/repairers offering powder coating.

In any case, if you are to get your wheels done, make sure the bolt holes and the face that touches the hub isn't coated as this could cause the wheel/bolts to become loose. Same if you was to paint the hub face/inside wheel face.

Open to being corrected/people's opinions if I'm wrong.

Edited by Twincam, 26 January 2015 - 10:24 AM.

#15 69k1100

69k1100

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:29 PM

Only thing I'd say is I very much doubt subframes would be heat treated, so baking the powdercoat is unlikely to do anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users