#361 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 12:45 PM

More fun and games...

I tidied up my workbench to start working on the block. I was going to gap all the rings and get the pistons ready. I then discovered the oil ring is too big! I've been supplied a 4mm set, not the 3mm that my pistons require. So they'll have to go back to Minispares. Urrrgh

5JfPhvb.jpg

e0QsPMF.jpg

CBkYmLP.jpg

I decided to get the crank out and make sure its OK. I used plastiguage to measure the running clearance. Its right near the edge of tolerance, but still within. Phew

Can't really do anything on the block until the new rings turn up :(

Q

#362 Tones61

Tones61

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 07:18 PM

Did you get the cam with the cam sensor bit on for the mpi

#363 tankertanker

tankertanker

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 06:20 PM

Nice work, following with interest ,,,

Can I ask your opinion of the clarke tap and die set ?

#364 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 05:38 PM

Did you get the cam with the cam sensor bit on for the mpi

I sure did :)

Nice work, following with interest ,,,

Can I ask your opinion of the clarke tap and die set ?

Its pretty decent, not had a problem with any of the tapping. The handle for the tap (the screw one? not sure which is the tap and which is the die!) does tend to come undone as you are using it

#365 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 05:39 PM

I've had a word with Minispares and they are sending the correct rings now (along with some other bits I've ordered.

I double checked the end float of the crank which is 2-3 thou, which according to the the Haynes manual is correct..?

Q

#366 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 03:26 PM

So, little by little cracking on. I cleaned up all the threads of the block whilst waiting new parts:

cfs994I.jpg

Then I had a look at the bonnet gaps:

NI89g3b.jpg

v6lsses.jpg

gfDnMHX.jpg

gQ0IOY2.jpg

Are they perfect...? No. Will they do? yup

IpDMOQm.jpg

Looking at the car when I had it from (almost) new, it still had the gap in the lower right corner of the bonnet...

Q

#367 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 08:20 AM

Little bit more done. I managed to cut through one of the fuel lines when I was replacing the floor, so that one had to be binned (I got a new old stock one from Somerford Minis last year)

Took all the little tags off and will give them a wash

m9epktB.jpg

3WS8dcj.jpg

2eyEE3U.jpg

dsaAPHz.jpg

Might spray them white just to clean them up.

Q

#368 leepol83

leepol83

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 08:43 AM

Little bit more done. I managed to cut through one of the fuel lines when I was replacing the floor, so that one had to be binned (I got a new old stock one from Somerford Minis last year)

m9epktB.jpg

3WS8dcj.jpg

2eyEE3U.jpg

dsaAPHz.jpg

Q

Hi mate I did this on my mpi and I put the tabs in a washing up bowl in hot water with a dishwasher tablet and let them soak give them a scrub with a brush and they will look new

#369 Alice Dooper

Alice Dooper

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Local Club: Minis in Northern Ireland

Posted 03 April 2020 - 09:13 AM

m9epktB.jpg

3WS8dcj.jpg

2eyEE3U.jpg

dsaAPHz.jpg

Q

Hi mate I did this on my mpi and I put the tabs in a washing up bowl in hot water with a dishwasher tablet and let them soak give them a scrub with a brush and they will look new

I repurposed our dishwasher as a parts cleaner.  Does a great job but wasn’t a great for domestic harmony!!  I have a wee ultrasonic bath too and it works well too.  Did my fuel injectors and there was a good bit of old Carbon goo came out.

#370 leepol83

leepol83

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 10:01 AM

m9epktB.jpg

3WS8dcj.jpg

2eyEE3U.jpg

dsaAPHz.jpg

Q

I repurposed our dishwasher as a parts cleaner. Does a great job but wasn’t a great for domestic harmony!! I have a wee ultrasonic bath too and it works well too. Did my fuel injectors and there was a good bit of old Carbon goo came out.
Same mate that’s why I’ve been downgraded to the bowl, can’t see the issue myself what’s a few oily, greasy parts in the dishwasher gonna do ?‍♂️??????

#371 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 03 April 2020 - 05:30 PM

I put mine in a bowl with boiling hot water and bleach. They came up like new after a few days.

Edited by Steve220, 03 April 2020 - 09:11 PM.

#372 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 06:12 PM

I had been thinking about using retrobriting for all the discoloured white parts.

Seen a few vids on YouTube about it and there are a few interesting methods of doing it.

One guy did a casing for a sega dreamcast game console which had gone from off white to yellow and in places orange and he put it in a plastic box of hydrogen peroxide 15% I think, wrapped the box in strips of uv lights and then foil.

After a night in there, they were restored to new.

Another guy used peroxide for hair colouring in a tube, slathered it all over, wrapped in cling film and left in the sun for a day. Also worked...

Cheers

Ben

#373 RustyAutoCityE

RustyAutoCityE

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 04 April 2020 - 06:59 AM

I had been thinking about using retrobriting for all the discoloured white parts.

Seen a few vids on YouTube about it and there are a few interesting methods of doing it.

One guy did a casing for a sega dreamcast game console which had gone from off white to yellow and in places orange and he put it in a plastic box of hydrogen peroxide 15% I think, wrapped the box in strips of uv lights and then foil.

After a night in there, they were restored to new.

Another guy used peroxide for hair colouring in a tube, slathered it all over, wrapped in cling film and left in the sun for a day. Also worked...

Cheers

Ben

I have used the Hydrogen Peroxide method for non-car projects in the past, and while it works and the results are impressive, I have found the yellowing comes back with a vengence after a year or so.

That said, the results may last longer if the parts are not in direct sunlight.

#374 Tumbleweed-Connection

Tumbleweed-Connection

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 04 April 2020 - 08:47 AM

Isn’t it the opposite? Like if you’ve ever used white oil based paint recently and watched it turn yellow where it’s outside of direct sunlight compared to somewhere like a windowsill - it’s the UV light that keeps it bleached.

#375 RustyAutoCityE

RustyAutoCityE

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 04 April 2020 - 09:09 AM

Isn’t it the opposite? Like if you’ve ever used white oil based paint recently and watched it turn yellow where it’s outside of direct sunlight compared to somewhere like a windowsill - it’s the UV light that keeps it bleached.

Not sure about paint pigment, but I know with the palstics I was using it on the yellowing was a result of the UV reacting with the flame retardant mixed in during manufacture.

I don't think it is such an issue with modern plastics, but anything from the 80's or 90's can suffer quite badly depending on how much the factory used on any given day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users