#406 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 07:01 AM

Project is looking brilliant so far.

1) Seen you still have a stock manifold on your S Works conversion.  Did you keep the original because of the better location of the O2 sensor?  I don't think the Manifold LCB that comes with the kit does a lot, did you notice anything different?  Must admit, I'd like the idea of a heat shield between my manifold and the induction system - had a very minor heat issue causing difficulty starting when a hot engine was causing evaporation when I was waiting for a ferry last year.

2) Could you share your file with the stickers please?  My wife has a fairly fancy printer that can cut as well - I've a file for a stone chip guard for the rear wheel arch.  Has a set on mine for 4 years now and they're still just about invisible.  Will send a set if you want.

3) Seen you putting a sticker on a fuel pipe that looked as if its original - are you going to use the fuel pressure regulator from the S kit again?  I love mine, gets me through MOT nicely and keep a screwdriver in the car for the journey home afterwards.

Loving your work.  Loved your Youtube video on your S conversion too.  Studied it well before I fitted mine.

Thanks.

1 - Had the LCB on when I did the conversion, but they go rusty which makes it difficult to get off at a later date. I could also never get them to seal up properly and it would blow, so decided to go back to factory as I read it didn't make much difference, and I could just bolt it up.

2 - Will DM you

3 - That fuel pipe is the one on the right that you keep, its the lest hand side that is removed during the conversion

Q

#407 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 07:04 AM

Had a tidy up of the garage and got the shell out in the sun and removed all the stuff i'd been storing in it:

0VMpAo2.jpg

0p2qqdY.jpg

Still doing some work on the electrics and need to sort this lot. WIll be adding the remote central locking, heated front screen, stay on interior light and headlight door buzzer:

dm8UU9u.jpg

I'm also still going sticker mad! Replaced the manky ones on the speakers:

0Fvdq78.jpg

io1lnND.jpg

Q

#408 RustyAutoCityE

RustyAutoCityE

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 07:43 AM

I do like the detail you are going into with your project, refreshing the stickers is a nice touch.

With that said, on the speaker sticker there is a slight mistake. Where you have 4n it should be 4 Ω (ohm).

I know it is being picky, but going through your thread you are quite meticulous with the details, and I think you would rather it was right.

Keep up the good work so far, it is interesting to follow along.

#409 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 07:51 AM

I do like the detail you are going into with your project, refreshing the stickers is a nice touch.

With that said, on the speaker sticker there is a slight mistake. Where you have 4n it should be 4 Ω (ohm).

I know it is being picky, but going through your thread you are quite meticulous with the details, and I think you would rather it was right.

Keep up the good work so far, it is interesting to follow along.

ahhhhhh Wondered why there was an odd shaped N ;) Will fix!

Q

#410 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 06:47 PM

Carpet day today. I'm sure most of us have broken plastic seat runners on the carpet. That just won't do! I got the replacement from Newton Commercial. The old carpet needed a bit of work. I stuck some of the underlay back as well as the plastic that protects the rear loom that runs along the floor:

0gtOVut.jpg

ALz16Th.jpg

i26Ul2t.jpg

FCS47MX.jpg

The old runners are quite easy to pull off as they had gone rusty!

t9SPxv4.jpg

ICT0x2S.jpg

Started putting them in. They use split rivets, so you have to knock them in from the back. I used a punch I have to get the pins apart and then finish with the hammer. I also put a bit of gaffer tape on the back to cover the bare pins

V0Sr5EY.jpg

QoqWbGD.jpg

snEV8pI.jpg

Much better! And just for a laugh I put down the Cooper floor mats I got ages ago but never put in the car:

fPsuppe.jpg?1

#411 leepol83

leepol83

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 03:41 PM

Loving this build ?? Top work Q keep em coming, one question can you post up some measurements of the rubber that fits under the fuel tank, doesn’t look like you can buy them anymore
Cheers ??

#412 leepol83

leepol83

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 03:42 PM

Double post ?‍♂️

Edited by leepol83, 26 April 2020 - 03:43 PM.

#413 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 30 April 2020 - 04:48 PM

Been off this for a couple of days, but had a Minispares delivery today (hurrah!)

I've been giving the engine loom a clean up and fixing one or two bodges:

qUbOFHK.jpg

This sticker was manky, so obviously I made a new one!

4n5nF1A.jpg

neNUX10.jpg

I was also missing the clip to hold the loom to the air filter bracket. Its right in the centre as yo open the bonnet and its always annoyed me it wasn't there. So fixed that

Q9qsBEq.jpg

yEfySNA.jpg

Could still do with a bit more cleaning :)

I got some new covers for the track rod ends so started putting those on:

0Bj8jKn.jpg

That'll do for today. Fixing the camshaft timing for good tomorrow :)

Q

#414 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 09:37 AM

back to the engine. Got myself the 2deg woodruff key, so popped that on and checked the timing:

G1p7d3D.jpg

F5bwtUJ.jpg

Kept coming out at 109deg! Tried it the other way around and same result!

I ended up sandpapering the bottom curve it it so it sat better in the camshaft slot. After I did that the timing came out at 106.5deg, which is fine for the cam (according to Swiftune)

Next bit to go back on was the rockers. They were in a plastic box, but some how it was covered in bots of dirt. I stripped it down, clean it up and then got it on the car:

sKsBWgr.jpg

MbzEebl.jpg

6zrlIQ2.jpg

w8lnj3l.jpg

Just need to set the tappet clearance and get the timing cover and other bits back on

Q

#415 MaximMini

MaximMini

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 06:45 AM

Hi James,

Quick question. If you redo your stickers, do you print out pictures you took or found somewhere in the internet? Or do you do them from scratch, doing the writing letter by letter?

Love your incredible details.

Cheers,
Christian

#416 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 04:40 PM

Hi James,

Quick question. If you redo your stickers, do you print out pictures you took or found somewhere in the internet? Or do you do them from scratch, doing the writing letter by letter?

Love your incredible details.

Cheers,
Christian

All done from scratch! Will be putting them on eBay soon

#417 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 04:45 PM

back to the engine. I finished doing the valve clearance (well started from scratch really) and then cracked on with putting all the bits back on properly and not just for show...

heolelW.jpg

o6c0VjX.jpg

dGFmcZo.jpg

NLKbNjk.jpg

JVymdnd.jpg

I noticed my new alternator didn't have a sticker on it. I went back into my archives and found a pic of the engine bay from when I had it (almost) new:

Z7veWm9.jpg

The sticker is a different shape from the ones from other sellers, so I did a shout out on FB for any close up pics of an original one (thanks to those who sent me them!) and I re-designed a new one and printed it off:

p0D09lf.jpg?1

dbUvDN9.jpg

Looks the bee's Knee's! Again these'll be on eBay soon

Q

#418 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 08:47 PM

Look forward to seeing the stickers for sale.

Will you be selling them as complete car days?

Cheers

Ben

#419 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 06:23 AM

Cheers

Ben

I sure will! Getting my head around eBay properly as I've never really sold things like this before. I've got the alternator one on there now:

https://www.ebay.co....em=153918088863

Q

#420 leepol83

leepol83

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 09:19 AM

Cheers
Ben

I sure will! Getting my head around eBay properly as I've never really sold things like this before. I've got the alternator one on there now:

https://www.ebay.co....em=153918088863

Q
Brilliant and a good price too ??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users