#2 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,883 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 22 February 2015 - 12:36 PM

K series engine will fit in. There are companies out there that make subframes for the job. The engine is light which does help however the drawback is it is the K series and notorious for head gaskets failing.

#3 DomCr250

DomCr250

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Local Club: 16V mini club

Posted 22 February 2015 - 01:41 PM

K series engine will fit in. There are companies out there that make subframes for the job. The engine is light which does help however the drawback is it is the K series and notorious for head gaskets failing.

If the head gasket has been replaced correctly then it will not normally fail again - it's a great conversion.  Have a look at the 16 valve mini club forums and you will see they have a great following - anything from 100HP up to 180HP and super cheap engines - you can get a MGF 1.8 VVC MOT fail with 160HP for about £200 - keep the engine / box and the loom and flog the rest off as spares and you are in profit.

Edited by DomCr250, 22 February 2015 - 01:42 PM.

#4 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 08:11 PM

Don't be put off by people claiming HGF. like said above, done properly there are no issues. The cooling system can be sensitive, so you just need to make sure that you follow the correct procedures. Make sure you top up correctly, bleed and top up some more keep going until it's all sorted and they should last as long as any other car.

Decent little engines. If you go full on, you can have 160hp in a mini. Personally I'd go for the 1.6 120 hp version rather than 160.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users