11 replies to this topic

#1 Equinox1275

Equinox1275

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 01:56 PM

Hi guys, this is my brothers mini I'm posting about. Basically it's an awesome car and runs and drives beautifully - when it's not suffering from our electrical problem.

Details of the car:

Registered on the island of Jersey from new until 40,000 miles in 2010 (we have all the details of the import and registration)
Now has 50k on the clock.

New wheels
New crank sensor
New coil pack
12 months MOT (New rear wheel cylinders and brake shoes, swivel joints and knuckle joints)
New reconditioned Gearbox, gasket set & oil filter (1000 miles ago)
Lambda sensor and cat and link pipe done 7000 miles ago.
New refurbished ECU and immobiliser unit.
New Horn

Theres a small amount of bubbling on the doors and on one corner of the windscreen, standard mini stuff, not bad but worth mentioning.

Basically the car went in for some bodywork before we were going to sell the car and for whatever reason developed an electrical issue where the car would cut out randomly and occasionally the alarm or horn would signal.

That mechanic tried his best to fix whatever the problem was and - we suspect - he may have buggered up the wiring loom.

After that we sent it to a really well renowned mini garage, they tried all sorts, we even spent money replacing the ecu and immobiliser because they identified that as the fault but it turned out that didn't end up working either.

The fault is intermittent so the car can give the impression that it's 100% but then the fault occurs. That caused us to give the go ahead on all the MOT work and we've really invested a lot into this little car.

In the end the mini garage cut and removed some wires from the loom to try and bypass the alarm or immobiliser unit. This worked and we picked up the car but after the 1 hour journey home, she was up to her old tricks... Back to square one.

Basically all this car needs is a new loom. We have found someone on this forum who has kindly offered to fit it for us at our home address but we also need to source one and as you can tell from what's been done to this car we've spent 1000s of pounds and we are coming to you guys to see whether it might be worth giving it to someone else to replace rather than waste any more money.

How much do you reckon we can get for it with this fault?

Also how much would the car be worth IF we were to replace the loom and it was working?

The car will run fine but the fault is very intermittent so it could cut out and be immobilised for hours. It's a right headache!!!

Thank you so much,

Regards,

The Kelly Brothers

Attached File  image.jpg   83.33K   29 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   89.93K   25 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   58.98K   25 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   56.15K   21 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   125.27K   18 downloads

Edited by Equinox1275, 27 February 2015 - 02:04 PM.

#2 Montytom

Montytom

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 02:56 PM

Hi guys, this is my brothers mini I'm posting about. Basically it's an awesome car and runs and drives beautifully - when it's not suffering from our electrical problem.

Details of the car:

Registered on the island of Jersey from new until 40,000 miles in 2010 (we have all the details of the import and registration)
Now has 50k on the clock.

New wheels
New crank sensor
New coil pack
12 months MOT (New rear wheel cylinders and brake shoes, swivel joints and knuckle joints)
New reconditioned Gearbox, gasket set & oil filter (1000 miles ago)
Lambda sensor and cat and link pipe done 7000 miles ago.
New refurbished ECU and immobiliser unit.
New Horn

Theres a small amount of bubbling on the doors and on one corner of the windscreen, standard mini stuff, not bad but worth mentioning.

Basically the car went in for some bodywork before we were going to sell the car and for whatever reason developed an electrical issue where the car would cut out randomly and occasionally the alarm or horn would signal.

That mechanic tried his best to fix whatever the problem was and - we suspect - he may have buggered up the wiring loom.

After that we sent it to a really well renowned mini garage, they tried all sorts, we even spent money replacing the ecu and immobiliser because they identified that as the fault but it turned out that didn't end up working either.

The fault is intermittent so the car can give the impression that it's 100% but then the fault occurs. That caused us to give the go ahead on all the MOT work and we've really invested a lot into this little car.

In the end the mini garage cut and removed some wires from the loom to try and bypass the alarm or immobiliser unit. This worked and we picked up the car but after the 1 hour journey home, she was up to her old tricks... Back to square one.

Basically all this car needs is a new loom. We have found someone on this forum who has kindly offered to fit it for us at our home address but we also need to source one and as you can tell from what's been done to this car we've spent 1000s of pounds and we are coming to you guys to see whether it might be worth giving it to someone else to replace rather than waste any more money.

How much do you reckon we can get for it with this fault?

Also how much would the car be worth IF we were to replace the loom and it was working?

The car will run fine but the fault is very intermittent so it could cut out and be immobilised for hours. It's a right headache!!!

Thank you so much,

Regards,

The Kelly Brothers

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

here you go

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3aa373aa16

#3 RedRuby

RedRuby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Local Club: No

Posted 27 February 2015 - 03:05 PM

Or there's this on e-bay currently at £52 item number 151595106975

#4 CCX

CCX

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 27 February 2015 - 04:01 PM

If all the electrical stuff was sorted I'd advertise it at around £4-4.5k. The bubbles could be (probably will be) hiding more horrors underneath as is usually the way with MPis, so that obviously affects the value. Rest of the car looks nice though. Good luck if you're selling!

#5 Equinox1275

Equinox1275

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:09 PM

If all the electrical stuff was sorted I'd advertise it at around £4-4.5k. The bubbles could be (probably will be) hiding more horrors underneath as is usually the way with MPis, so that obviously affects the value. Rest of the car looks nice though. Good luck if you're selling!

Thanks yeah that's what we thought, how much do you reckon without fixing the problem though? Also why are bubbles on an MPI worse than any other mini? The bubblings really not too bad and I've had a few minis I'm not talking out my be-hind. Thanks

Edited by Equinox1275, 27 February 2015 - 08:22 PM.

#6 Equinox1275

Equinox1275

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:13 PM

Or there's this on e-bay currently at £52 item number 151595106975

Thank you yeah, we've spotted that. Just waiting on a few people's evaluations

#7 Equinox1275

Equinox1275

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:14 PM

What do people think it's worth as is?

Dan

#8 CCX

CCX

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:51 PM

Thanks yeah that's what we thought, how much do you reckon without fixing the problem though? Also why are bubbles on an MPI worse than any other mini? The bubblings really not too bad and I've had a few minis I'm not talking out my be-hind. Thanks

Not sure without fixing the problem, depends how much the problem would cost to fix I suppose. Bubbles on the MPi are especially bad around the windscreen, often once you start to see bubbles there it means the metal underneath the seal is rotten. This is due to the wider seals MPis use which traps water. It may be OK but you can't be sure unless you take the screen out obviously.

#9 Equinox1275

Equinox1275

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:54 PM

Not sure without fixing the problem, depends how much the problem would cost to fix I suppose. Bubbles on the MPi are especially bad around the windscreen, often once you start to see bubbles there it means the metal underneath the seal is rotten. This is due to the wider seals MPis use which traps water. It may be OK but you can't be sure unless you take the screen out obviously.

Ah okey dokey, thanks

#10 Fast Ivan

Fast Ivan

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:26 AM

there are some that say the wider seals used on the later cars trapped water behind them and accelerated the rust, having owned a couple of mpi's I could never see how this could happen, but I'm no expert.

Its really difficult to value as it is, as it stands its in pretty bad shape electrically which will put most off as there's just to many unknowns, not like a head gasket for example where you know where you stand.

I would avoid if possible any second hand looms though - you could just be adding to the problem

as it stands I personally wouldn't part with any more than around 2k

#11 mini-power.co.uk

mini-power.co.uk

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 01:47 PM

I would give you £3000 for it un fixed

#12 CCX

CCX

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 02:01 PM

I think you might be better off spending the money and getting the issue sorted before you sell. There's only a certain group of people (who are quite handy) who'd buy a car with an electrical issue like that I think, you'd probably be narrowing your potential audience quite a lot by selling it with that issue. Good luck with whatever you decide to do anyway, hope you get a good price for it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users