2 replies to this topic

#1 Hughie

Hughie

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 07:50 PM

I bought my 998 Mini City last Friday. By Sunday the clutch was knackered, covered in oil. Had it in the garage today - they tell me the flywheel was loose, hence the oil leak, but it has also knackered the camshaft! :sad:

So, I am going to see my mechanic tomorrow and he will show me what has happened. He says it's unlikely the flywheel will stay put now as it has worn the tapered wotnot it fits on, if I understand him correctly.

It sounds as though the engine will need to come out and I will have to get a new camshaft and flywheel just to get back on the road!!! I've only driven it once :sad:

I have done an engine rebuild on an aircooled VW engine. I'm no mechanic but I can follow a manual. With the right equipment can a novice do the work I've mentioned? I really can't afford any more garage bills.

Thanks for your help.

Steve.

#2 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 07:13 AM

it would be easier , quicker and cheaper to change the whole engine/gearbox unit for a good 2nd hand one .

#3 Hughie

Hughie

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 09:03 AM

Thanks Woody, I had a feeling that would be the case.

I've seen the damage this morning, the taper on the camshaft is knackered as is the sleeve on the flywheel. As the previous owner told me he had replaced the clutch 4 months ago there is no doubt it is his fault. The mechanic told me the flywheel bolt was loose and there was no securing tab on it.

I'm going to "have words" with the PO about this!

Steve.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users