23 replies to this topic

#1 Montytom

Montytom

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 03:43 PM

How many of you guys have to leave a mini open to the elements?

The reason I ask is because I want another mini but my driveway is never going to be finished by the look of things and so id have to park a mini on the road.

How quickly do minis fizzle away by leaving them out in every weather?

Also the mini would be used and not unused during winter.

The reason im asking is because i cannot justify spending £100 a month on a single garage that you cannot work on them in.

#2 Rocket.

Rocket.

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 03:46 PM

It's a car use it and enjoy it it's not going to turn to dust overnight

#3 matt050990

matt050990

I have upside down nipples

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts
  • Local Club: Currently Ridin' Solo :)

Posted 05 March 2015 - 03:48 PM

As long as you look after it then it should be okay.

Just give it a good wash when the gritters are about as the salt eats into the car like termites.

#4 Montytom

Montytom

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 03:48 PM

Thanks I didnt want to come across rude Its just most people seem to have them locked away and I thought maybe a bad winter might make alot of difference 

#5 Montytom

Montytom

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 03:49 PM

As long as you look after it then it should be okay.

Just give it a good wash when the gritters are about as the salt eats into the car like termites.

Thanks, I look after my car by washing it a few times a week so ill just have to wash 2 cars instead.

#6 Montytom

Montytom

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 03:50 PM

Best case scenario is finding a cheap garage thats watertight but down here in Plymouth people seem to charge lots

#7 firstmini

firstmini

I love Carlos W more than my mini.

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 03:53 PM

I use mine daily parked on the drive overnight etc, she has a rainproof cover on sometimes but can't put that on if she's already wet so obviously that's most of winter - this was our 3rd winter done like this and the only rust she had was on the drivers side door that was there when got her (just had that side sorted out). However I do wash her twice ish a month thru winter, luckily we didn't have much grit down this year.

#8 Rocket.

Rocket.

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 04:17 PM

Thanks I didnt want to come across rude Its just most people seem to have them locked away and I thought maybe a bad winter might make alot of difference 

As long as you wash it regularly underneath to protect it from road salt and drive it regularly so standing water won't attract rust it'll be fine

#9 olosteve

olosteve

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Local Club: N.M.O.C.

Posted 05 March 2015 - 04:25 PM

I used a good quality car cover at the start of the winter but after about 6 weeks I started to get mould on the seats.  I was lucky to find it in time so put 4 dehumidifiers in and left the car uncovered. Seems to have come though the winter OK past the MOT today great to be back on the road in time for summer fun.

#10 Sheikh Pip

Sheikh Pip

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Local Club: Sutton Coldfield Mini Club

Posted 05 March 2015 - 05:07 PM

I won't even take mine out in the rain! It's a Classic Car, you're supposed to cherish it, not abuse it.... :ohno:

#11 spiguy

spiguy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 05:26 PM

It's amazing how many different views there are on this. My gut feeling is that I want to enjoy my mini rather than worry about it, however that said I know how it feels when a mini goes from 'perfect' to rust bucket!

I ran a mini for 10 years in all conditions, and in Scotland we get ALOT of salt on the roads. I was quite naive about minis and how they rust back then, and I thought that as long as I washed the exterior it would be fine. I did not treat the car underneath in any way, nor did I get up under the wings, arches etc and clean off dirt and salt, maybe a quick squirt under there with the hose now and then. The car went from as new condition to really quite rusty (bad enough to be off the road for alot of welding - still is) in the 10 years. But like I say that was daily use, alot of miles, no protection and no proper cleaning of the underside.

My current mini is in as good if not better condition starting out, and I have spent some time getting all under the wings, arches etc treated with clear dynax wax, and the box sections treated with dynax cavity wax. My plan for this mini is to try to avoid using it much in the winter months when salt is on the roads, and to be more diligent cleaning it.

I had it out last weekend in the rain so it got covered in salt. I spent about 2 hours cleaning it - wheels off and under there for some careful cleaning with soapy water and a rag, and rinse off with a hose. This is how I plan to proceed - minimise exposure to salt, and regular thorough cleaning.

I think getting a good quality wax onto the vulnerable areas of the car (pretty much the entire underside) and regular cleaning is essential, and if done should make a big difference. The way I see it if I can get 10 years without doing anything right, then by doing the above I should get alot longer, or at least the amount of rust which gets to take hold should be less severe.

I certainly wouldn't let lack of a garage put you off. Get your mini, get the best one you can bodywork wise (if you can get a jap import I highly recommend it - that's what I have bought), sort any obvious rust that you can, good quality wax underneat (clear is good as you can still see what is going on - the Dynax stuff is excellent), and then enjoy it.

Edited by carlukemini, 05 March 2015 - 05:28 PM.

#12 somecrapname

somecrapname

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 06:39 PM

I have a cover on mine while I'm not using it but it still seems to get wet regardless! Quite annoying really.

#13 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,804 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 05 March 2015 - 08:33 PM

If left outside and used in the winter on salted roads a Mini is going to rust to some degree........waxoyl, cleaning, hosing the arches will slow it down but like most old car designs you won't stop it entirely on a 1950's designed car. Look at many of the last MPi Mini's if you want to see how quickly a Mini in daily use in all weathers rusts.

However if a classic Mini is regularly parked on the street I would probably be more concerned about preventing theft than rust these days.....

#14 Mrpeanut

Mrpeanut

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts
  • Local Club: Wessex MOC

Posted 05 March 2015 - 08:38 PM

I cover mine as anything that could help keep rust away for longer must be a good thing.

#15 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:09 PM

If left outside and used in the winter on salted roads a Mini is going to rust to some degree........

You don't even need to drive the mini over winter, it just need to be left outside getting damp for it to rust. That's of course if the leaky door and windows seals haven't already rotted out the floors or turned the interior mouldy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users