JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts
  • Local Club: Exmoor Minis

Posted 06 March 2015 - 01:28 PM

And another question.............

I have the M-Machine Cross Member End Repair Section, the long one that includes the outer captive nuts, should I fit this to the existing Cross Member before or after fitting the floor.

Any tips on ensuring that the Front Seat Mounting captive nuts are in the correct place (suppose I could slot a seat in but that will be a right pain :-)

Thanks

#2 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:23 PM

And another question.............

I have the M-Machine Cross Member End Repair Section, the long one that includes the outer captive nuts, should I fit this to the existing Cross Member before or after fitting the floor.

Any tips on ensuring that the Front Seat Mounting captive nuts are in the correct place (suppose I could slot a seat in but that will be a right pain :-)

Thanks

No takers on this ? 

Not done yet but I guess i'll either measure the distance from the centre of the bolt holes or see if I can knock up a plate to use as a jig?

#3 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:31 PM

Looks like you've got the half floor, I would weld the floor in first then the x member repair. 

As for getting the nut in the right place I would  measure the distance between the passenger side (if they're ok) then clamp the x member in the right place tack it and check the distance.

#4 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 06:11 PM

Looks like you've got the half floor, I would weld the floor in first then the x member repair. 

As for getting the nut in the right place I would  measure the distance between the passenger side (if they're ok) then clamp the x member in the right place tack it and check the distance.

I made up a jig using 2 lengths of steel with holes in to get the Cross Member Repair piece in the correct place. I was going to weld the floor in first but then thought that I'd have difficulty getting the cross member repair piece in place due to the inner sill. However I just did a test fit of the repair piece and with the jig in place the end of the cross member seems to be too long?

So to ensure that it fits I think I'll clamp the floor in place and then fit the cross member?

#5 acky

acky

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 10:04 PM

Ive just done this and had the same concerns. I welded the floor in first and made sure the inner sills lined up with the door and a post stiffener.
The only thing that was wrong, I couldnt get x member to sit plumb level, so ended having cut the welding out from post stiffener. Glad I did, bob on now. Took a lot of force to keep it level, while i tacked it in place.

#6 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:04 PM

Like I said above acky, I think i'll clamp in the floor, which I have to do anyway to mark up where to drill spot welds. Once its clamped in I'll see it I can get the Cross Member in and the tack it in place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users