Looking good

#93 carthorse

carthorse

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:51 PM

Welding the main floor and loadbed sections together has been completed during the few hours I've managed to snatch in the garage over the easter holidays. Its not pretty welding, and the grinding back certainly isn't invisible, but Percy is going to be a working pickup and a few ripples and dimples in the floor are going to add a certain patina.........

P1010658.jpg

At the bottom of this picture you can see the drain tube which runs from the loadbed into the sill section. This isn't present on the M Machine floor so I got to try out a bit of minor fabrication  O_O

P1010656.jpg

Here we are heating up the end of some 20mm tubing with a blow torch, when it was nice a red I walloped it with the curved end of a ball pien hammer to radius the end and cut a nice jaunty angle at the other end to match the profile of the outer cill.

After drilling a hole here it is welded in - 

P1010657.jpg

Its minor progress but progress none the less!

#94 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,287 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 24 April 2017 - 05:57 AM

That is some awesome nice tidy work! Keep going :)

#95 johnR

johnR

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 03:33 PM

shame the exit hole didn't line up on that drain - will you need to move it or will it be OK to just seal the overlapping edge to stop water going into the closed section?

#96 carthorse

carthorse

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 06:48 AM

shame the exit hole didn't line up on that drain - will you need to move it or will it be OK to just seal the overlapping edge to stop water going into the closed section?

That's how the original drain was, I think the idea is just to let the water into the sill section where it just drains out of the hole and the flutes. Could be wrong though ........ does anyone with a nice unmolested pickup know if that's how it's supposed to work?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mini Spares