Look Percy's got a front end again! Try and hold your excitement however, this was just one of many, many, many, many test fits.
Having got the front bulkhead positioned using the bracing i'd welded in that picked up of the old ones steering rack mounts and lower dash rail I had a plug welding marathon and welded the bulkhead assembly to the floor. (This was my first mistake)
Then with it clamped to the remains of the upper dash rail (yes thats rotten as well) I spent several happy hours trying to wrestle the Heritage inner wings I'd bought into place.
The offside fit wasn't too bad, but the nearside one...... blood tears and much heavy hammering was required to ease it carefully into place. At this point I realised it would probably be an excellent idea to get the front panel and wings before going any further and committing to welding in the inner wings as I already had a sneaking suspicion things were probably not going to line up easily. And as the car fund was empty due to me accidentally buying an expensive fish tank on eBay whilst under the influence of alcohol I shut the garage door for a few weeks.
Once I'd scraped together enough of the folding stuff after Christmas the front panel and wings were purchased and I started to wonder if i'd ever figure out how its all going to fit together again. The first thing I did was refit the front subframe with some solid mounts so I could mount the front panel and see if everything lined up. Well it didn't, and most annoyingly after much washing of teeth and head scratching I think a lot of the issues are down to the alignment of the bulkhead. I now think the original must have been slightly out of whack due to either accident damage or poor previous repairs, and now muggins here has faithfully replicated the mis-alignment .........
I'll not weary you all with the details of the hours of fun which followed, but finally I think i've got the two inner wings positioned as well as they are going to get. The fit on the drivers side isn't too bad, but the less said about the other side the better.
Heres the M-machine outer A panel and door post cut to size and clamped in place with the front wing attached.
And yes I have tried the door in place to make sure it still fits
This brought me to a common problem that others have had with the Heritage inner wings. The shape were it meets the a panel is miles out. So muttering under my breath about having to cut up a 'premium' product which cost a lot of money I set about doing my ham-fisted best to let in some new metal by slicing off the side of the panel and moving it outwards.......
Sensibly I neglected to take any in progress shots that show my welding, but ground back it almost looks acceptable and its going to be completely hidden anyway so who really cares
Thats as far as I've got so far, in the next instalment I'll be trying to fit this abortion of a inner A panel from Magnum which at first offer up doesn't seem to fit at all