#1 Robnut

Robnut

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:49 PM

Hi all
It's been some time since I posted on here but have still been keeping an eye on thing.

I am after some help.
The weather was nice yesterday evening so I decided to take the clubby out for its first spin of the year.
To cut a long story short my rear suspension top mounts both sides look like they are about to snap off.
My frame is an early one with no bracing around this area. I know z cars beefed up this area. Has anyone had this problem ( I know there is a few) and what was done to rectify also has anyone any pics of this area with any beefed up parts

Many thanks

Rob

#2 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 11 March 2015 - 03:47 PM

Hi Rob,

I just had a look through Birdmans build and found this photo, it shows the bolt and collar going right through the frame:

45_zpsvnwdon53.jpg

Anyone Else got any more info or better photos of a frame that's not a Monte frame??

Edited by cptkirk, 11 March 2015 - 03:48 PM.

#3 andream88

andream88

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 11:06 PM

There have been 3 different versions over the years afaik:

1) the version you have, which tends to snap over time

2) on this version they added a small strengthening bracket to it

3) last version (2015 frame), the collar now goes through the frame

See the attached pics of version 2) and 3) for reference.

c7BETye.jpg

ZZDeewk.jpg

Hope this helps!

#4 Robnut

Robnut

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 01:23 PM

Thanks guys helped a lot. Will post up what I do.

#5 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 01:24 PM

you've got me thinking about mine now Rob.......

#6 RED HOT

RED HOT

Fantasy F1 Winner 2011

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 03:11 PM

I'm pretty sure they changed to the latest design as described above a good few years ago, I bought my kit back in 2010 and I queried the rear shock supports as I'd seen others with the support bar. I had a reply saying the design had changed and this now goes through the frame and this additional support was no longer required.

#7 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 03:31 PM

Mine is old (not good) style, and I had planned to make a fix  - I am going to revisit this.

EDIT - I just remembered I had even got some parts machined to do this.......ah haaaaaa......

Edited by cptkirk, 12 March 2015 - 04:12 PM.

#8 Robnut

Robnut

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:19 PM

Oh please share....

#9 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:08 AM

Rob,

It all came flooding back yesterday when I was looking though my photobucket account. It was my intention to make a form of brace, with a specially machined nut for the suspension stud that would go through the brace. I only ever got as far as machining some bits to clamp on the bit of spaceframe that goes transversely near the top of the boot area. I had intended to do this when I last had the engine out (would have been lass of a pain in the arris) but never got around to it. So sorry I dont have a fix for it, it still needs to be worked out......

#10 KTM kid

KTM kid

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Local Club: Crews missels

Posted 21 September 2016 - 07:44 PM

Mine is old (not good) style, and I had planned to make a fix  - I am going to revisit this.

EDIT - I just remembered I had even got some parts machined to do this.......ah haaaaaa......

Andy did you get to do this?  As my frame is striped down. I think its a good time to add  some seniable mods to it.

#11 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 09:28 AM

Andy did you get to do this?  As my frame is striped down. I think its a good time to add  some seniable mods to it.

No, not yet. I might get to it over the winter but no promises as my new mega garage still isn't finished yet and I have other things occupying my time currently (designing an extension to the house and doing all the internal work on the new mega garage).

I hope this explanation makes sense without drawings - My aim was to fix a plate in place that I could put a bespoke machined nut through onto the threads of the rear suspension unit. The plate would hold the nut in place so any extreme upwards force wouldn't crack the welding. You only really need to be concerned with upward forces so this might make things easier. I had some parts machined to clamp on the rail that runs above the exhaust and I had planned to mount the plate to these and on the N/S to the Gearbox Mount (frame side) and the Engine Mount (frame side - possibly under the rubber mount or tap new holes). As you can tell I never got around to it so its still in my head...... your welcome to take this and run with it or I look forward to seeing your very own solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users