Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 10 July 2004 - 04:50 PM

Hello,
Are these door rubbers standard? They have a metal finishing strip on them that matches the rest of my external trim. So are they standard or are they a chrome/stainless steel add on?

Hope you can help because, when I've sourced two of em, this will sort all my water leak problems!

Cheers Ali

Attached Files

#2 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 05:05 PM

And where can I get them from?

#3 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 05:09 PM

Smurfy is an 82 mini.
Plus do they simply clip in place when the window is wound down?

#4 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 06:52 PM

From that picture they seem to be the standard part. You can get them from everywhere and I seem to remember they are about £16 each, or maybe per pair. Your car will have the early ones as I believe the change point was in 86. The later ones with plastic ends work slightly better and look a little better IMHO, but you should know that mini mk3 doors were designed before glass wipe seals were. So even when new these seals aren't as good as those on more modern vehicles. If this really is the source of a leak into the inside of your car then it is probably because the drain holes in the door bottom are blocked and/or the duct tape used to seal up all the holes on the inside of the door pressing has died up and is no longer working. I have attatched heavy gauge polythene accross the inside of my doors, behind the trim panel to seal them up. This became standard on all minis about 94. You need to keep the door drains clear, or the door bottoms will rust out. The trims do simply clip into place and need prising off to remove. The clips are vicious little buggers that eat paint so be careful removing and replacing them. Also make sure that you don't scrape the paint or dent the door with whatever pry bar you use to get them off. They aren't on that tight. You don't need to take the glass out, and you can't get it out without taking off the inner and outer trims anyway. Make sure you get a pair as they are handed, and different inside and out.

#5 cowboy

cowboy

Friend of TMF

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 08:43 PM

the seals are standard and yes they just clip on, as dan said the later ones are better

#6 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 01:16 AM

Thanks guys I'll get on the case asap.

#7 simmo

simmo

Mini Mad