2 replies to this topic

#1 Hughie

Hughie

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 05:13 PM

I will be having the 998 engine replaced in my 1989 Mini City E (current engine is knackered). I know there are loads of options but I need to make a decision soon.

I'm not looking for anything special, just a decent lump to get me around. I'm told that an early Metro engine would fit Ok and may be easier to find than from a Mini, but do I go for more power with a 1.3 while I'm at it? And will I need to change anything else if I do?

Are there any engines I should keep clear of?

Do you have any tips on choosing a used engine?

Thanks for any help,

Steve.

#2 andyps

andyps

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 10:11 PM

I would go for a 1275 provided the insurance is OK and you have disc brakes on the front - generally thought a servo is a good idea too, but not really critical. Sorry, but I can't remember when these became standard but I think your car should have them.

If possible go for an engine which accepts unleaded petrol - not many were fitted to Metros as it was only introduced towards the end of their life.

Provided it has a manual gearbox any mini or metro engine should be able to fit OK (except early mini gearboxes which used different linkages). The best power/reliability compromise is probably the MG metro engine - also fitted to the GTa, sport and some vanden plas models.

All this from someone who has just put a 998 engine back into a Mini which has been running a 1275 for a few years!

#3 philster

philster

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 11:18 PM

yeah i'd go for the mg metro, i put one in mine about 4 month ago after running a highly tuned 998 for a few years. So far it has proved to be very reliable and pretty fast as well. Acceleration from say 60 up 90mph is awesome and it'll even do this on steep hills!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users