Formally known as Frost

• Traders
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 03:04 PM

S.gif   S.gif
f3e9e43e-304e-4a8d-8ef0-de255d794200.jpg

Step 1: Degrease and Clean Surface

Cleaner Degreaser (aka Marine Clean) cleans and degreases in one application without leaving residues, noxious fumes or flammable solvents. No other cleaner works as fast or as well. It makes petroleum-based cleaners almost obsolete because it can be diluted with water to 3, 4, 5 and even 10 times its volume while remaining even more potent than other cleaners.

Cleaner Degreaser removes grease, oil, mildew, algae, musty odours, soap films, and wax. Use it to clean canvas, vinyl, nylon, holding tanks, grease traps, auto parts and more.

Before applying ANY rust preventive paint, you MUST remove any oily film or residue. Even if you're fairly sure that your work piece is clean, hit it with Cleaner Degreaser to be absolutely certain of good adhesion.

Step 2 : Neutralize Rust and Etch Metal

After thoroughly degreasing your work piece, apply environmentally safe, Metal Prep (aka Metal Ready or Prep & Ready) to both neutralize any rust, and etch any clean bare metal. This will allow better adhesion of POR-15 or any paint or coating. Metal Prep provides the best adhesion on any surface, including aluminum and shiny polished metal surfaces.

The simple one-step process gently etches metal, creating an ideal anchor pattern for coatings, while simultaneously leaving a zinc phosphate film to promote chemical bonding of paint and steel. Avoid "rust conversion" products which may leave harmful residues that prevent proper adhesion of coatings. Metal Prep is not caustic, corrosive, toxic or flammable.

Step 3 : Apply Rust Preventive Coating on Surface

Seal the rusty metal with POR-15 Rust Preventative Coating. As the moisture resistant coating of POR15 bonds to the rusty metal, it will form an unbelievably tough, almost ceramic-like finish that will not crack, chip or peel. 

Use POR15 to coat a rusty frame, floor pans, farm equipment, underwater marine items, or even a heavily corroded battery tray. 

The secret lies in the POR15 curing process. Unlike ordinary "paints", POR15 cures by drawing moisture from the atmosphere. Paint, on the other hand, cures through the process of solvent evaporation through pores (that's why you can smell a paint job for weeks). Those same pores allow microscopic amounts of air and moisture to gradually reach the surface of the painted metal.

POR15 is so tough, that some folks describe it as "Powder coat in a can". Use it on your chassis, and you will be surprised as how little effect gravel roads have on the finish. In fact, offroad enthusiasts and dirt bike racers use it on their frames and under-carriage, where NO "paint" can survive. Furthermore, POR15 is very flexible, and can withstand much twisting and bending without cracking.

Step 4 : Top Coat the Surface

Top coat the metal surface with Chassis Black, Gloss Black or Silver. They all have no sensitivity to UV light. They are highly flexible, non-porous, extremely scratch and chip resistant, and strengthened by exposure to moisture.

POR15 offers 3 Top Coat options:
- Chassis Black (as known as Chassis Coat Black) gives a semi-gloss, smooth black finish.
- Gloss Black
(as known as Blackcote) gives a glossy black finish.
- Silver
(as known as Stirling Silver) gives a high lustre silver finish.

Edited by Frost Auto, 19 March 2015 - 03:07 PM.

#2 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 03:11 PM

Been thinking about getting some POR15 for a while, is there any TMF+ discount scheme related to the product at all? Currently have both my minis that require attention, one bare shell and one that needs the underside stripping off and repainting. 

How flexible is POR15? My bare shell has light surface rust all over that will likely clean off pretty well with a wirewheel on a drill, will POR15 be top coatable with any colour and thus be usable on the top side panels of it? 

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,934 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 19 March 2015 - 03:14 PM

Been thinking about getting some POR15 for a while, is there any TMF+ discount scheme related to the product at all?

http://www.theminifo...unt-with-frost/

#4 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 03:16 PM

Been thinking about getting some POR15 for a while, is there any TMF+ discount scheme related to the product at all?

http://www.theminifo...unt-with-frost/

Touché, teaches me for not looking! thanks!  =] 

My other question still stands however as my GT is in desperate need of me pulling my finger out and getting it tidied up!

#5 psychobob

psychobob

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 03:24 PM

I'd be interested to know if you can body paint over it. my hornet's shell was rebuilt by the previous owner and underneath is rock solid, but the bodywork now has bubbles on every panel. The bottom of the bootlid is particularly bad, so if I was to use por15, I'd need to topcoat it the original colour.

#6 Frost Auto

Frost Auto

Formally known as Frost

• Traders
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 03:27 PM

Been thinking about getting some POR15 for a while, is there any TMF+ discount scheme related to the product at all? Currently have both my minis that require attention, one bare shell and one that needs the underside stripping off and repainting. 

How flexible is POR15? My bare shell has light surface rust all over that will likely clean off pretty well with a wirewheel on a drill, will POR15 be top coatable with any colour and thus be usable on the top side panels of it? 

Hi Alex, POR 15 forms a cross link bond with the steel and offers complete flexibility without splitting or cracking and yes POR 15 is top coatable however a top quality primer is recommended prior to application of chosen top coat.

#7 Frost Auto

Frost Auto

Formally known as Frost

• Traders
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 03:30 PM

I'd be interested to know if you can body paint over it. my hornet's shell was rebuilt by the previous owner and underneath is rock solid, but the bodywork now has bubbles on every panel. The bottom of the bootlid is particularly bad, so if I was to use por15, I'd need to topcoat it the original colour.

Hi Bob, Yes you could apply top coat on top of POR 15 so long as the POR 15 is applied on to a quality primed surface and the old paint is removed.

Edited by Frost Auto, 19 March 2015 - 03:33 PM.

#8 rocker

rocker

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 03:32 PM

I've heard really good and really bad reviews on this stuff. Never tried it myself as never really had the opportunity so far with my mini to rustproof. (time and money)

But I think when my front wings are shot and need replacing I'll be fitting a fibreglass front and bonnet instead of metal, so it'll never rust in those areas again so seems a good step towards rust proofing. The bonnet is knackered already actually but wings etc are really good just now.

#9 yeti21586

yeti21586

He's A Lumberjack And He's OK

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,714 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Local Club: None

Posted 19 March 2015 - 03:43 PM

i put por15 on my floor and under side and engine bay and it just seems too peel off!

#10 neon*girl

neon*girl

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 03:46 PM

I've done a full nut and bolt resto on my mini and really did my research into the best rust preventatives -

I used all the products as listed above and they are fantastic!

The cleaner is epic - will cut through anything -

The prep literally eats rust (but will take all the skin off your hands - wear gloves people!)

And the Por15 is amazing - goes for miles - I only used 1 tin for the whole underneath of my mini + parts

If you take a piece of metal - paint it in Por15 and hit it with a hammer - it doesn't chip, crack anything - there are some really good videos on youtube.

I actually went to Frosts in person and the chap was really helpful and knew his stuff - they had a few offers on at the time as well so I got a good deal!

Would recommend to anyone - but it is seriously nasty stuff, wear gloves, masks and eye protection! 

Oh and if you get Por15 on your skin it DOES NOT come off for days!!!

#11 neon*girl

neon*girl

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 03:47 PM

i put por15 on my floor and under side and engine bay and it just seems too peel off!

Did you do the prep?

#12 Coxie

Coxie

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 03:50 PM

Painted my subframes with this stuff and it's bomb proof. Whacked one of the subframes on a wall as I carried it into my workshop and it hardly touched it.
The only down side is that if you get it on your hands, the only way to get it off is with an angle grinder.
Money well spent and super glossy finish.

#13 yeti21586

yeti21586

He's A Lumberjack And He's OK

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,714 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Local Club: None

Posted 19 March 2015 - 03:52 PM

Of course i did the prep

#14 neon*girl

neon*girl

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 03:52 PM

Painted my subframes with this stuff and it's bomb proof. Whacked one of the subframes on a wall as I carried it into my workshop and it hardly touched it.
The only down side is that if you get it on your hands, the only way to get it off is with an angle grinder.
Money well spent and super glossy finish.

Yep - had my rear subframe galvanised but painted my front subframe in Por15

My other half was unlucky enough to get it on his face - got a few funny looks at work!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine, brakes, suspension, electrical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users