Photo
- - - - -

Suzuki Gp100, Barn Find Full Restoration.

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 montyc

montyc

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 10:20 AM

Good morning everyone!

After wanting one for ages and ages i have finally bought myself a bike. Its a little suzuki gp100 in need of restoration.

I have no documents or plates for this as it was stumbled upon abandoned in a barn covered in dust and grime.

Then engine turns over and there is a spark but as of yet it doesnt start. I have a very limited knowledge of bikes so this will be a good project to learn on, so i got stuck in. Off came the carb to check fuel was getting to the engine, it was very clean considering how long it has been unused, so unsure what is stopping it running.

A quick call on saturday and one of my friends from work is coming over today to have a look with me and see if we can get it started.

So here is the bike :

image.jpg1_zps0gbuol00.jpg

image.jpg4_zps6p0dl8oh.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsjahtfgqk.jpg

image.jpg2_zps9drom7gm.jpg

The next picture is under the seat, the electrics are a complete mess, so many empty connections, none of the lights work etc.

image.jpg5_zps8eqzfydl.jpg

All the essential parts seem to work, gearbox shifts easily (clutch lever at the handlebars has sheared off though) suspension seems alright, brake disks are good, little issue with the rear brake. The drivetrain seems ok, needs cleaning and tightening, then just cosmetics really.

As you can see, there is a fair amount of rust, however, i took off the seat and tank for a closer inspection, the tank is suprisingly solid and all of the rust is just on the surface as far as i can see, so luckily its nice and solid and should be a fairly easy little project.

I just want to get it started first so i know it actually works, then it will be stripped down, cleaned, refreshed and put back in working order ready for trying to get it registered (no idea how to do this), through its mot, me through my cbt and then onto the open road.

I will update this as often as possible, and im on leave at the end of next week so hopefully will get a decent amount done before i shoot off to wales for a few months (just after the wife has popped out our first child...yay!)

Any comments, help and advice are always welcome, as are styling ideas etc.

Oh yea, i also think theminiforum has ruined the internet for me, had a look at some motorbike forums to join. This is the first forum ive joined and i think ive got used to a lot of nice people and a very well structured, organised and moderated forum so all the rest look pants now!

#2 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 10:22 AM

The jets on that carb are very small, you need to make sure they're immaculate.

Also, make sure you remove the emulsion tube and make sure all the holes in that are unblocked

#3 Carlos W

Carlos W

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 10:24 AM

Also, have you put fresh fuel in it?

What's leaking?

#4 montyc

montyc

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 10:28 AM

Cheers, ill make sure i double check but the carb was amazingly tidy. Im going to hold out until my motorbike savvy mate comes over today and he can give me a hand etc, hopefully that way i wont do anything to cause more issues. Once we get it started at least i know it works and i can crack on.

#5 montyc

montyc

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 10:36 AM

Also, have you put fresh fuel in it?

What's leaking?

fresh fuel and oil are in, that little puddle is oil dripping very slowly from where the gear selector lever is. only saw that this morning, the bike has been standing there for 2 days now and that's only appeared over this last night 

#6 montyc

montyc

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 07:03 PM

Evening all,

So after a few hours with my mate, we managed to get a bang, plus flames out of the carb, leading us to think its a timing issue as everything else seems fine. Neither of us knew how to fix this and my haynes manual isnt here yet.

I decided to strip it, sort it out, then reassemble and worry about starting it later on. So this afternoon i have managed to strip the back end and a few other bits. Its tough going as most of the bolts have seized due to rust, some are impossible to undo and im unsure of how to get them free!

So here are some pictures of it so far.

image.jpg2_zpsjptfvcrz.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsd60pquue.jpg

More will follow at the end of the week and my holidays kick in. I will be doing all the work myself and on a budget. I dont think it will take long once i have it at stripped... Hopefully.

#7 Carlos W

Carlos W

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 07:37 PM

They've got electronic ignitions haven't they? Flames out the exhaust are more likely to be to do with flooding than timing. 

#8 montyc

montyc

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 07:48 PM

Twas Flames out of the carb. Im unsure of the actual issues but we had a spark, fuel, air, compression. I dont think it had them at the right time though. Also ridiculous wiring which may have something to do with it. But its being stripped and restored first and then ill try and get it to run. If there is anything else that springs to mind i may have another go before i strip all the front off.

#9 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 11:38 PM

Liking this. My brother in law has a couple of old bikes and his parents have four old BSAs between them or something like that (they may have sold a couple when moving overseas). 

#10 Carlos W

Carlos W

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 07:54 AM

Twas Flames out of the carb. Im unsure of the actual issues but we had a spark, fuel, air, compression. I dont think it had them at the right time though. Also ridiculous wiring which may have something to do with it. But its being stripped and restored first and then ill try and get it to run. If there is anything else that springs to mind i may have another go before i strip all the front off.

Do these have reed valves?

#11 Dale_

Dale_

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:02 AM

Nice bike! I got a project bike, and ended up taking my test and getting it fixed in a couple of weeks because I'm sooooooo inpacient. :P lol. I'm still doing stuff to it, but just using it as a daily aswell now :) hahaha

#12 pmplovesminis2006

pmplovesminis2006

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Local Club: north west mini club

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:37 AM

hi these bikes have a rotary disc set up and is unlikely to have been touched so carb timing will be ok and as for ignition it may have points behind the magneto

#13 Yoda

Yoda

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • Local Club: Medway mini club

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:39 AM

From memory, i think this may be an early model without reed valves. the engine is really simple so should not take long to work out why it wont start. the fact that you have got fire already is promising so stick with it. I cant remember if this model had points or electronic ignition, but a quick look will confirm either way. The leaky seal around the gear spindle will be an easy fix, but it does suggest that other seals may need replacing. Depending on the layout of the crank seals, i would be checking these. this can cause symptoms such as poor starting/running. Backfiring etc, as too much air is being added to the fuel mix due to leaks in the crankcase.  remember, it is two stroke, and the fuel is passed through the crankcase before getting to the compression stoke and any air leaks here will be an issue.

#14 montyc

montyc

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 12:40 PM

As far as i know it has points, but no idea how to adjust it all. So waiting for my haynes manual to arrive this week. Then i can assemble it properly and it should all work fine.

Just need to sort out what i need, so something to help remove the rust, maybe hammerite? And then i need to find a suitable paint to paint the frame etc, i thought about powder coating it, but i want to do all of the work myself on a minimal budget.

Optimistically, aslong as everything goes to plan, id like to have it finished by 4th may.

#15 Dale_

Dale_

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:43 PM

As far as i know it has points, but no idea how to adjust it all. So waiting for my haynes manual to arrive this week. Then i can assemble it properly and it should all work fine.

Just need to sort out what i need, so something to help remove the rust, maybe hammerite? And then i need to find a suitable paint to paint the frame etc, i thought about powder coating it, but i want to do all of the work myself on a minimal budget.

Optimistically, aslong as everything goes to plan, id like to have it finished by 4th may.

You going to be doing the May day run?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users