#1 emale75

emale75

Learner Driver

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 11:02 PM

Hi all, 

Bought a Mk3 75 saloon, same age as me and I've faired much better! I knew it would need a lot of work, but wow... Part of me is thinking of just getting a new heritage shell but I would prefer to keep the original car, even if its just the badge at this rate...

'A' previous owner deseamed it, and the body is now giving up the ghost where they welded the seams... I'm not so worried about the time and effort spent, and anything cheaper than a new shell is a bonus.

I've read about getting another donor, cutting the body to get the seams by 2" either side and welding them in. to be honest I'd prefer new panels.

Before you sit there laughing "yeah good luck" I'm thinking of:

Buying a full left and right side panels, new rear and roof. I'm thinking it'll leave me with the floor, inner sills, front bulkhead and rear seat and parcel shelf. Almost a moke! (Hence Trigger's broom) The floor could just have some plates or repair panels but I think that way would be better as it gives me the new panels to weld to, not the other way around.

To offer up the new panels I know is going to be a real pain and will probably require jigs to tag it all in place whilst I measure and try and keep it true.

The real question is would cleco's be the way to go to test fit/hold it together before plug welding them together and has anyone else done anything as hardcore or mental as this, I'm thinking the new roof panel will be key to keeping it as square as possible...

Although I'm expecting plenty of banter ;-) any serious ideas or thoughts from those with any experience is appreciated.

#2 Stu.

Stu.

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 11:22 PM

Could you not just cut and re weld the seam joints properly and replace any corroded panels ? Could end up with a lovely de-seamed shell if done well. Replacing all the panels to re-instate the seam flanges to me seems bonkers.

#3 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 11:29 PM

Get some pictures uploaded of it. Has the roof been deseamed as well the vertical seams?

Either way you're in for an awful lot of work to return it to standard. 

#4 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 12:06 AM

I would suggest making a bracing frame to sit within the shell and have it welded at various points including the a and b posts, the cant rails and perhaps the bulkhead too but i'm not sure that would be the best option as it sounds like the de-seaming work was done badly so the shell may not even be straight to start with.

How do the panels fit and what are the gaps like?

Either way, if you are going for large replacement panels, you need to start on one corner and work your way round replacing the panels as you go. i would hesitate to chop it down to a rolling floor pan and then try to build it back up unless you are very good.

Ben

#5 emale75

emale75

Learner Driver

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 01:12 AM

Thanks for the replies, I'll get some pics up.

#6 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:21 AM

I have a similar issue with a gt shell that has been deseamed. I too had the idea of cutting out either side of the seams and weld in some decent seams but quickly went off that idea. My latest plan and likely to be the one I go for is to sleeve the seam line on the inside to brace it and cut some slots for tabs to go out from the inside so that the original trim clips and trim piece can be used. Granted it's not original so will never be good for concorse however it should be as strong as the original whilst keeping the looks of having seams

#7 emale75

emale75

Learner Driver

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 08:04 PM

Ok the images may be a bit big, but you can see what I don't have to play with, the lower panel has this amazing plate behind it, I think even Moses would have an issue getting through it...  Ok - now you can laugh ;-)

20150323_075450_zpsx3olkxgk.jpg

20150323_075445_zpsbgqncogv.jpg

#8 Stu.

Stu.

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 08:22 PM

Good lord ! I'm not sure what you can do with that really. I guess new panels would be the only practical option then. Is that the worst area or is there more to uncover ?

Edited by Stu., 23 March 2015 - 08:36 PM.

#9 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 08:32 PM

Well I've never seen a Mini deseamed like that before!

Personally I would keep and eye on the breaking section here and get the rear seam sections cut out of a scrap shell. I would be happy to butt weld a section in but if you're not an experienced welder you may be better off replacing entire panels. 

On the front I would go with new A-apnels and wings for simplicity and replace the upper section with parts cut from a scrap shell. 

#10 cookie4343

cookie4343

**Caution: Do Not Feed Alcohol**

• Traders
  • 2,257 posts
  • Local Club: CV1 Mini's

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:11 PM

Only one word comes to mind f***** sorry not to be any help.
I suppose you could butt weld strips of steel down the sides but wouldn't be easy without lots of heat distortion.

#11 cookie4343

cookie4343

• Traders
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:15 PM

I think for the time and effort and cost in panels I think I'd try source a better shell, I'm pretty good with the welder but this looks beyond repair stage, others will think otherwise but just my opinion.

#12 emale75

emale75

Learner Driver

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:42 PM

Thanks again, good ain't it :-D And I really appreciate the offers, I think for simplicity I think I'm just better off with new panels, heat distortion and all its other issues I could be patching and tinkering for months, where as I think making a few jigs for replacing the panels will just be better in the long run, I'm gonna have to do some serious measurements just to make sure what's left is straight. Weekend work is strip the other seams and see if they are just as artistically finished. Will help with the prognosis... Its official, I hate tin worm :-)

#13 cookie4343

cookie4343

• Traders
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:13 PM

I'll look forward to your project thread and fair play for taking it on

#14 Stu.

Stu.

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:44 PM

For what its worth I think you're doing the right thing. With most resto's you'd need to replace quite a few panels anyway so I recon you'll come out with a good solid shell in the end  :gimme:

I'd perhaps think about replacing each panel in turn and at least trying to weld it to the adjacent panel as best you can, but I guess it'll be difficult in some areas.

Isolate an area, get it solid and move to the next ;D

Good for you. As Cookie said let us know if you start a build thread, we might learn stuff :D (well I might anyhow).

Edited by Stu., 23 March 2015 - 10:45 PM.

#15 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,129 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:47 PM

Are you sure it's still on its original 75 shell?  It doesn't have the drip rail gutters(mind you it is also on the change).  Does it have the smaller petrol tank?

I've often thought about re-seaming a car..

I'd Fit a complete new rear panel, new rear quarters, would have to fabricate the upper seam on the body though.  Would be easy enough with the rear panel off.

On the front I'd fit a complete screen panel(the one with the scuttle, then fit a pair of the heritage door frames.

Sounds easy enough.......................!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users