90 replies to this topic

#16 bigandy

bigandy

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 07:50 PM

nope, the F's have hydrspastic suspension, the TF's have 'non-adjustable' coilovers as standard. Its all fast progress at the moment, but as soon as my gf gets back from holiday it will slow right down again. Would like to have the engine running (not driving) at xmas

#17 bigandy

bigandy

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 07:57 PM

Quick update for y'all

Been working on the subframe today - cut off all the brackets and mounts that I dont need, for whatever reason. Also spent the last couple of days painting up the engine, gearbox and all the engine mounts etc. all looks quite smart, pretty happy with it. Will hopefully get the subframe finished and painted tomorow evening, then crack on with getting it fitted on Sunday

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#18 garethlloyd

garethlloyd

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 04:00 PM

Hi Andy, How are you?

I remember you from college, I had the yellow and black mini!

I was thinking about your car just the other day! strange.

Your project looks awsome, your engineering skills have certainly progressed quicker than mine!

Any chance of a ride when it's finished??? :(

Gaz.

#19 bigandy

bigandy

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 06:00 PM

:(

no way - i saw a yellow one in the solihull the other day, with a canvas roof and on mambas and reminded me of your car. I take it it wasn't yours?

No problems - although i have quite a list of people waiting for a ride in it so you might be in for a wait.

You're welcome to come and have a look at it some time if you like?

#20 bigandy

bigandy

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 10:51 PM

got the subframe all cut up and tidied up tonight. just finished a coat of paint but will probably ned another in the morning. Painted up a couple of other brackets etc.

Posted Image

and 5 mins later...

Posted Image

spot the difference :(

Posted Image

Didnt need those bits anyway :P

Posted Image

#21 bigandy

bigandy

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 12:20 PM

Got the second coat of painton, but its not too hot today, so i doubt it will be dry enough to get it fitted today, never mind. Rebuilt the gearbox, just waiting on some clutch/flywheel bolts from Land Rover then i can reintroduce mr gearbox to mr engine and get it fitted

Posted Image

Posted Image

#22 bigandy

bigandy

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 09:28 PM

Got the engine back in to the garage this evening, ready to be bolted in. Nothings gonna happen tomorow - still waiting on bolts for the clutch. Nice seeing it all lined up ready for fitting though :(

Posted Image

Posted Image

#23 bigandy

bigandy

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 03:48 PM

engine is in at long last :dozing: :xxx:

Its not a one man job, so it took alot of running round and under the car to get it in with a trolley jack, axle stands, and lots of planks of wood and bricks.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Fits like a glove :o

Posted Image

Was a bit worried having got the engine in, that the bar i welded in at the last minute might make it a pig to fit the exhaust, but it slipped in ok ...with loads of room to spare :-

Posted Image

A mate joked the other night that it would be an engine out job to change the spark plugs...i laughed nervously....but im pleased to say it isn't :D Just have to undo one of the stabilisers and rock the engine forward :geek:

#24 Teapot

Teapot

TMF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 04:43 PM

Since you started posting lots of pix there's been an awed silence. Well, I'm awed! I really enjoy someone else's hard work. :geek: It looks an excellent project.

Used to live in Widney Lane, Solihull by the way. But don't recognise it any more. :dozing:

#25 maph2

maph2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Local Club: Poor Boys Warwick

Posted 26 July 2006 - 09:27 AM

a great build by the way ! some inspirational thoughts i have had:-

1) i assume it would be quite simple to drop in the kv6 engine in this frame too - by using engine mounts cut off a mg/rover 45 (theres a kitcar out there that rear mounts a kv6)? :geek:
2) how similar is a lotus elise rear subframe (lightweight steel galvanised either kseries or toyota engines) to the mgf ?
3) what about a smart car rear end, ditch the smart 3 cylinder a drop in a bike engine?

#26 maph2

maph2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 09:42 AM

forgot to mentioned also, that the 1.8turbo engine from a rover 75 will go in as well - an off the shelf 200bhp :geek: :dozing: :xxx:

#27 bigandy

bigandy

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 11:28 AM

err, the 1.8 turbo is nowhere near 200bhp. Max power as standard according to Powertrain (people who make the K series) is 160ps in the ZT, and only 150ps in the 75. The T series (2 litre turbo from vitesse, tomcat etc) is 200bhp out the factory. I don't want a turbo as i want this car to be very driveable - a turbo coming on boost half way round a corner in a very short car is not a good idea.

the lotus elise is an all aluminum bathtub - nothing like an mgf. This is already the exige spec engine so no point changing it for an elise k or vtec engine

the kv6 might be able to be dropped in - but the roll cage has been built around this engine, so its unlikely that it will fit. Plus its a much bigger heavier engine - wont make for good handling in a small light car. Yes the KV6 comes in a rover 45, but that doesnt have a subframe, and mounts totally differently to a k series.

The GTM ( assume that the kit you're referring to) rear mounts the kv6, yes, but that uses custom mounts, suspension etc, so nothing would be transferrable to this car.

Errr, i dont follow your thinking with the smart car idea...why would i want to do that?

Current plans are to get the car up and running then custom make a supercharger set up using the BMW MINI charger which should push 230bhp easily

#28 maph2

maph2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 01:57 PM

these were only thoughts for others to take inspration from. not necessarily for you to act on etc....not having a go or anything. your car is a brilliant.....in fact i think i would like to do the same as you when i've finished my vauxhall 16ver build.

if the 1.8T is only 160ps then it will be very mild to drive (bit like my golf gti turbo, hardly any lag at all) however there is plenty of torque compared to an N/A 4pot. however, the standrad turbo engine would be well in excess of 200bhp with a remap! (the VAG engines in standard form but with bigger turbos from a TT/s3/LCR will do over 260bhp quite happily. poverty spec is 150bhp)

the elise does indeed have a ali tub but the engine/rear running gear on mounted on steel rear subframe:-more info at http://www.grouplotu...oad.php?pid=276

I only thought the KV6 would be an ideal candidate to fit the subframe is becuase i thought the kv6 lower block casting is the same as the 4pot....i know someone who dabbled with kseries engine swops in rover metros - the only reason why a kv6 wouldn't go into a metro is because of restricted engine bay - otherwise it would drop in on standard 4 pot mounts.

the reason i mentioned using a smart rear end is no different to you using a mgf rear end - it has a narrow width ideal for minis, is rear engined, is light weight and the best of all the 3 pot smart engine can be junked in favour of a bike engine that would fit well (i have a smart roadster coupe also, and have smarts with R1 's in)

Edited by maph2, 26 July 2006 - 02:00 PM.

#29 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 05:47 PM

Just been flicking through again.

Thats a front subframe in the back... on disks. So how will you go about a handbrake?

#30 bigandy

bigandy

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 07:53 PM

fair enough maph, i thought you were suggesting i change the engine :dozing: my bad. You caught me in a bitchy moment :geek:

You're only in leam, welcome to come and have a look if you like? My student house next year is in greenwood court, just past upper holly walk. The car will be staying in solihull, but i'll hopefully be able to get bits over to leam to clean them up etc ready to fit

Yup its a front subframe, but I have the disk assembly from the rear of an mgf - handbrake calliper etc, Just needs one of the holes on each of the hubs elongated by a couple of mill. the callipers are fitted in my post form the 22nd July, you can just make out the calliper fitted to the hub, and the handbrake coming off the assembly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users