#1 Tanya

Tanya

Snuggle-Buddy

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Local Club: Abingdon Mini Owners Club

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:31 PM

Very sadly, John Sheppard the remaining member of the original Mini design team has passed away.  I'm not sure when, and I am trying to find out.  

I met John three years ago and we became friends, meeting at the shows that he could get to and exchanging Christmas cards.  Although he was extremely knowledgeable about the early Mini, he was just a thoroughly lovely, kind and generous man and that is how I shall remember him. He was so humbled by the interest in the Mini and his role in it, and just loved his days out at Mini occasions, despite the crippling pain from his arthritis.  He was often quite emotional at the end of a Mini occasion as they bought back such good memories for him, and he loved talking to Mini fans.  I last saw him in September 2014 when I interviewed him for Practical Classics and we exchanged Christmas cards last Christmas, and being John he didn't just sign his name, he took the time to tell me his news.

This is the story of how and why I first met John - http://www.theminifo...-issigonis-way/

This is a sad loss for the Mini community and a sad loss for me personally.  Good bye and rest in peace dear John.  

Edited by Tanya, 30 March 2015 - 11:10 PM.

#2 Tanya

Tanya

Snuggle-Buddy

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Local Club: Abingdon Mini Owners Club

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:27 PM

MiniWorld's Kay Drury has confirmed that John died yesterday.  

#3 myredmini

myredmini

My Mummy Says It's OK

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • Name: Dan
  • Local Club: BOG MOG

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:10 PM

R.I.P John

#4 minidizzy

minidizzy

Super Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC, Mini Cooper Register

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:11 PM

That is very sad news.

At Brooklands yesterday I was again admiring the beautifully proportioned and detailed shape of the Mini, which was very much down to John as Issigonis only ever did sketches.

I had the huge privilege of talking to John at Gaydon Mini Festival in 2012 and he was such a lovely man and truly inspirational.

His career had followed the reverse of mine, which amused him. He wanted to be an architect and became a car designer instead. He said in those days to become an architect he would have had to work for Birmingham's City Architect for no money so he decided to go and work for Alvis instead.

One day there he was told to report to Issigonis. He combed his hair and polished his shoes because he was about to meet the designer of the Morris Minor. Despite the nervousness they got on very well and John always referred to him as Issy.

John told me about the importance of geometry and proportion and I told him this was always what I believed in myself.

I quizzed him about the input of the other BMC designers and consultants. Dick Burzi and Battista "Pinin" Farina and he was adamant that they were not involved and that Issy and his team had control all the way through to the Mk III.

He knew John Cooper and the Richmonds and he delighted in pointing out Bunty Richmond's Downton Mini parked close by and that it had survived her wish to be buried in it.

There was an opportunity for an autograph so I went prepared. In the Gaydon shop I had bought the Sun Star model of 621 AOK and I asked to sign the booklet that came with it. He was fascinated with the model and promised not to drop it. I don't think I would have minded if he had. If anyone had the right to leave a mark on it then it was him.

This is great loss to the Mini community. His role in the creation of a universally recognised icon is an achievement that few can match.

May he rest in peace.

#5 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,806 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:01 PM

Very sad to hear this news especially coming so soon after the recent loss of Doug Adams:
http://www.theminifo...ni-design-team/

John%20amp%20Doug-2_zps7twgmzqv.jpg

Along with Tanya I was lucky enough to ask some questions and hear several of John Sheppards interesting early 'Mini' stories first hand over a nice lunch, after he unveiled 'Alec Issigonis Way' in Oxford back in 2012.
Alec Issigonis Way Unveiled:-
http://www.theminifo...-issigonis-way/

SAM_3261.jpg
My photo above of John Sheppard (The man who drew the Mini as part of Alec Issigonis's design team) carrying out the official unveiling cermony with local Cowley, Oxford East MP, Andrew Smith, a 1959 Cowley built Morris Mini-Minor and a 2012 MINI built at the Oxford Plant across the road.

Edited by mab01uk, 30 March 2015 - 07:15 PM.

#6 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:21 PM

R.I.P.....God bless......

#7 IndieBoo

IndieBoo

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:18 PM

John was my Dad and I can confirm that he was taken into hospital on Thursday and passed away aged 93 on Sunday afternoon. I am lucky and proud to be his daughter and pleased that his legacy will live on not only in his family but in one of the greatest and innovative cars of the 20th century. Rest in peace and know that you and the Mini were loved by many.

#8 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:21 PM

Very sad. Condolences to his family & friends, thoughts are with you. 

#9 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:25 PM

That is sad news. RIP John. Sounds like he was a good man to know with a lot of interesting stories. 

#10 minidizzy

minidizzy

Super Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:50 PM

There is a nice obituary in the Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph...r-obituary.html

#11 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:17 PM

thats so sad :-( he sounds like a top guy. RIP!

i have that same model sunstar mini, its in my display cabinet in my front room. did you get the sunstar display box to go with it?

#12 minidizzy

minidizzy

Super Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 04:18 PM

thats so sad :-( he sounds like a top guy. RIP!

i have that same model sunstar mini, its in my display cabinet in my front room. did you get the sunstar display box to go with it?

I have not heard of the display box. I only got the cardboard box it came in. It also included a small box with spare tyre, hub caps and tool kit, with jack and wheel brace, plus a special tool to undo the wheel nuts and another to open the rear side windows. There is a commemorative booklet (which John signed for me) and a numbered certificate.

#13 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • 2,661 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 12 May 2015 - 04:58 PM

Sounds like a really nice guy. Nice obituary in the link.

RIP

#14 Orange-Phantom

Orange-Phantom

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:30 PM

Rest in Peace fella.

Thank you for your part in designing the best car in the world, ever!  A car that has and still continues to bring a huge grin to everyone who has one in their life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users