Photo
- - - - -

998 Power Or Am I Just Waiting My Time?

Best Answer Cooperman , 01 April 2015 - 02:56 PM

The OP said he can't insure a forced induction car, so presumably no BOOST is possible.

Really if you want to go faster, then buy a more modern car. A 57-year old design is not going to be fast by any stretch of the imagination.

The classic Mini is really just an old classic car with all the limitations of something that old. It can be slightly improved for better road performance, but that is expensive and not a total solution.

As another response said above, keep the classic Mini for classic retro driving and get a cheap modern car (Suzuki Swift, MG-ZR, Fiesta, or similar) for day-to-day driving with modern performance, comfort & reliability. Then use the classic car for weekend runs, shows and for fun.

Modified with a 295 head, with the compression ratio set correctly - it's not a straight swap - and with twin HS2 carbs, a Cooper ex. manifold and exhaust system and a better cam it will go like a Mk.1 998 Cooper with about 55 bhp. Those are nice 'period modifications' and will not reduce reliability too much. It will be a bit nicer to drive and you can expect around 0 - 60 in 16 to 17 seconds with a maximum speed of about 85 to 88 mph, assuming the final drive ratio suits this. The original 998 Cooper had a 3.76 FDR.

Remember, there were classic car enthusiasts in the 1960's & '70's. They had cars like the original Austin 7 which was flat out at about 50 when a then-current Mini Cooper would top out at over 80 mph. Yes, they were sometimes modified, but they would never go, stop or corner like a then modern car such as the Mini, Ford Anglia, etc.. The same applies to classic cars from the '60's now.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 doormatt

doormatt

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:04 PM

My current 998 got 48.7bhp on the rolling road wi about 30 something at the wheels. It's enough to have a bit of fun but I would really like some more power as quite frankly 48.7 isn't much to be proud of...

What are people's suggestions? I tried to get quotes for supercharging my 998 but my current insurer wouldn't insure me with that so I essentially want to stay n/a. I would also love to keep my 998 as it seems to run fine and I don't really want to go through the hassle of finding another decent engine and putting that in.

I have a 12g295 head at home which would need reconditioning but is that worth doing?

What do you clever lot suggest to get some more power or am I just plain crazy trying to get more power out of the 998?

#2 kyle9832

kyle9832

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:17 PM

cheap way to do it is to use a 1275 but if you are a fan of the 998( and quite rightly so! very revvy little engine!), yes the 12g295 would be a very good improvement as long as it is restored well, alloy intake manifold, steel manifold, change of cam, mabey a 266 or 76 and distributer re-curve(aldon automotive) depends how much you want to spend!

#3 Dr s

Dr s

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:19 PM

It'll never be fast. Period.

It can be fun and rewarding to drive well.

My mk2 has a overbored 998 engine giving 1050cc, 32 * 28mm valves in a 12g295 head and is fully worked and built for 7500rpm. It makes about 75bhp.
You don't need to spends this much money.

Suggest if the engine is good compression and running well then recon the head, fit 997 cooper cam or mg metro, cooper free flow and an hs4 for 55ish bhp. That would get a great engine that you can feel coming on cam and pulling well in a useable range that'll be as quick as a 60's cooper

#4 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:30 PM

cheap way to do it is to use a 1275 but if you are a fan of the 998( and quite rightly so! very revvy little engine!), yes the 12g295 would be a very good improvement as long as it is restored well, alloy intake manifold, steel manifold, change of cam, mabey a 266 or 76 and distributer re-curve(aldon automotive) depends how much you want to spend!

Gotta agree. It will work out much cheaper to go to a 1275 and it will be a far better all round engine instead of a screamer.

On the smaller engines, you really need to go to Nth degree to get everything you can from them and it will cost bucket loads, especially the head. Yet to achieve similar (but better) results from a 1275 all you need do is fit bigger Valves and change the Cam. You can of course do more than this, but you'll probably find you won't want to.

<Edit: Oh and the 1275 will last longer>

Edited by Moke Spider, 31 March 2015 - 07:30 PM.

#5 coopdog

coopdog

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,506 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:30 PM

I disagree with people who say that a mini will never be fast,
It's a very closed minded opinion.

Anything can be made fast with the correct knowledge and will power (and deep enough pockets)

Mini engines make the best power when going down the forced induction root

My 998 will be putting out 120hp when I'm done with it

#6 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:33 PM

We all need to remember that the classic Mini is just that, a true classic car. It will not be fast as it is a 'mirror' to what driving was like 50 years ago in the case of the Mini. It's the same with all classic cars. Go drive an MGB - quick in its time - and see how slow it seems compared with, say, a standard modern family car.

As above, build it to the specification of a 998 Cooper, which had 55 bhp and a low FDR to give then good acceleration (0 - 60 in c.16 seconds) and you'll see what it was like when I bought my first new car, a 998 Cooper, in 1964 ;D .

If you want to go fast, buy a modern car. There are quick classics, but at a price - 1973 Porsche Carrera 2.7RS, Jag E-Type, Ferrari Dino, etc.

The cost of getting a lot of power from a Mini is very high and for that you could buy something seriously quick.

Edited by Cooperman, 31 March 2015 - 07:34 PM.

#7 Dr s

Dr s

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:37 PM

Guess it depends on your frame of reference on the drive out side I have diesel merc that will get to 60 in about 6.7 seconds that's a pretty ordinary car and not terribly rapid. A mini will take a world of work to even get close to that.

I reckon with 75bhp I might be getting sub 10's 0-60

#8 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:47 PM

Guess it depends on your frame of reference on the drive out side I have diesel merc that will get to 60 in about 6.7 seconds that's a pretty ordinary car and not terribly rapid. A mini will take a world of work to even get close to that.

I reckon with 75bhp I might be getting sub 10's 0-60

Yes, my wife & I both have BMW's which will do 0 - 60 in around 7 seconds, but go on to a limited 150 mph (in Germany, of course).

My 1310 cc 1964 Cooper 'S' with a full-on rally engine and all straight-cut gears will do 0 - 60 in 7.3 seconds, using 7000 rpm in 2nd, but it is geared low and at 7000 rpm in top it's doing about 100 mph. And it's blooming noisy and I have to wear ear plugs on the road. My engine/transmission would cost well over £15000 if I couldn't do the entire build myself. 

Just enjoy the classic Mini as a retro icon unless you are doing historic motor-sport, in which case be prepared for some big bills.

#9 doormatt

doormatt

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:09 PM

Yeah I'm not looking for something to match modern cars, if I was I would go straight for an engine swap with something like a vtec or just buy a modern car! I was just wondering how I can make it a bit quicker to enjoy all the country roads near me so I'm more concerned about it being quick to accelerate and just fun

I'm liking the sound of the 998 cooper style engine

#10 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 31 March 2015 - 09:24 PM

Get hold of a modified 998 head, ported polished, deshrouded and bigger valves... Change the cam to even an MG metro spec cam and the car will be alot better to drive

#11 carthorse

carthorse

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 09:25 PM

A lot depends on if you plan to take the engine/box out or not as taking it out is the only way to change the cam properly. I'd suggest if it's coming out for a cam change then take the chance to do a full refresh if you can afford it. Re-bore to the first oversize, sw5 or 265 cam (or similar) upgraded head or 1275 head with block pockets and a decent carb and exhaust.
While its out rebuild the box and fit a hardened diff pin. Change the FD also if you want to to suit the driving you do ( lots of options here and probably lots of threads on various options if you search)

If the engines not coming out then a decent stage one kit plus a reworked head carefully put together ( match and smooth the ports etc) is about as far as you can get. Still worthwhile and a lot cheaper.

#12 Shawbags

Shawbags

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 11:34 PM

THIS LAD WANTS TO MAKE HIS MINI FASTER THATS THE WHOLE REASON FOR BUYING A MINI IN THE FIRST PLACE , I'M SURE HE KNOWS THAT MORE MODERN CARS ARE FASTER BUT IF HE WENT DOWN THAT ROUTE IT OBVIOUSLEY WOULD'NT BE A MINI , I THINK , EVEN THOUGH YOU ARE AN EXPERT ON MINI'S , SOMETIMES YOU TAKE THE WIND OUT OF SOME PEOPLES SAILS .

#13 Shawbags

Shawbags

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 11:35 PM

MY LAST QUOTE WAS FOR COOPERMAN .

#14 kyle9832

kyle9832

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 11:44 PM

THIS LAD WANTS TO MAKE HIS MINI FASTER THATS THE WHOLE REASON FOR BUYING A MINI IN THE FIRST PLACE , I'M SURE HE KNOWS THAT MORE MODERN CARS ARE FASTER BUT IF HE WENT DOWN THAT ROUTE IT OBVIOUSLEY WOULD'NT BE A MINI , I THINK , EVEN THOUGH YOU ARE AN EXPERT ON MINI'S , SOMETIMES YOU TAKE THE WIND OUT OF SOME PEOPLES SAILS .

Cooperman was simply putting into context that even though he says he would like his mini to be faster it would still not be fast by todays standard, he was just letting him know to not expect too much from the modifications.

#15 69k1100

69k1100

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 07:30 AM

A better question would have been "what are you hoping to achieve in terms of output" if he wants modern power in an NA format then you're better off with a modern car or engine swap (or twin cam head conversion)

If you're open to boost then the a-series may be up to it, depending on what you'd like in terms of longevity.

Personally? I'd buy the best mid 90's hot hatch you can (for not a lot f money) o think the 16v suzuki swift from the 90's is spiritually a mini with a modern engine, 5 gears and disks all round. No power steering, or power brakes, just good grass roots driving. And they can be tuned readily too.

Keep the mini for the nice cruises.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users