Photo
- - - - -

998 Power Or Am I Just Waiting My Time?

Best Answer Cooperman , 01 April 2015 - 02:56 PM

The OP said he can't insure a forced induction car, so presumably no BOOST is possible.

Really if you want to go faster, then buy a more modern car. A 57-year old design is not going to be fast by any stretch of the imagination.

The classic Mini is really just an old classic car with all the limitations of something that old. It can be slightly improved for better road performance, but that is expensive and not a total solution.

As another response said above, keep the classic Mini for classic retro driving and get a cheap modern car (Suzuki Swift, MG-ZR, Fiesta, or similar) for day-to-day driving with modern performance, comfort & reliability. Then use the classic car for weekend runs, shows and for fun.

Modified with a 295 head, with the compression ratio set correctly - it's not a straight swap - and with twin HS2 carbs, a Cooper ex. manifold and exhaust system and a better cam it will go like a Mk.1 998 Cooper with about 55 bhp. Those are nice 'period modifications' and will not reduce reliability too much. It will be a bit nicer to drive and you can expect around 0 - 60 in 16 to 17 seconds with a maximum speed of about 85 to 88 mph, assuming the final drive ratio suits this. The original 998 Cooper had a 3.76 FDR.

Remember, there were classic car enthusiasts in the 1960's & '70's. They had cars like the original Austin 7 which was flat out at about 50 when a then-current Mini Cooper would top out at over 80 mph. Yes, they were sometimes modified, but they would never go, stop or corner like a then modern car such as the Mini, Ford Anglia, etc.. The same applies to classic cars from the '60's now.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#16 69k1100

69k1100

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 07:31 AM

A better question would have been "what are you hoping to achieve in terms of output" if he wants modern power in an NA format then you're better off with a modern car or engine swap (or twin cam head conversion)

If you're open to boost then the a-series may be up to it, depending on what you'd like in terms of longevity.

Personally? I'd buy the best mid 90's hot hatch you can (for not a lot f money) o think the 16v suzuki swift from the 90's is spiritually a mini with a modern engine, 5 gears and disks all round. No power steering, or power brakes, just good grass roots driving. And they can be tuned readily too.

Keep the mini for the nice cruises.

#17 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts
  • Local Club: Club less.....

Posted 01 April 2015 - 02:20 PM

BOOST!

#18 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 01 April 2015 - 02:56 PM   Best Answer

The OP said he can't insure a forced induction car, so presumably no BOOST is possible.

Really if you want to go faster, then buy a more modern car. A 57-year old design is not going to be fast by any stretch of the imagination.

The classic Mini is really just an old classic car with all the limitations of something that old. It can be slightly improved for better road performance, but that is expensive and not a total solution.

As another response said above, keep the classic Mini for classic retro driving and get a cheap modern car (Suzuki Swift, MG-ZR, Fiesta, or similar) for day-to-day driving with modern performance, comfort & reliability. Then use the classic car for weekend runs, shows and for fun.

Modified with a 295 head, with the compression ratio set correctly - it's not a straight swap - and with twin HS2 carbs, a Cooper ex. manifold and exhaust system and a better cam it will go like a Mk.1 998 Cooper with about 55 bhp. Those are nice 'period modifications' and will not reduce reliability too much. It will be a bit nicer to drive and you can expect around 0 - 60 in 16 to 17 seconds with a maximum speed of about 85 to 88 mph, assuming the final drive ratio suits this. The original 998 Cooper had a 3.76 FDR.

Remember, there were classic car enthusiasts in the 1960's & '70's. They had cars like the original Austin 7 which was flat out at about 50 when a then-current Mini Cooper would top out at over 80 mph. Yes, they were sometimes modified, but they would never go, stop or corner like a then modern car such as the Mini, Ford Anglia, etc.. The same applies to classic cars from the '60's now.

Edited by Cooperman, 01 April 2015 - 03:31 PM.

#19 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

• Members
  • 1,802 posts
  • Local Club: Club less.....

Posted 01 April 2015 - 03:31 PM

There are no short cuts to power

#20 doormatt

doormatt

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 03:58 PM

Thanks this is pretty much what I was looking for! I know I'm not going to get crazy power which is why I'm saving up to build a very rare 90s turbo Japanese hatchback...

All I use my mini for currently is to for cruising in the nice weather and I was wondering if I could get some more power out of my 998 to have a bit more fun. I'm not looking to outrun modern cars or race or boast big number, I just want to be able to have a laugh driving it round the local country lanes and make the most of the nice weather when we get it!

#21 fenghuang

fenghuang

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 04:02 PM

Here's another way of looking at it:

IIRC the standard 998 produces about 33bhp and weighs 850kg. So about 39bhp/tonne.
It's possible to double that without too much black magic

#22 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 04:38 PM

Standard 850 produces 34 bhp and the standard 998 produces 38 to 40 bhp.

A 998 Cooper produces 55 bhp.

Can you imagine what we 850 owners thought when we first drove the original 997 or 998 Cooper? In a word, "Wow"!

#23 fenghuang

fenghuang

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 05:13 PM

998 : 47 bhp/tonne
998 Cooper : 65 bhp/tonne
Yamaha R1 Mini : 150 bhp/tonne

#24 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,641 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 01 April 2015 - 05:32 PM

What a great bit of advice... buy another car?? Seriously?? The best answer?? lol

Will be saying raise your suspension next...

Sorted 1275 -1380 will be fine!

#25 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:03 PM

The guy just said that he wants a road-useable 998.

How will saying "1380" help him when that requires special machining, a very expensive build and a much higher insurance. Plus the fact that at 1380 it may never take a re-bore again at a sensible price = one more scrapped block.

The guy wants to just drive it on the roads as a true classic car.

No matter what you do, a 57 year old designed car will never be as good as a modern car.

You can go to whatever bhp you like, it is still a transmission originally designed for 34 bhp and will have reliability issues with very high torque figures, as I know only too well.

If he gets it to 998 Cooper power & torque he will have a very nice classic to drive around in .

And why would I advise him to raise it? He is not suggesting radical suspension changes or rough road driving, is he?

If one wants to drive around with modern car performance, a classic car is far from the best answer.

#26 Shawbags

Shawbags

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:04 PM

We all know that mini's are not fast but its the nostalgia and fun that goes with a classic mini , I'm getting back into them to bring back memories , yes mid life crisis , I have always tried to stick to older simple cars and the mini is just that and as Cooperman last said to get out of an 850 into a cooper was great and I think that's what a lot of mini owners try to achieve , I apologies to Cooperman if my comment came over a bit blunt , cheers.

#27 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:23 PM

The real fun with the classic car movement is the opportunity for those of us old enough to remember to re-enjoy the driving we did way back when. For younger enthusiasts it is the chance to find out how driving was then, with no power steering, drum brakes (in many cases), poor heater systems/no air-con, 0 - 60 in something under a fortnight, single speed wipers, fixed position seats, no real safety systems, high-profile tyres and high fuel consumption. Also easy self-maintenance and a lot of fun. 

I'm currently restoring an MGB-GT, but there is no way it will ever go like a more modern 2-seat sports car. it will, however, be a nice drive in a retro way.

Isn't that what classics are all about, plus the satisfaction of doing the restoration yourself.

#28 carthorse

carthorse

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:34 PM

I spent a horrible amount of cash a few years back to make my spi as fast as a modern hatch. 1380, high lift cam, roller rockers, big valve head, mappable injection etc etc etc. That was without boring you all with all the suspension mods etc.
was it as fast as a modern hatch? Yes very nearly, and down a twisty lane there was little that could touch it point to point.
Was it fun to drive? Yes if you were in the mood and on the ball. If I was tired or just wanted to get home after work, no - it was a twichy noisy buzz box that needed far to much effort.
Was it worth it? Yes for a while, but when terminal rust needed addressing I broke it for spares, got decent money for all the performance bits and bought a loverly green 70's clubman (998) that never failed to bring a smile to my face.

You pays your money and takes your choice but everyone is different, uses their cars differently and has different expectations. There's really no 'right' answer so it's not worth arguing about.

The great thing about minis is there's so much stuff available is possible to create just about any spec you want.

#29 MJWarren

MJWarren

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Local Club: DCMOC

Posted 02 April 2015 - 06:46 AM

Can't actually believe getting an MG ZR is the best answer

#30 Broomer

Broomer

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 06:47 AM

Personally a waste of time.
a common A series turbo sound is brrrraaap, tsssst, bwrraaaap tsst BANG!.

Just make the most of what it is, cheap economical but slow motoring.

Edited by Broomer, 02 April 2015 - 06:50 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users