jagman.2003

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts
  • Local Club: Owner of my own club of Minis

Posted 10 April 2017 - 11:48 AM

Nice shiny things..!

I'm just about to clean up a rocker cover myself. Nice to see how good it could come out.

#182 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:22 PM

Small progress but the first re-furbished part of the new engine build.   From this:1275%20timing%20cover%20raw_zps02droiiy.To this:painted%20timing%20cover_zpsqf2shpem.jpg

#183 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:04 PM

thanks for all the pics mate, i was thinking of buying a mk3 and restoring it, but i can see from your car, you have made something you can mod the way you want and it be drivable etc.  You have inspired me! thanks!

#184 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 02:09 PM

Thanks for your kind comments - I felt that as later Minis aren't rare I could have some fun with the look and spec without annoying too many purists.  Obviously if I could have afforded a genuine Mk1 Cooper I would have gone to all lengths to keep it factory - but then would have been reluctant to risk taking it out on our crazy overstuffed roads.

JohnR

#185 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

Put's foolish ideas in peoples heads

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 04:34 PM

I agree with this. If you've got a rare or completely original example of a Mini then perhaps you should keep it stock and original, but many Minis can be modded safely without upsetting the purists. That is my view too :) 

#186 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 05:30 PM

Not much progress - have bought a pair of Midget SU HS2's as they seem to go for less money and I already have a Mini manifold. I had the body and float chamber of one of them media blasted and polished the dashpot - I'm leaving the other one assembled for now as a reference for re-building.  I've bought a selection of shiny bits such as a stainless heat shield and throttle mount for the manifold as well as gaskets etc.  I've DeOxed all the linkages and fixings ready for zinc plating.http://imgur.com/W3UpoXx W3UpoXx.jpg

hPMmZgV.jpg

Edited by johnR, 28 July 2017 - 05:33 PM.

#187 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 05:06 PM

Some goodies arrived in the post, I also collected my newly zinc'ed carb linkages, oil pipe, nuts and bolts etc
UT4Gbhd.jpg

Edited by johnR, 19 October 2017 - 03:43 PM.

#188 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 03:41 PM

Not much progress during the Summer as garden projects have taken precedence, but now the weather has changed I can get back in the garage.I've taken the head and block to my nearest engine re-finisher to check out with a view to having the unleaded conversion and valve de-shrouding work done. In the meantime I've started stripping the gearbox - found it very difficult to lock the gears to get the mainshaft nuts off and in fact I don't know what I did that caused them to lock in the end. However I took advantage of their immobility to remove the smaller one, then ordered a 1 1/2" socket for the big one. It arrived today and using a long socket handle with a metal tube extending it further and with two bags of concrete and my wife perched on the upturned box it came off.
I've ordered a windage tray and centre oil pick-up from Guessworks so I'll wait 'til the tray is trial fitted before I strip the box any further. I have a 63 tooth diff crownwheel which would appear to give me a 3.9:1 ratio - hopefully a lighter flywheel and the extra oomph from the headwork and better cam should give me a good compromise between acceleration and top speed/ecomomy?YvL5QDI.jpg

#189 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:26 PM

Good stuff. Follow from me. Now going back to read the rest of your thread

#190 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:26 PM

Phone melt down duplicated post and cant delete it

Edited by 73MkIII, 19 October 2017 - 09:30 PM.

#191 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:01 PM

Tech! - don't you love it!

#192 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:33 PM

Guessworks windage tray and centre oil pickup have arrived
OWv83ZX.jpg

Edited by johnR, 25 October 2017 - 05:34 PM.

#193 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 03:52 PM

Made a trip yesterday to AutoEngineering with 1275 engine parts. They will bore the cylinders, work to head(unleaded conversion, porting, match to inlet manifold,de-shrouding valves),grind and balance crank to associated components, vapour blast gearbox casings.
So now I need to put in an order for new pistons, lightened flywheel, valves and springs, bearings & new cam.
At the same time I need a re-furb kit for the gearbox. Time to take a hammer to the piggybank!

#194 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 04:06 PM

gearbox casings back from being vapour blasted and order for new bearings,baulk rings, uprated diff pin and all the gaskets & seals placed.QUIJvcC.jpg

#195 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 04:46 PM

Gearbox under construction - just waiting for some more bearings to arrive. I discovered that a spring and ball from one of the selector rings had made a successful bid for freedom so I need to replace them as well. When re-fitting I found that a jubilee clip didn't compress the balls enough for the splines to pass over so used three de-pointed nails and the assistance of my wife to get the pesky things in place. On taking the diff apart I found that the planet gear cup bearings had spun and worn away the casing and the pin and planet gears were knackered. The cost of replacing the damaged parts was about the same as a new cross pin diff from Minispares so have traded up to one.
rpszcMf.jpg

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users