604 replies to this topic

#196 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 04:30 PM

Goodies arrived yesterday! Lots of the parts missing from the 1275 unit when I bought it plus engine steady, new valve guides, duplex timing chain etc. Then today another package, from Swiftune this time with the SW5 cam, followers, valve springs and oil pump.
The gearbox rebuild is advancing with the gears and central oil pick-up in place. Waiting for a new cross pin diff and the remaining bearings to complete. yvnDqsz.jpg

Edited by johnR, 03 January 2018 - 04:40 PM.

#197 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 02:47 PM

I have most of the parts now - gears are all running ok and I've taken all the remaining external nuts, bolts and cover plates for zinc plating so then I can finish the box. 

I read somewhere that to replace the transfer case bearings 'heat it in the oven then bang it on a flat piece of wood and the bearings will just fall out' ..yeah, right! I heated it to 140 degrees and even with a slide hammer bearing puller it was a struggle to get the smaller one out. I haven't got a big enough extractor for the bigger one so will have to find someone who has, then I'll get the case vapour blasted and put the new bearings in.

In the meantime I've re-built the carbs - luckily only the throttle spindles were worn, not the bodies so they don't need re-bushing.

I'll pick up the completed inlet manifold on Monday and make the whole carb assembly up. The head is currently being ported so it's coming together.mdAiogl.jpg

#198 miniireland

miniireland

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 03:18 PM

great build thread

#199 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 05:03 PM

Picked up the inlet manifold and bolted the carbs on - one dashpot to polish

fMDqCet.jpg

#200 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

Put's foolish ideas in peoples heads

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 05:14 PM

The polished dashpots look great! Still waiting to fit the twin carbs on my car. 

#201 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 05:24 PM

I might get a pair of open alloy trumpets for them just for the look - even if they're not practical (or advisable!)

#202 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

Put's foolish ideas in peoples heads

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 05:27 PM

I still like the look of the standard air filter box, but you're so right, the ram tubes really look good on twin carbs. 

#203 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 06:42 PM

2nd dashpot wet'n'dry sanded and polished, together with a before picture0iArvM0.jpg

1Vjmh0M.jpg

And the replacement block ready to go off for cam bearings fitting etc

07hdxtL.jpg

#204 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 07:33 PM

is that an a series block not a+?

#205 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 10:04 PM

Yes it is - suits my retro look

#206 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 04:39 PM

I decided to fit a leather bonnet strap - it turns out there are a few adjustments to make when fitting it like this. The alloy 'cap' on the grille end needs to be profiled with a file to follow the shape of the moustache or it will distort it and the front one of the three bolts needs to be trimmed flush with the nyloc nut or it fouls the front panel under the moustache. 6rWyyy0.jpgIcaZL3M.jpg

I've also collected the block which has been bored and skimmed and had new cam bearings fitted, together with the new pistons & ground and balanced crank/lightweight clutch. I finished cleaning up the exterior of the block ready for painting when the weather is a lot warmer!
wmH1Q4T.jpg

Edited by johnR, 28 February 2018 - 04:40 PM.

#207 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:49 PM

warm(ish) sunshine at last! So out into the garage to mask up the block, warm it with a hot air gun and a coat of etch primer
YdmlaSa.jpgX1u1zpM.jpgKZLVq4q.jpg2dmQoQn.jpg

Top tip when masking - lay the tape on overhanging the edges, then use the handle of a Stanley knife held at 45 degrees to rub along the sharp edges until the excess tape can be gently pulled away

Edited by johnR, 08 March 2018 - 02:52 PM.

#208 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:33 PM

simular, if your making a gasket you can tap the edges with a small ball ended hammer to cut the paper ;)

#209 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:26 AM

One side painted - I love this paint, it runs out so beautifully and covers so well

ImJtDkO.jpg

#210 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 05:18 PM

garage tidied, engine stand adaptor re-drilled for A series rather than A+ mounting bolt (generator bracket holes in different position than alternator bracket) and block bolted on to stand.  Now I discover that I haven't got my crank main bearings so need to pick those up - in the meantime I'm checking the gaps of the piston rings in the bores - presumably its more important that they're not too tight rather than being a few thou mm larger than the manual says?

hCNapkC.jpg

Edited by johnR, 12 March 2018 - 05:19 PM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users