604 replies to this topic

#211 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 10:59 AM

An Ebay purchase of a vented rocker cover arrived yesterday together with a few odd bits I'd forgotten from MS - decided to get the 'house' head studs, can't quite justify the cost of ARPs
8YvIq0w.jpg

#212 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:47 PM

Today I borrowed a bigger torque wrench and finished the gearbox - diff next. I had the clutch casing blasted by a different company than did the gearbox and they appear to have used much coarser media which has left it looking terrible. I'll have to take it to the previous one to see if they can improve the finish. H6wHjGp.jpgxluLefs.jpgs4DDKPO.jpg

#213 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

Put's foolish ideas in peoples heads

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 03:04 AM

That gearbox is looking great! Quick question, how did you have it cleaned? I've got a GTS gearbox that I want to rebuild and since it's not on the car, I'd like to get it done right. 

#214 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 08:23 AM

I had it vapour blasted together with the diff covers etc - they came out beautifully, especially the smooth surfaces - which is why I was so disappointed with the clutch casing.

#215 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 09:16 AM

I had it vapour blasted together with the diff covers etc - they came out beautifully, especially the smooth surfaces - which is why I was so disappointed with the clutch casing.

Thanks. I think there are companies that offer a similar service here. 

#216 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 11:48 AM

Picked up the missing main bearing shells and fitted them. I checked the crank endfloat (0.06mm which would appear to be fine) but can't check the running clearance because I found I don't have what I assume is a 3/8 allen socket to torque down the centre cap bolts. ordered a set.HJRRQ6q.jpg

#217 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 12:58 PM

You can use a known bolt to measure the allen key hex size ;-)

#218 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 01:30 PM

I measured the normal allen key that fitted it at 9.52mm and the good old intertwit confirmed that as 3/8" - and in fact the sockets have arrived (good service A.B.Tools Online) and it is correct.

I have now been able to plastigauge the bearings - the outer ones were about 0.048mm and the centre 0.038 - both within the range given in the manual - presumably the slight difference doesn't matter?

Edited by johnR, 23 March 2018 - 01:43 PM.

#219 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 04:15 PM

Big end running clearances checked and pistons installed
wbTdXDQ.jpg

Checked my primary gear endfloat - quite a bit too big at 0.017"

#220 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 07:34 AM

Thought I'd start fitting the diff - drifted the bearings on with a big socket and looked for the bolts for the sideplates. I'd kept all the bolts from disassembly together and by number and size it looked like the 5/16 x 1" bolts were the ones I needed which was confirmed by Minispares parts diagram for the sideplates. However MiniMania's diff build video says only use 3/4" bolts or they will bottom out, and in fact the first two I tried did seem to be bottoming. Can anyone confirm which length is right?hdexnRR.jpg

#221 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 08:41 AM

I seem to have an issue with the runout of my primary gear - I replaced the thrust ring but now I have a big difference in the clearance depending on where around the backing ring I measure - it seems to vary between about .013" and binding! So lots of measuring of components today I think.

#222 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 03:43 PM

Mixing and matching parts has got me to within .001" so we'll stick with that.   Final fitting of all the gearbox covers, with gaskets smeared both sides with blue Hylomar.

RXrrTtl.jpg

I'm now at the stage of fitting the box to the block

#223 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 03:58 PM

The gearbox is looking good! I bet you can't wait to have it all out back together.

#224 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 04:19 PM

Absolutely! My machinist is still catching up after snowdays and illness so the head still isn't ready. I will be re-MOTing the car next week and I was hoping to have it finished and fitted by then but never mind! Couldn't resist buying one of the little brass taps for draining the block - love the retro look of it.

#225 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 02:55 PM

can anyone identify these shims/washers? they are 38mm x 2mm thick
3uNNMwC.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users