604 replies to this topic

#61 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 06:27 PM

That's what I thought!!! my computer is out to humiliate me!

#62 Hendred

Hendred

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 07:11 PM

Must be personal ha ha, car looks great with all 4 wheels

#63 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 05 June 2015 - 09:07 PM

thats come on a real treat ,,,,,keep up the good work........... :highfive:

here are some pics for you

myresto66.jpg

myresto71.jpg

myresto76.jpg

adfluxpics5.jpg

adfluxpics6.jpg

since I built this in 2009 I have rebuilt My engine......

complete%20engine%202_zpssg1rhvjk.jpg

complete%20engine%201_zps5r4bcxsx.jpg

#64 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 12:16 PM

Very nice!  You may be able to answer a question - where did you route your heater pipes?  Unfortunately I didn't notice before I sent it off for welding that the centre instrument binnacle covers one of the original heater pipe holes in the bulkhead and is on the edge of the other.  I dont want to send it back for more welding to blank the holes so I was thinking of cutting a piece of steel to fit the hole and bond it in with another slightly larger thin piece behind it.  I wondered about bringing the heater pipes up through the LHD master cylinder blanking plate?heater%20pipes%20problem_zpsegiqcttd.jpg

Another issue is the front bumper overriders - has anyone else found that the overrider clamping bolts foul the front panel to valance flange?

The final annoyance (so far) is the dash switch panel - I assumed that a MK1 version would be a direct swap for the later type - but the holes for the mounting screws on my dash rail are off centre so there may be no way round having to have them welded up and drill new ones - the shape of the hole is wrong too - it needs enlarging widthways. 

switch%20panel_zpsy1bqwncg.jpg

#65 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 05:30 PM

Very nice!  You may be able to answer a question - where did you route your heater pipes?  Unfortunately I didn't notice before I sent it off for welding that the centre instrument binnacle covers one of the original heater pipe holes in the bulkhead and is on the edge of the other.  I dont want to send it back for more welding to blank the holes so I was thinking of cutting a piece of steel to fit the hole and bond it in with another slightly larger thin piece behind it.  I wondered about bringing the heater pipes up through the LHD master cylinder blanking plate?

Earlier cars had the heater pipes run through the redundant l/h/s master cylinder holes. You should be able to get the blanking plate used on the earlier cars no problem which is just a flat plate that bolts on with 2 holes for the hoses.

As for the heater holes in the bulkhead, i wonder if you could do something elegant like 2 stainless plates cut slightly oversize with a piece of threaded bar welded to one of them  and then pass it through with a rubber gasket and then the front one can have a hole drilled for the threaded bar to pass through with a nice stainless wing nut on it.

if that makes sense.....

#66 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 08:24 PM

Yes, I've got the flat plate so I think that's the way I'll go. I need longer heater pipes anyway because I've done away with the in-line heater control so I'll measure up for a complete run through the plate.

I've had a day of two halves today, it went well to start with in that I found there were two holes on the inner wing where the washer bottle would normally be

(I'm converting to Mk 1 style one up on the bulkhead) that are perfectly spaced to mount the compressor for the air horns ant the standard horn bracket looks as though it will be fine to mount the trumpets on.

Then I couldn't get enough slack in the handbrake cable to reach the lever and found after much head-scratching that I'd mistakenly put the quadrants on the top of the swinging arms and the backplates on the wrong sides which has the effect of shortening the cable by about 2".

So now I've got to swap all that around. Tomorrow I hope to be able to move on to fitting the fuel tanks.

6th%20June_zps4fzb31kw.jpg

engine%20bay_zpsocskhfub.jpg

Edited by johnR, 14 June 2015 - 06:09 PM.

#67 peter-b

peter-b

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Local Club: still looking

Posted 06 June 2015 - 11:54 PM

You could just put rubber grommets in the holes, that would look slightly factory.

#68 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 08:49 AM

Peter
I could do that with the one on the left in the picture (if there is an oval one available?) but the rim of the instrument binnacle is partially over the other one which would mean I wouldn't be able to tighten it to the bulkhead without pushing the grommet out.
John

#69 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 10:48 AM

I've been doing little jobs to move the project along, I've changed the rear backplates over to the correct sides and connected up the handbrake successfully.
I've test fitted the fuel tanks and tweaked the connecting pipe to fit - I've taken them out again while I run the rear wiring loom and connect up the rear lights.
Good news - the carpets and seat covers arrived from Newton. Bad news - the rear seat back cover is two inches short at the top and the same long at the bottom and the cover ripped as I was vainly trying to pull it in place. Good news - Newton were very keen to put things right and I will send my old cover back for them to use as a pattern.
seats%20amp%20carpets_zpswtiqmsda.jpgattempt%20fit%20rear%20seat%20back%202_z

Edited by johnR, 14 June 2015 - 06:05 PM.

#70 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 10:49 AM

Having successfully managed to hoodwink the computer into posting some photos I've gone back and re-posted some more.

JohnR

Edited by johnR, 14 June 2015 - 06:07 PM.

#71 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 10:49 AM

Computer still giving me a hard time!!!

#72 jagman.2003

jagman.2003

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts
  • Local Club: Owner of my own club of Minis

Posted 12 June 2015 - 12:14 PM

Nice selection of interior panels there. Newton certainly seem to do a good job.

#73 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 03:01 PM

Yes they look great and in fact Newton have said that they will fit all the covers if I send the seats to them so you can't fault the customer service

Edited by johnR, 12 June 2015 - 03:03 PM.

#74 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 05:39 PM

Today I painted the seat frames,which because of the wind meant running the car out into the sunshine to use the garage as a spraybooth.003_zpshbpfb3vv.jpg

Edited by johnR, 14 June 2015 - 06:03 PM.

#75 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 05:59 PM

I have low expectations of my computer allowing me to post the pictures but I wonder if anyone has had this issue with the overriders on bumpers - my front ones can't be tightened onto the bumper because the bolt fouls the body seam in fact even the captive nut plate fouls without the bolt.

I don't really want to notch the seam but can't really see any other option?

JohnR

002_zpsx9ax8oro.jpg001_zpsxjlgjd3u.jpg

Edited by johnR, 14 June 2015 - 06:02 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users