604 replies to this topic

#286 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 03:31 PM

Today I sorted out something that's been bugging me for ages - having to have a separate key for the boot. Luckily I already had a later type boot handle that came as a set with my push button door handles so I was able to remove the barrel from that and replace the one in my Mk1/2 handle.

It required drilling the square section rod for a spring pin because I haven't got the means to re-do the crimp that was there - the pin will be more secure anyway.

eANkPBW.jpg I also have the engine crane ready to hoist the 998 out.

Edited by johnR, 08 October 2018 - 03:34 PM.

#287 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 05:32 PM

The 998 is starting to look very lonely in the engine bay now that I've removed the carb, brakes, air horn compressor and anything else that would be in the way of removal. One driveshaft pot levered out easily but the other won't budge so I'll have to remove the boot and take the shaft out of the pot.

Nearly there!

WaKO5yK.jpg

#288 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 03:41 PM

Today I disconnected the remaining driveshaft and hooked up the crane. what I'd forgotten was that the crane has limited jib travel and the bottom of the engine ended up about 3" lower than the top of the front panel. I'd already lowered the car as much as possible so after some headscratching I tied the engine off to the garage rafters with a rope and shortened the strap I had been using. Now it's out so I'll be cleaning up the bay, restoring anything that needs it and prepping everything ready to take the new motor.

fLhwspw.jpg

#289 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 11:09 PM

I've finally got round to sorting out the nuts, bolts, pins and head steady that needed re-plating and had them done. Now I can finish the engine, then I need one last parts order (full exhaust, rad, brake master, dizzy and a few other bits.
D64YDPg.jpg

#290 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 10:29 PM

One of my customers has asked me to make a delivery tomorrow 3 miles from MiniSpares Oldbury which seems like a golden opportunity to buy all the remaining goodies I need!

Edited by johnR, 19 December 2018 - 10:30 PM.

#291 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 10:55 PM

did you make that engine hoist yourself?

#292 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 09:30 PM

No, a friend made it. 

Goodies collected - obligatory photo to follow when I get a moment.

Very confusing trying to find Minispares Oldbury - there's no Minispares signage whatsever - it's under David Manners Group bannerage - even when I walked in I wasn't sure I'd got the right place.

ivlZcen.jpg

Edited by johnR, 22 December 2018 - 02:36 PM.

#293 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 04:42 PM

I think something in the first coat (gloss, scotchpad keyed because I changed my mind)disagreed with the second coat (acrylic satin)Now I'll have to remove all of it - damn!
YoWaskm.jpg

#294 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

Put's foolish ideas in peoples heads

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 07:01 AM

Woah... that looks very odd. 

#295 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 11:02 AM

Yes, a bit extreme isn't it!
Anyway, better news, Dorsetware dropped off my zinc plated exhaust manifold this morning - zinc is recommended to be better than chrome in a hot environment (and you can't see it anyway)
FtYGpq2.jpg
Now I really need to get some paint to touch up the little chips around the bay before I put the engine in.

#296 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 05:41 PM

Engine connected up nearly ready for bench test. I need the dizzy and leads and to final fit the heater valve and thermostat cover
egy5BDv.jpg

#297 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 04:36 PM

With Spring just around the corner? I decided I'd better order the remaining parts - the 123 Bluetooth dizzy from SC parts (10% discount very welcome), RC40, hangers, dizzy clamp and gearbox bracket from MS and some yellow silicon HT leads from Ebay. A week to wait for the dizzy so I'd better get on re-painting the brake servo.

#298 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:59 PM

Two parcels today, one containing RC40 and hangers and gearbox bracket, the other the 123tune Bluetooth dizzy arriving early. Only need the dizzy clamp which is on it's way from MS.
Smyhs86.jpg

#299 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 04:06 PM

Today I mostly spilt oil everywhere. Although before that I fitted the distributor and wired it up, then connected it to the app on my phone - easy, no problems.
Then I decided to fill the engine with oil.
Firstly I thought I'd follow advice seen here to fill it into the block through the big end of the oil pipe with the banjo bolt removed. The oil had other ideas and didn't want to go in that hole, so just ran down the side of the engine and puddled on it's trolley.
Then I had another go with the oil pipe removed in case that was the problem - more oil down the engine, very little in the engine as far as I could ascertain.
So on to plan B - fill it through the rocker cover in the conventional way. I fitted the cover and poured in a quart filler can full.
About half of that went down both side of the engine as the rocker cover gasket hadn't sealed properly (there are no alignment plates on the long sides of this cover).
I then re-fitted the cover and gasket correctly and continued to fill.
With the 5litre tin empty the level was about right on the dipstick so I removed the plugs and turned it over - forgetting to keep an eye on the oil pressure gauge outlet until once again more oil pouring down the side of the engine caught my eye.
At least this indicates I have pressure. Whilst the engine was turning over I was hearing a clicking from the timing chain cover and I'm now wondering whether I removed the necessary metal from inside the cover when I knocked out the dent to fit the duplex chain. I suppose I'd better take the cover off and check. One step forward and one back!
dnHnEl1.jpg

Edited by johnR, 15 March 2019 - 05:04 PM.

#300 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 06:04 PM

I've taken the timing cover off and can see that the sprocket is just catching the circular pressing so off it must come.8YkKuBm.jpg
Wish I'd done this before I painted the cover!
js9b6xG.jpg
So now I need to re-paint the cover and re-fit.
Q5xUYOB.jpg

Edited by johnR, 18 March 2019 - 06:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users