'89 Mini City To 'mk1 Cooper S'
Posted 30 April 2019 - 06:10 PM
I rubbed down the 2nd head steady bracket but it keeps reacting when I spray it - I think l'll dump the aerosol of gloss black - it's been nothing but trouble with everything I've painted with it. I'll leave the steady off for now and have it powdercoated as well or get a new can of gloss.
Carbs bolted on with a skim of RTV either side of the main gasket around the inlet ports, pipes and cables connected (looks like the choke will need shortening!). Power connected to the windscreen washer motor.
Now I need to connect the exhaust to the manifold and we should be ready to fire it up.
Posted 02 May 2019 - 09:49 AM
Posted 03 May 2019 - 02:27 AM
Posted 03 May 2019 - 03:48 PM
Posted 06 May 2019 - 04:53 PM
Today we ascertained that the engine will run (roughly) if one carb mouth is covered. Getting nearer.
Posted 09 May 2019 - 03:23 PM
Still trying to track down the reason for excessive leaness - I took the exhaust and inlet manifolds off to compare flange thicknesses - only about 1mm difference which would be compensated for by the washer sloping either way but I ground them all to a closer tolerance while I had it all apart so I can rule out that possibility for a possible seal failure. AH2 needles (currently M) and two new gaskets ordered.
Posted 11 May 2019 - 09:54 PM
Then the new needles and gaskets arrived so I punched the holes in the gaskets for the locating pins and made some small adjustments to the apertures although they were almost spot on as they came. One needle fitted and centred, the other to do.
Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:10 PM
Posted 13 May 2019 - 09:24 PM
Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:38 PM
I've now richened it enough to start reasonably reliably although it still seems to be running quite hot and I'll soon run out of flats on the adjustment nuts - the temp gauge shows just above normal but then it boiled over - dodgy thermostat? Oil pressure still showing 100psi as well - sticking bypass valve? Then I ran out of petrol, this engine is definitely playing hard to get! Also need to bleed the clutch as selecting gears is difficult and there doesn't seem to be much pedal.
Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:53 PM
Posted 22 May 2019 - 04:34 PM
Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:05 PM
Another coat of paint (the last one!) has gone on the headstay bracket and the underbonnet soundproofing kit has arrived from Newton.
It was a fairly good fit out of the box - I had to trim a couple of the panels that were a little large and cut some holes to clear the fixings for the bonnet strap. There wasn't enough glue to put some on the bonnet and on the back of the soundproofing as suggested in the instructions so I just glued the bonnet and put the two together. Should be OK, I'm doing it with the bonnet off so it doesn't need to be stuck on contact as it would if you were sticking it upsidedown.
Posted 25 May 2019 - 02:55 PM
Posted 25 May 2019 - 03:33 PM
5 user(s) are reading this topic
1 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users