You're very kind, thank you. 

#468 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 08:22 PM

My son and I took the car out for a 0 - 60 timed run this evening. In standard form (city E 998 with peashooter exhaust) we'd only managed an asthmatic 35 seconds! Tonight with LCB rc40 and lighter flywheel plus some Vizarding to the carb on a Fletcher manifold we were at @ 20 seconds - not a landspeed record but a considerable improvement that shows the value of stage 1 improvements.

#469 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 08:19 PM

Spiyda were very good, sending out a remote tacho control board in exchange for the internal one which was a little too large for my tacho by return at no extra charge. I fitted it to a plate which I then stuck to the bulkhead and now have my tacho back.

1pKWxXY.jpg

#470 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 08:00 PM

I took the carb off to solder up this hole in the butterfly to try to lower the revs at idle a little

lnnMVa1.jpg

Not sure there was a great difference.

egfftj1.jpg

Then took it out for a drive as it's a lovely evening 

SP7hjDF.jpg

#471 Ell.s

Ell.s

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 08:54 PM

Looks beautiful

#472 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 03:37 PM

Some gobbets of grease around the offside wheelarch alerted me to this split outer driveshaft boot, and an inspection showed the other side heading the same way. The hub nuts were very tight and needed a long bar extended further with some tubing to crack them off. After removal of the retaining bolts I tied the caliper up to the shock upper mount and removed the disc. The steering arm and upper swivel joints parted with a quick knock of the hammer on the arms - the lower swivel played hard to get until I put a jack under the loosened swivel bolt/nut and used a forked swivel breaker to break the taper. I don't like using these if I can avoid it because they can rip the rubber boots but this time the boot survived. I then removed the inner pot boot tie and pulled the driveshaft out from the pot. Holding the shaft with the hub section against the side of my bench vice to stop it just swinging away while hitting it with a copper mallet removed the shaft. Unfortunately the wire circlip was in two parts on removal so I've had to order new. I'll remove the other side and repaint the driveshafts while I wait for them to arrive.

MGQA6P7.jpg

#473 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 11:11 AM

My local engineering workshop made me up a washer to pre-load the cv/axle - just waiting for a new torque wrench as the requirement is 255 - 270 Nm and mine were only good for 110.

ZyiU66x.jpg

#474 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 12:40 PM

apologies if it's already been mentioned/discussed, but next time you have the front hubs off, you might want to consider swapping the bolt round that links the tie-bar to the lower arm so it can't fall out in the event the nut should ever come undone

#475 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 12:56 PM

apologies if it's already been mentioned/discussed, but next time you have the front hubs off, you might want to consider swapping the bolt round that links the tie-bar to the lower arm so it can't fall out in the event the nut should ever come undone

Fair point! That's why it's good to post pics here - peer review is really useful. 

#476 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 03 October 2020 - 02:43 PM

Got fed up with the oil drip which I think is coming from the timing cover gasket so as it's raining I decided to sort it. Removed radiator shroud bolts, top hose and top and bottom bracket bolts so I could move the rad enough to get to the bottom hose jubilee and removed the rad. I've sluiced the radiator out and have rubbed down the shroud ready for a re-paint while it's off.

eCV5UUL.jpg

zJDhVP6.jpg

#477 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 07:22 AM

After much cursing and swearing (and repainting the rad shroud three times as I knocked it trying to reinstall it) it's back in and the oil weep from the timing cover seems cured. Out for a little drive and a pic in the evening sunshine.

sIaxEFz.jpg

#478 I hate Brian

I hate Brian

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 08:37 AM

great stance 

#479 tankertanker

tankertanker

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 05:58 PM

Looks the bizz

#480 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 03:57 PM

Finally gathered the nerve, took the plunge and started to take the 'new' engine apart. Immediately obvious was the crank was stiff to turn and it turns out that the crank bearings and big end ones as well as the bigger cam one are well and truly shagged. The bores looked OK at first glance but I haven't taken the pistons out yet. Am I right to suspect oil pump failure? I had an issue with the cam oilway plug being wrong but Swiftune said it would be OK to use once I'd relieved the pump drive tang to clear the ballbearing plug that was too close to the pump.

Looks like I should have sent it back at the time! 

TIhwPnd.jpg

Edited by johnR, 27 February 2021 - 05:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users