I am a mini daddy.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,229 posts
  • Local Club: british mini club

Posted 03 May 2016 - 12:54 PM

Also Intrested in a good CB for the mini shows
Dan

The smallest CB on the market, they're pretty good too. http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B00T2FLNXW

I like the look of that ! Does it have a built in speaker ? Or do I need to run it through the stereo ? As my mini van doesn't have one?

Dan

#33 Ellie

Ellie

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish Mini Club

Posted 03 May 2016 - 03:09 PM

IMAG0017_zpsr9xsfexl.jpg

Not the best picture, I'll get a close up later.

#34 Ellie

Ellie

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 03:12 PM

It does have a speaker underneath.
I use a Jack plug to plug it into the front of the stereo.
Surround sound, sort of.

#35 Richie83

Richie83

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 06:10 PM

It does have a speaker underneath.
I use a Jack plug to plug it into the front of the stereo.
Surround sound, sort of.

nice and small. Looks ace.

#36 Spud_133

Spud_133

mmm potato and cheese....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,689 posts
  • Local Club: C&T Classics

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:42 PM

How have people hidden their ariel lead? I just fitted mine, and want a neat solution to finish that off

#37 Scousemouse

Scousemouse

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 09:00 PM

It would be nice to have a 'TMF channel' for MITP for example, so forum members can chat ect. It's technically not illegal, as far as I know, because It's only one way. :shy:

HOW CAN IT BE ONLY "ONE WAY" it's Citizen Band ie 2 way comunication, how do you expect to chat to forum members One way???

And don't forget you'll need to SWAR you CB Set in,Don't buy a kit,unless either the CB unit has a built in SWAR meter,or the"KIT" contains one with a patch lead.

Otherwise when you transmit you'll end up BURNING the guts outta your set.

#38 Artstu

Artstu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 09:10 PM

Also Intrested in a good CB for the mini shows
Dan

The smallest CB on the market, they're pretty good too. http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B00T2FLNXW

I like the look of that ! Does it have a built in speaker ? Or do I need to run it through the stereo ? As my mini van doesn't have one?

Dan

Yes it has its own speaker, and sounds just fine, this video shows it on an extension speaker, but there are quite a few other videos on youtube.

#39 Scousemouse

Scousemouse

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 09:12 PM

How have people hidden their ariel lead? I just fitted mine, and want a neat solution to finish that off

YOU CAN BUY A "discreet" ARIAL THAT LOOKS LIKE ALL THE WORLD LIKE A telescopic CAR RADIO type,AT THE BASE IT HAS 2 LEADS,ONE GOES TO YOUR CAR RADIO the OTHER TO YOUR CB SET.

That way if you've parked up,and out of your car,no one will know you've got something worth robbing.

#40 minifreek1

minifreek1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.O.C

Posted 08 May 2016 - 03:32 PM

It would be nice to have a 'TMF channel' for MITP for example, so forum members can chat ect. It's technically not illegal, as far as I know, because It's only one way. :shy:

HOW CAN IT BE ONLY "ONE WAY" it's Citizen Band ie 2 way comunication, how do you expect to chat to forum members One way???

And don't forget you'll need to SWAR you CB Set in,Don't buy a kit,unless either the CB unit has a built in SWAR meter,or the"KIT" contains one with a patch lead.

Its not SWAR, its SWR and it wont burn the guts out your radio... It'll just not transmit as far, but it can damage if it hasn't been tuned properly... Not hard to do, Youitube will show how its done, but you will need a SWR meter to get it set correctly...

#41 minifreek1

minifreek1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 03:34 PM

IMAG0017_zpsr9xsfexl.jpg

I have 1 of those cupholder things, but can't figure out how to mount the ruddy thing.... any tips..?

#42 Scousemouse

Scousemouse

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 03:53 PM

Its not SWAR, its SWR and it wont burn the guts out your radio... It'll just not transmit as far, but it can damage if it hasn't been tuned properly... Not hard to do, Youitube will show how its done, but you will need a SWR meter to get it set correctly...

If I was talkin to you face to face I'd say you have to SWAR it in...I wouldn't say you have to V. S.W.R. it being a VOLTAGE STANDING WAVE RATIO meter.(blame the printed word + lack of EYE contact heh heh.

Oh by the way If your sets not SWRd in? IT WILL DAMAGE YOUR SET.When you say it does not transmit as far...the reason is because most of what your SENDING out(transmitting) is returning to your set because it's not SWARd in.The returned voltage damages your sets innards...naughty.then bang goes your Output Transistor.

Trust me ..learn by mistakes...preferably other people who've been there and got the t-shirt.

If you buy decent CB set,they have built in swr meters.Those "KITS" that the OPs posted did not show any seperate meters.

Another good tip..get yourself a VOX mike....VOICE OPERATED MIKE...(unless your passenger does all the talkin for ya.)

The cops will still pull YOU over,if your driving and gabbing on it,just like the mobile phone/driving law.

"CUP HOLDER THINGS"  do you mean a CB slidemount?

Edited by Scousemouse, 08 May 2016 - 04:04 PM.

#43 minifreek1

minifreek1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 08:42 PM

SWR is Standing Wave Reflection not ratio....

The cupholder things...... take a look at the picture..... its in the middle of the dashboard with a can of Pepsi stuck in it.....

Scouse, Im a Radio Amateur...... Iv an idea whats what when it comes to radio.... I dont know everything, I dont pretend to know everything, but what I do know I will defend.....

IF a radio or transceiver isn't SWR'd properly, granted - it could cause some damage but it wont exactly blow the thing up, or fry its circuits or melt things.... If it is used constantly with an unbalanced SWR it won't do that much to it..... ALL CB'rs think that if its badly SWR'd it will blow the output chip..... it wont.... but even if it does, theyre not exactly expensive to replace....

Am not arguing with you, please dont get me wrong....

#44 Ellie

Ellie

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 09:04 PM

IMAG0017_zpsr9xsfexl.jpg

I have 1 of those cupholder things, but can't figure out how to mount the ruddy thing.... any tips..?

An old stereo cage. 😋

#45 minifreek1

minifreek1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 05:58 AM

Simple as that....

I shall give it a go in mine :)

Thanks