• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 24 April 2015 - 07:39 PM

I had an interesting drive in a 998 today. But not a Mini 998. It was a Peugeot 108 1.0 which was virtually new. It's the first time I've driven one and I've not driven the similar Toyota Aygo or Citroen C1 either.

It has the Toyota 3-cylinder 998 engine giving about 65 bhp and 70 lb.ft.

0 - 60 mph comes in at about 14 seconds with around 95 mph top speed. It seemed a little reluctant to go from 60 to 80, but that is to be expected.

Suspension had excellent travel for non-motorway roads and road-holding was excellent. It handled very well too with good balance and braking which was maybe slightly over-servo'ed. Bumps in fast corners were easily handled.

Fuel consumption is around 65 mpg, although I doubt I was getting anything like that whilst testing it.

The standard air-con is also super.

It is interesting to compare it to our beloved little classic Mini, with its 998 engine, especially the 998 Cooper which with its 55 bhp could only manage 0 - 60 in around 16+ seconds with a max speed of 85 to 88 mph. Consumption with the 998 Cooper was around 35 mpg. Just think that in 1965 the 998 Cooper was regarded as being a real 'hot set of wheels'.

It is amazing how far vehicle technology with small cars has moved on in 50 years.

I can't say I was sorry to get back in my BMW 3-litre automatic though ;D .

#2 Anthony30

Anthony30

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 24 April 2015 - 08:18 PM

Most modern cars are so boring though. :shy:  The Toyota IQ is a nice little car to drive. :D

#3 robminibcy

robminibcy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 08:29 PM

these modern euro boxes have very optimistic performance I find. Despite what it says on paper a good nick standard 998 will have no trouble keeping up at legal speeds with a modern equivalent! My mini is rather down on power but when I first got it it I would need to lift off going up a slip road following a mates yaris which will have the same engine as the pug. Of course the extra gearing and power will allow the modern one more performance (just!) top end.

#4 bluemini17

bluemini17

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:49 PM

I own said car, and i have to say it was painful going from my previous R32 to this but needs must, house purchase.

I had the tracking set up on the wee pug and i must say, best £30 i have spent in a long while. The wee car purrs round corners with more lane discipline than the larger hot hatches, granted there is limited go go power but its a nifty wee car for the money and mpg.  By far more fun than the clio and ka i once had in my younger years.

The air con is good but when you hit that magic button that provides glorious icy chills the engine goes a bit limp. When you switch the air con off it is somewhat like hitting the turbo range and you get a swift boost of power albeit for 2 seconds. A random car indeed.

#5 Domneon

Domneon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:56 PM

I work at the PSA tech centre so get to drive C1s/108s and they are really good fun to drive. Especially the 1.2 vti ones. I wouldn't have one as they don't suit the miles I do but for shorter journeys they are perfect for a modern car

#6 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 04:00 PM

I had one in Spain last year (an aygo original shape but brand new) I thought it was a bit poop, I wouldn't have swapped the 58 reg micra we had before our bini for one but everyone likes different things I suppose.

#7 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 16 July 2015 - 04:05 PM

The wife has a 1ltr VW HIGHUP 75bhp. 3 cyl and not a bad little car. Will exceed our national speed limit with ease and for something so small quite comfortable. HOWEVER giving it beans it does sound like a maniacal blender gone mad. Average consumption in the high 50's early 60's. At motorway speeds low 50's but then its out of its comfort zone to be honest. 

#8 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 05:05 PM

I was hoping for an UP when I was in spain a few weeks ago to try one out, got a 1.25 fiesta which was ok but a shed which wasn't a fair example of a fiesta to try. Is there much cost difference between the UP and the seat/skoda versions?

#9 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 16 July 2015 - 07:21 PM

I was hoping for an UP when I was in spain a few weeks ago to try one out, got a 1.25 fiesta which was ok but a shed which wasn't a fair example of a fiesta to try. Is there much cost difference between the UP and the seat/skoda versions?

There will be a bit but to be honest they are all the same car. We just happened to get this particular car as the wifes Polo was spitting its dummy out of the cot so we got what i thought was a good trade in. Two free services and a free MOT in Sept. 62 plate 5 door for £8k with 26000 on the clock. There were a lot of cheaper 3 door cars out there but the boss demanded a five door.

#10 Anthony30

Anthony30

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 07:26 PM

Don't bother with any 3 cylinder engine, they really are  :xxx: . :lol:  :D

#11 Domneon

Domneon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 07:31 PM

Not true, the 1.2 3 cylinder turbo that is in the Cactus, 308 etc is a really good engine. 

#12 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 08:53 PM

Thread about a 107 is making me want to try an UP! A Gti version would be nice.

#13 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,776 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:19 AM

Don't bother with any 3 cylinder engine, they really are  :xxx: . :lol:  :D

However most of the road tests (see Autocar mag below) and owner feedback seem to rate the new 3-cylinder F56 MINI Cooper as better than the more expensive and powerful 4-cylinder Cooper S models.....so I think 3-cylinder engines are here to stay.

Quote:-

"The turbocharged 1.5-litre three-cylinder petrol unit is one of four all-new, in-house-developed forced-induction three and four-cylinder engines for the new Mini. It is an absolute belter, serving up the sort of performance and user-friendliness its relatively conservative power output fails to convey on paper.

As fitted here, it produces 134bhp at 4500rpm and 162lb ft at just 1250rpm. The launch range also includes a 94bhp 1.5-litre three-cylinder diesel plus a 189bhp 2.0-litre four-cylinder petrol engine in the Cooper S, the latter being the only unit at launch to increase in capacity.

The new three-pot in the Cooper is a little vocal at start-up, with a deep thrum from the engine and a distant pulsing of the exhaust as you thumb the starter, now among the toggle switches mounted low down on the centre console. However, these qualities are quickly replaced by a more satisfying cacophony as you tip in the revs.

It is a terrifically responsive engine, offering lively pull from little more than 1000rpm all the way to its 6400rpm cut-out. There is a fleeting moment of lag just above idle, but the flexibility and vivacity that follows makes the peaky nature of the four-cylinder engine it replaces seem incredibly old fashioned. The new engine is also delightfully entertaining and boasts a quite extraordinary operating range, giving the Cooper solid acceleration allied to a wonderfully relaxed nature when pulling taller gears. 

It is mated to a new standard six-speed manual gearbox, which boasts shorter travel and more positive feel than the unit it replaces. A further development is the inclusion of automatic rev matching for smoother downshifting 

At 1085kg, the new Cooper has shed 10kg over the old model. This gives an improved power-to-weight ratio that is reflected in an improved 0-62mph time, which drops from 9.1sec to 7.9sec with the six-speed manual gearbox, or an even sharper 7.8sec with the automatic transmission. However, despite the additional performance, combined fuel consumption and CO2 emissions are improved by 17 per cent at a claimed 62.8mpg and 105g/km. 

A further upside to the new engine is a tangible improvement in refinement, providing the Cooper with a quieter and more relaxed nature throughout the rev range. Combined with improved aerodynamic and rolling acoustics, this helps provide it with more endearing qualities for long-distance driving."

http://www.autocar.c...iew/mini/cooper

Edited by mab01uk, 20 July 2015 - 08:21 AM.

#14 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:20 PM

They make the Cooper sound like a very capable little car. With stats like that, I can see it being a very popular choice. 

#15 Anthony30

Anthony30

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:35 PM

With the size and weight of the 'mini' now, it needs a good 2.0 turbo engine to be smooth and quick. I've driven a couple of 3 cylinder cars, and would happily burn them all. :shades:  :lol: Some of them do sound nice though, like a little v6. :shy:   :tumble: The Fiesta Ecoboost thingy is ok to drive, but they do rattle a lot, if you look under the bonnet. >_< If you have a big and heavy car, you need a big engine to power the car, simples. Modern cars are getting far too heavy with all the silly plastic undertrays and safety  :xxx:.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users