#1 Blatherskite

Blatherskite

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Local Club: Norsk Mini Cooper Club

Posted 25 April 2015 - 08:33 AM

I just stripped the old rack from our 67 barn find van, inspected it, bought new rubber boots and reassembled it. Filled up with the approved volume of oil and put to one side awaiting subframe reinstallation. Now the oil is all over the floor, leaked through the boot to rack body join. The boots were supplied with cable ties that I fitted good 'n tight.

Does anyone have a quick fix for the leak? More cable ties, maybe?

Edited by Blatherskite, 25 April 2015 - 08:33 AM.

#2 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 09:19 AM

wonder if they are the plasticy boots , sometimes they don't seal as well as they should

or maybe the slack has pulled up under the ratchet of the tie , leaving a small gap ?

I would cut off the cable tie , fit a new one loosely , bed it in a bit , tighten , bed it in again - see how that works

also squeeze the boot to get any excess air out

maybe fit 2 ties , opposite each other ?

best of luck

#3 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,930 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 25 April 2015 - 09:24 AM

I apply a lick of 'insurance' when fitting the boots, ie some non hardening gasket goo.

The Cable Ties are almost certainly the culprit here though, I really wish they wouldn't give us those with the new boots, even on the CV boots, they are the wrong thing for the job.

The problem with Cable Ties is the angle that the 'loose end' goes through the head of it, instead of being more or less flat, they meet at 900, so it doesn't matter how tight you pull it up, there is always a small gap under that juncture where there is no pressure on the boot and that's where the oil leaks, The bigger the diameter is the worse the problem.

The original metal clips are the best, but no one has them (that I can find), when I strip the racks, I save them have them replated and refit them where I can.

There are Stainless Cable Ties available, these are different to the Nylon ones as the join end on, but getting them tight enough is a bit of a task.

http://www.carbuilde...teel-cable-ties

Tie Wire, while not necessarily atractive works the best next to the original clips.

I also discovered a little while back at CBS 'Flattie' Cable Ties

http://www.carbuilde...e-ties-100-pack

These are a better design for this job, but really only suit the big end of the boot, however, one is not long enough, so you ave to put two together.

The head on them is too long for them to work on the small end, so once again CBS comes to the rescue

http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/fuel-hose-clips-15-17mm  (I think that is the right size).

While they do have Stainless clips also, I wouldn't recommend them. Also, just take a file to the corners of these so that on compression of the boot (ie inboard side of full lock) they don't eventually puncture the boot.

Edited by Moke Spider, 25 April 2015 - 09:26 AM.

#4 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 09:51 AM

problem is cable ties - were designed for cables - but they 'almost' do a lot of other jobs

i like the flat cable ties - wonder if they would do cv joints better , as normal ones scuff the stub housing

moke is right about the angle of the head - it leaves a triangle of slack -

wonder if a bit of flexible plastic under the tie in that area would help keep a bit of tension on the boot ?

#5 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 03:54 PM

what about jubilee clips?

or herbie clamps http://www.ebay.co.u...=item43da694a3d

Edited by alex-95, 25 April 2015 - 04:01 PM.

#6 Blatherskite

Blatherskite

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Local Club: Norsk Mini Cooper Club

Posted 25 April 2015 - 07:09 PM

Thanks for this - I'll get those cable ties off & some jubilees on instead. Didn't think of the 90 degree kink at the ratchet on the tie, just goes to show what you can learn from Minis!.

#7 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,930 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 25 April 2015 - 09:07 PM

Good idea only all the Jubilee clips I've looked at were too wide, but maybe the Herbie's??

#8 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 09:17 PM

Good idea only all the Jubilee clips I've looked at were too wide, but maybe the Herbie's??

Yeah I did think that the jubilee clips would be a bit wide. I may get some of the herbies and see what they're like. If not just put 2 cable tires on, putting the heads in different places, sealing up the little gap.

#9 peter-b

peter-b

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Local Club: still looking

Posted 25 April 2015 - 10:43 PM

I use the cv boot clamps, the original wind up ones. You can get them from Wurth.

#10 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,918 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:25 AM

Halfords are selling packs of steel strip ties .. not sure about quality otherwise there's always fleabay ...

#11 Earwax

Earwax

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 11:04 AM

the insurance used on mine loctite518?permatex    .. but give it time to semi dry .  Something like 2 outers done during daylight hours and left to dry  ,   that evening place rack in vertical position and fill the bottom boot with oil and do the bottom inner joint with the gasket goo, keep upright overnight so oil doesn't touch the gasket, then day 2 tie it up , invert and do the other end.... no leaks and still just enough movement to avoid snagging and tearing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users