26 replies to this topic

#1 redfish0

redfish0

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 07:03 PM

I thought I would start a project thread for my 1980 clubman estate.

Her name is Phillipa. Mainly because of the amount of filler the previous owner has used. :ermm:
The plan is to remove all the rust and filler then weld in any new metal needed. After that, I've got some 12" revolutions and 8.4" discs to fit and then get an arch kit, flip front, interior retrim with new seats and then the turbo diesel conversion. Oh and a respray in there somewhere. I'm planning on doing all of the work myself, including the respray and its the first major project I've ever tried doing :P .

The diesel engine will definately be an isuzu lump from a vauxhall, 1.5 or 1.7. These are actually pretty tunable compared to other diesels out there and about 100bhp should be easy to reach with a handful of mods. The amount of torque these turbo diesels give out, I think its 130-ish Ft-Lbs (1.7, even more) which is more than my crx vtec, in something that weighs almost half. Its going to be fun but I'll still get 50 odd mpg :(

I cant decide on a colour at the moment though. I'm thinking, black, metalic green or honda s2000 silver. A friend thinks I should go for yellow but I'm not sure. Maybe a sun burnt yellow.

Anyway, heres some photo's of the progress so far...
Inspecting, poking and knocking out rust... http://gallery98629....et/c867647.html
Welding work... http://gallery98629....c867647_13.html

#2 markrally

markrally

Z Cars

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts
  • Local Club: Miniaddicts.co.uk

Posted 23 July 2006 - 07:34 PM

No pics on the links????

cheers

#3 minivanman

minivanman

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts
  • Local Club: Backstreet Minis

Posted 23 July 2006 - 10:34 PM

i can see pics. sounds like a very interesting project. have you seen the diesel pick up?

#4 redfish0

redfish0

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 10:50 PM

i can see pics. sounds like a very interesting project. have you seen the diesel pick up?

Pics work for me too. Maybe fotopic was down at the time.
I've seen the diesel pick up I think. Its got the daihatsu engine hasnt it?

#5 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 24 July 2006 - 04:14 PM

have you thought about using a metro diesel ?

it should fit onto a K series front subframe that the v tec boys use

and from what i can remember the later metros used a peugot diesel engine

#6 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 06:25 PM

I think almost all rovers use a peugeot diesel since they're the dogs of deisels.

although a Nice Audi block would be nice!!! mmmmm.

#7 redfish0

redfish0

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 09:15 PM

The metro diesel might be a bit easier but it wouldnt be anywhere near as good as a 1.5 or 1.7 isuzu lump.

#8 minipip

minipip

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • Local Club: TMF SE

Posted 24 July 2006 - 10:30 PM

total custom job and get a skoda D-lump. thts just for dreaming
id say go with the isuzu lumps as by the sounds of it ur getting the performance u want with the BRILLIANT mpg.
did u read on that metro D pickup aparently it didnt move much, it was just good on the mpg.

just my input

#9 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 25 July 2006 - 02:38 PM

The metro diesel might be a bit easier but it wouldnt be anywhere near as good as a 1.5 or 1.7 isuzu lump.

i always thought the french made the best diesel engines

i know my clio and mrs bungles meganes DCI engines go like :geek: and still do big MPG

#10 redfish0

redfish0

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 10:08 AM

Yes a new peugoet turbo diesel would be good too but they are quite new, expensive to get hold of and more complicated to get running (ecu & wiring loom) so thats why I'm picking out the isuzu lump.

#11 sheepo

sheepo

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 26 July 2006 - 10:27 AM

Cool project. You've got to be brave taking on all that, fair play!! :geek:

As for colour scheme, how about hammerite satin black with an A-Team red stripe down the side!! :dozing:

A nice deep burgundy red would probably look smart, maybe with a creamy white roof and interior!! Did you see that Zeemax'd van in one of the mags this month, that's the lines i was thinking along.

as for the oil burner, what's your motivation mate? Something new or do you plan on doing serious miles in her?

#12 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 10:39 AM

I thought I would start a project thread for my 1980 clubman estate.

Her name is Phillipa. Mainly because of the amount of filler the previous owner has used. :o

I think its 130-ish Ft-Lbs (1.7, even more) which is more than my crx vtec, in something that weighs almost half. Its going to be fun but I'll still get 50 odd mpg :dozing:

:geek: at the name! ooo like the sound of that sort of performance and mpg! :xxx:

#13 redfish0

redfish0

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 02:44 PM

as for the oil burner, what's your motivation mate? Something new or do you plan on doing serious miles in her?

Dom hit the nail on the head there. performance and mpg! Of course, there will be the reliability as a bonus too. Not going to do insane miles, only about 14-16k a year probably.

Indead, a burgundy red might be nice with cream. I think that will go on the consideration list thanks.

#14 redfish0

redfish0

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 10:10 PM

Thought I would update project phillipa. No huge, surging progress has been made unfortunately due to being ill or away for a month but I've welded up lots of holes, cut up lots of metal and pretty much done the drivers side underneath. Luckily, someone had put a new floor and inner sill on so I've chopped out the old rusty parts, seam welded things properly and left the new parts in place. I've also moved on to getting under the rear now. Subframe doesnt look bad apart from some surface rust :ermm:

Attached File  P1010049_r.JPG   171.17K   21 downloads
Attached File  P1010050_r.JPG   98K   24 downloads
Attached File  P1010051_r.JPG   104.38K   25 downloads

One question though, the bottom of the sill, should it be seam welded or is it ok to have spot welds?
Also, I'm covering the bottom with por15 and then about 4 layers of hammerite underbody to rust proof. Is there anything better/cheaper or does anyone have any good tips to keep the rust at bay?

#15 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 11:18 PM

If using the narrow sills you can spot weld,
if using the wide (none standard) sills they must be seam welded.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users