#1 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 11:33 AM

Rather pisd off to be honest.

Went today to take a look at the mini and thought i would adjust the rockers. Not only did i not find how to do that in Haynes, but after taking off rocker cover i found mayo, water, and bits of rust (due to that water)!!!

What the hell!? I just replaced the head gasket a week ago and hadnt run it since then except for like 5 minutes...And after cahnging the gasket there was a great improvement in the running of the car, except for a popping sound from exhaust and kinda high idle (i think my manifold gasket wasn't very good). Started within .5 secs of turning key, didnt even need choke.

Is it something to be worried about or is it just random bits of water that might have got in while changing the gasket? I'm POSITIVE that i changed the gasket the right way, eveyrhting was torqued up as required....

:\

Can't afford to change the gasket again :\

#2 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 11:40 AM

You did change the oil at the same time?

I have replied about the tacho by the way.

#3 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 01:16 PM

Only joking, I'm sure you did.

If you changed the gasket correctly, put the new one on the right way up, cleaned the oil system out with a flush agent, and the head and block surfaces are in good condition then you may have a problem.

Are you losing water still? If not this may just be residual water left from before the gasket change which will eventually boil off through the crankcase ventilation system. Just be aware of it. If the mayo hangs around after a couple of hundred miles you have a leak somewhere.

Do you have a heated inlet manifold? That could be leaking water in. But if there was enough water in the charge to emulsify the oil as a result of blow-by I would expect to see hydraulic damage to the engine long before mayonaise in the head.

If everything has been done correctly, and the head nuts were re-torqued after a heat/cool cycle, and the head and block are flat and not scratched, then the only thing I can think of is a cracked head or block I'm afraid. Which is not good news I know, so I will welcome any other Ideas someone may have.

#4 andyps

andyps

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 08:08 PM

It does sound like the gasket is not doing its job properly, and the bad news is that the only way to tell may be to take the head off again.

Have you got mayo in the water too? In which case there is a definite problem - if not, maybe you got water in the rocker cover when changing the head gasket. Best thing to do is to clean it out, run the car again for a while and then check it again - also have a look to see what is happening on the neck of hte dipstick tube. When the gasket has gone this car get mayo in it too which will also be on the dipstick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users