#1 beakerthemuppet2

beakerthemuppet2

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 11:14 AM

hi

Trying to source some new tyres for the hillclimbing mini.

I have been running on 10x6.5 inch split rims fitted with Dunlop slicks which are used in the mini miglia series. But they are rather expensive when bought new especially when you barely get them warmed up!

The tires I have were second hand when I got them and have gone fairly hard over the past year or two. (Though the Dunlop compound is supposedly a bit too hard for hillclimbing to start with anyway).

I am keen to try a cheaper tyre, like the Yoko A032 which come in 165 width as I have spare a set of revolution wheels that are slightly narrower (5.5 or 6 inch I think) but I would really like to hear a few people’s opinions on the Yoko’s and if there are any other options to consider?

Also what are the chances the 165 tyre would stretch to a 6.5 inch rim?

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 15 May 2015 - 12:16 PM

Yes easy.

BUT read your rules and regs fir your class as there is a list of approved tyres.

But I would splash the cash on some Hooziers.

Like night and day to the Miglia hard slicks.

#3 beakerthemuppet2

beakerthemuppet2

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 02:18 PM

thats good, i have never attempted to strech a tyre on a bigger rim and i would much prefer to stick with the 6.5 wheels as the dish is going in the right direction.

i'm running in the Mod-prod class so tyre choice is open

i have looked into the hooziers, got a price for £170 a pop O_O .... but i really fancy a set of those for the next year, im sure the missus will understand ;D . at the moment im just looking for a cheap alternative to see me through till the end of this season as my current tyres are cooked. im also thinking that yoko's might work ok as a wet tyre option to supplement some good slicks in the future. as i hopefully can get away with slicks in all but the very wettest of days.

i love running the 10 inch wheels but wish there was as much choice as the 12 or 13 inch sizes!

#4 mingy

mingy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 06:48 PM

thats good, i have never attempted to strech a tyre on a bigger rim and i would much prefer to stick with the 6.5 wheels as the dish is going in the right direction.

i have looked into the hooziers, got a price for £170 a pop O_O .... but i really fancy a set of those for the next year, im sure the missus will understand ;D . at the moment im just looking for a cheap alternative to see me through till the end of this season as my current tyres are cooked. im also thinking that yoko's might work ok as a wet tyre option to supplement some good slicks in the future. as i hopefully can get away with slicks in all but the very wettest of days.

i love running the 10 inch wheels but wish there was as much choice as the 12 or 13 inch sizes!

Is there a Mod-prod class at Barbon ?, as i usually go and watch every year as i only live down the road.

#5 Helldriver

Helldriver

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 11:33 PM

well, the yoko a032 is the best semi tyre available in 10inch but in real wet weather only usable if you cut them.

See thread here:

http://www.theminifo...ow-to-cut-them/

#6 mk1coopers

mk1coopers

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 08:20 PM

These are also very good (in theory better than the Yoko's) but again they aren't cheap !

http://www.vintagety...--road-race--tl

#7 beakerthemuppet2

beakerthemuppet2

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 08:34 AM

Yeah there is a mod prod class at barbon it’s my local event too, I’m sadly missing the clubman meeting (June the 13th) but should be there for the championship one which is on July the 4th.

Sounds like theres a big argument for and against cutting these Yoko's, probably see how they perform before touching them though, but it’s good to see this sort of stuff.

And those vintage tyres also seem like another option, though they are the same price as the Dunlop full slicks. I think I’m going to get a set of A032’s and just try them out. I am certain they will be more consistent and hopefully grip as well as the tyres I currently have.

#8 Helldriver

Helldriver

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:59 AM

Yeah there is a mod prod class at barbon it’s my local event too, I’m sadly missing the clubman meeting (June the 13th) but should be there for the championship one which is on July the 4th.

Sounds like theres a big argument for and against cutting these Yoko's, probably see how they perform before touching them though, but it’s good to see this sort of stuff.

And those vintage tyres also seem like another option, though they are the same price as the Dunlop full slicks. I think I’m going to get a set of A032’s and just try them out. I am certain they will be more consistent and hopefully grip as well as the tyres I currently have.

cutted yoko a32 is the best value or grip for money in real wet conditions you can get in 10inch, question is if it is allowed to cut them in your class/in general or if not allowed how high the chance is to get caught if you cut them. Depending on this decide if you cut or not.... 

I bought a cheap set a32 with DOT 2010 used once (so nearly full thread depth) and cut them. Will use them on track days...

Edited by Helldriver, 18 May 2015 - 12:01 PM.

#9 beakerthemuppet2

beakerthemuppet2

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 01:50 PM

cutted yoko a32 is the best value or grip for money in real wet conditions you can get in 10inch, question is if it is allowed to cut them in your class/in general or if not allowed how high the chance is to get caught if you cut them. Depending on this decide if you cut or not.... 

I bought a cheap set a32 with DOT 2010 used once (so nearly full thread depth) and cut them. Will use them on track days...

Should be ok, I’m running in modified Production so just about anything goes as far as tyres are concerned.

But cutting is still an option

Still I imagine that these tyres will see more use in the dry than in the wet…. Could go completely the other way and get tread shaved off! Yet more cost though >_<

Mind a good set of tyres in hillclimbing should last many seasons, which I can’t complain about, god knows what it’s like doing something where you really eat up tyres!

#10 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,899 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 01:57 PM

[

Mind a good set of tyres in hillclimbing should last many seasons, which I can’t complain about, god knows what it’s like doing something where you really eat up tyres!

it depends on why you are doing it. to have fun or win.

if having fun then make sure you use the same tyres as the guy in the class who wants to win or is after the class record.

good supply of cheap part worns.

#11 duds100

duds100

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:03 PM

Do we know catagorically that the avon moulded slick is superior in performance to the yoko AO32R in the dry?

Also, can someone post up a link to the hoozier tyre mentioned earlier?

#12 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,899 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:12 PM

Do we know catagorically that the avon moulded slick is superior in performance to the yoko AO32R in the dry?
Also, can someone post up a link to the hoozier tyre mentioned earlier?

Slicks way way superior to any road Yoko. BUT you need to know what compound you need. They will advise.

Talk to Hoosier. And they will supply a suitable tyre.

Hill climb slicks are in a different world to road tyres.

They can over tyre a car easily. But you need to know how why and what.

In hill climbing you want no sliding.

#13 fastcarl

fastcarl

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:16 PM

Hoosier, not Hoozier.

Goolge       " Hoosier tires" then look in the road race section, https://www.hoosiertire.com/rrtire.htm, the top 4-5 tyres are the 10" variants

carl

#14 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,899 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:20 PM

Hoosier, not Hoozier.

Goolge       " Hoosier tires" then look in the road race section, https://www.hoosiertire.com/rrtire.htm, the top 4-5 tyres are the 10" variants

carl

And this man knows his Hoosiers.

#15 Helldriver

Helldriver

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 09:40 PM

Hoosier, not Hoozier.

carl

Bias Tyres? Which size and which compound on a 500kg mini with 7x10 wheels? Nowhere the compounds are explained.

@beakerthemuppet2: shaving of the tread on a yoko a032 is contra productive as I experienced that the yoko looses a lot of traction below 1.6mm thread depth and best grip on tyres till 3mm. Recommend to get a used set cheap and cut them for wet + a new set for dry. If you later switch to slicks you can always use the yoko for wet conditions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users