24 replies to this topic

#1 rgray

rgray

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 09:15 PM

So i bought a 1991 Rover Mini 998cc non runner a couple years back, and have since put a 1275 gt engine in and have got her ready for MOT. However now is the critical decision to make. I bought the car with the intention of getting it running and fully restoring it with a show winning paint job. However over the past few months ive been seriously considering going with the 'rat look' This is a style which always catches my eye and i think is very original.What is you opinion, should i go 'rat' or 'restoration' thanks in advance :) 

Attached Files

#2 hoppus

hoppus

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 09:19 PM

With something looking that clean already... i wouldn't.

#3 Anthony30

Anthony30

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 17 May 2015 - 09:19 PM

Restoration with H4 headlights, uprated headlight loom ect. :shy:

#4 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 09:25 PM

As above it looks to good to go rat look, but it's your choice. I would get rid of those horrible chrome arch covers :X

#5 666junky

666junky

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 09:32 PM

Dont do it as anything you do will be 'forced'.. save the nice one and buy a shagged old shell, restore that and leave it in primer with unfinished welds etc. Alot of people are going round calling their cars 'rat' and they are nothing more than a rusty bonnet and stuff slapped on straight out of a packet.

#6 rgray

rgray

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 09:45 PM

Dont do it as anything you do will be 'forced'.. save the nice one and buy a shagged old shell, restore that and leave it in primer with unfinished welds etc. Alot of people are going round calling their cars 'rat' and they are nothing more than a rusty bonnet and stuff slapped on straight out of a packet.

With something looking that clean already... i wouldn't.

As above it looks to good to go rat look, but it's your choice. I would get rid of those horrible chrome arch covers :X

sorry, i should have said, that is the 2 styles that i will be aiming for, one fully restored and one rat. Here is mine as it sits, anything but perfect

Attached Files

• Attached File  op.JPG   25.58K   38 downloads
  • Attached File  yh.JPG   125.6K   42 downloads

#7 Chris1992

Chris1992

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 12:55 AM

i think most people will tell you to go original and sensible (boring) ... but its your car so go nuts man. i love rat look, but only when its done properly. as 666junky said, a rusty bonnet and some stickers wont cut it. the one you posted looks the dogs danglies imo

#8 Pidge

Pidge

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Local Club: Not a clue.

Posted 31 May 2015 - 02:30 PM

I agree, yours looks really nice already. I do like the rat look but like a standard mini more.

#9 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 05:51 PM

For me, and this is only an opinion, that car is too tidy to turn rat look. Best start with something less clean.  I agree with some of the guys above re rat look, there is a lot of sheds around that people are claiming are rat look, when in fact they're just rough. Rat look takes effort and style to get right, it's not about running a shed.

#10 Furyan

Furyan

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 05:56 PM

Also consider who will buy it from you in a few years time if you want or need to sell it. A nice standard clean mini will be worth something if todays prices and interest in old cars continues. A "ratted" mini will have a limited appeal to potential buyers. Worth considering before you do it, but its your car.

#11 666junky

666junky

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 06:37 PM

Ahem.. i think youve got it the wrong way round.. true 'rat' (if that is even a term) is a sheddy car that mechanically runs fine, just looks tatty (often with quite an upgraded engine)... this is from the age of ratrods. It isnt a car that takes effort and style..its age/ repairs and useage makes a car truely 'rat' ( i hate that term to be honest!)

#12 Down&Out

Down&Out

The King Of Retro Cool

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 07:17 PM

To answer the title, no.

You'll look ridiculous, people will think you're ridiculous, you'll ruin a perfectly decent car.

People strive for a car half as clean as yours, why turn it into a turd.

#13 feybrand

feybrand

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 08:52 PM

Car modding is about current trends and fashions and the rat look has been in vogue a while personally I think its done to death and is near its end fashion wise,so I'd look for what you think will be the next fad or what you think is cool and sod the trends and what others are doing

That said if your set on the rat look then go ahead just remember you might need to put it back someday so avoid anything too permenant...and of course try to put your own spin on it ...do sum at different.

#14 SuperDeLuxeNick

SuperDeLuxeNick

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • Local Club: Midweek Minis Portsmouth

Posted 31 May 2015 - 08:56 PM

no

#15 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 09:23 PM

Ahem.. i think youve got it the wrong way round.. true 'rat' (if that is even a term) is a sheddy car that mechanically runs fine, just looks tatty (often with quite an upgraded engine)... this is from the age of ratrods. It isnt a car that takes effort and style..its age/ repairs and useage makes a car truely 'rat' ( i hate that term to be honest!)

This is exactly what I was getting at Junky, just not worded quite correctly but I totally agree. My point was a rat car is not a *******, it's as you describe. Rat look is as overused on auction sites as barn find  to make shitters sell or sound interesting. A neglected car is not rat, it's just neglected. My point re effort was more to do with setting off to create the rat look from a car that doesn't fit your description, but make it look right takes effort in getting the style right and maintaining the car correctly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users