Photo

S/c 998 Mini, Cant Find My Answer On Prev Posts..

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bmt216a

bmt216a

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Local Club: Mini's of Tiverton

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:29 AM

Hello,

Been thinking for a while now about fitting a S/C to my 1988 Red Hot.  Basically done a nut and bolt rebuild to my Red Hot a few years ago.  Its got to be one of the best examples on the road.  I decided to keep the standard look with subtle cosmetic upgrades, so if I sold it, it can easily be reverted to a completely standard look.  

During the resto, the engine came out as the engine bay was painted etc, whilst out I changed the cam to an SW5-07 in view that once the engine was back in, I could just change the head so I would be left with a nice little punchy 998 engine.

Anyway since been on the road and living in Devon, although not changed the head yet, it's still a sluggish 27 year old mini.  I went to London to Brighton yesterday, spoke to folk with S/C and looking at how its done, it was recommended to get a kit from vmaxscart, who even better had a stand down there.  So I spoke to the chap on the stand and advised me to fit a ( i think ) 12G295 cooper head which he has upgraged to give me the correct CR, hif38 carb along with his Eaton45 kit.  He advised me I should get 95bhp once fitted.  

My question is, 95bhp sounds good in a mini, but what will it feel like, and would I be impressed after parting a ballpark fig of 2k.

Last question, how would it affect the value of my car?  Am I better just fitting an upgraded head, to keep it a purist car, or would it be more appealing to Jo Blog if I sold the car with a S/C fitted.

Thanks

Ian 

#2 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 12:12 PM

what are you getting out of the £2k first?

#3 bmt216a

bmt216a

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Local Club: Mini's of Tiverton

Posted 18 May 2015 - 01:02 PM

He said the head would be about 650 which has been ported gas flowed larger valves etc. His SC kits are from £1200

#4 Nick Warwick

Nick Warwick

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts
  • Local Club: Sheffield mini club

Posted 20 May 2015 - 02:56 PM

You can pick up the kits pretty cheap on ebay when they pop up. Also the head you could possibly save some money by getting someone else to do it like TurboPhil or BENROSS. I know Stuart at Vmax knows his stuff but can be a little expensive i think.

#5 Grahamxx

Grahamxx

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 06:32 PM

Not sure you'd getting 95bhp from a 998 engine, perhaps at the flywheel, but not at the wheels

Graham

#6 Noble Savage

Noble Savage

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 03:19 AM

Also, from my experience, you would have to get programmable ignition to take full advantage of the SC. I have tried to run it with a distributor, didn't go well.

Now going fuel injection for this very reason. The EVO140 kit from Vmax is very good, but lacks this important aspect.

#7 JakeJakeJake

JakeJakeJake

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 08:24 PM

standard 12g295 head and a t2 turbo is good for 90bhp, a lot cheaper as well.

http://www.turbo-mini.com/62147.html

#8 OfMini&Men

OfMini&Men

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 09:53 PM

the m45 is to big for a 998 engine unless you put on a pulley slightly smaller than the crank pulley

#9 matty...

matty...

Super Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Local Club: Turbominis

Posted 10 June 2015 - 09:10 AM

I second the opinion of the turbo route. 95bhp is easily achievable under £2000 on a 998 setup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users