#32 JewSkii

JewSkii

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Local Club: Looking For One

Posted 25 May 2015 - 10:23 PM

WOW that video make me think twice about buying a convertible.

#33 jamesmpi

jamesmpi

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts
  • Local Club: Abingdon Mini Owners Club

Posted 26 May 2015 - 07:18 AM

It just shows how cars that we consider "modern" when compared to a mini, really aren't that safe in certain crash situations.

But then again even convertibles built today still have their flaws. Look at this video (in German) from NCAP showing x4 new convertibles from Peugeot, Vauxhall, Renault etc

Even these deform around the windscreen in a roll over. Also shows how the force rips the rear wheel clean off!

#34 montyc

montyc

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 09:17 AM

Rolling cars insnt a good idea then really, convertible or not.

For anyone interested, here is my replacement, let me know what you think (sadly not a mini)

http://www.theminifo...ni-replacement/

#35 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 02:03 PM

Wow, nasty, just found this.

#36 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 26 January 2017 - 05:30 PM

a 40 mph impact or roll in any car is going to create massive damage, and remember when it goes wrong 40mph is fast!!!!!

#37 mk1coopers

mk1coopers

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:46 PM

This is part of the reason I don't run a Mini as a day to day car anymore and I'm updating my daily car, my Wife is right, I've got to think of my son who could get hurt in an older car, sadly this is also part of the reason we are all driving bigger and bigger cars, i.e because everyone else is, I was behind some sort of Kia SUV today and it was nearly as wide as the road !

Glad you were OK

Edited by mk1coopers, 26 January 2017 - 09:48 PM.

#38 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 27 January 2017 - 06:06 PM

Always remember, a classic Mini was designed almost 60 years ago and the levels of crash-worthiness reflects that. Compared to other cars of the late 1950's it was no better nor worse than almost everything else available then.

However, a high-impact roll will cause a lot of damage to even a new car, but probably not as much as with a Mini.

It's something you have to accept if you decide to drive a classic car of any type really, especially a car from the same era. Think how much more unsafe it would be to roll, say, a 1938 Ford 8 or a 1929 Austin 7.

#39 mk1coopers

mk1coopers

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 07:35 AM

We have a big German saloon car for everyday use, as you do Peter, we are lucky, as you are, in that we can choose not to use the 'fun' cars as every day transport. I have no issue driving Mini's or anything else, in fact I have cars that are that old they don't require belts and I've chosen not to retro fit them as that's how they have always been, this might been seen as extreamly stupid buy some people, other cars have roll cages however they have proper 4 point harnesses and the correct seats to go with them, but no matter what you are doing in life there will always be a element of risk, it's all about what you personally feel comfortable with, we might be happy doing 80 or 100 mph between the trees at Wiscombe, or being flat out round Goodwood, others are not, so inbetween (what others would probably consider 'mad' hobbies) it's a win for the everyday transport filled with air bags and deformable crash protection for me :-)

#40 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 28 January 2017 - 10:52 AM

Yes, life consists of risks and every one of us needs to assess those risks and either accept or reject them.

if one wants the retro pleasure of driving a classic car, then that implied risk has to be accepted. Like you, my Minis are of an age which does not require them to have seat belts, although my rally car has to have a cage and full-harness belts. I accept the risks for the pleasure it gives.

I fly a classic sailplane (a Schleicher Ka6CR for those who might know what that is - G-DDEV) and in a crash it would not be as strong as a more modern glas-fibre sailplane, but it flies well and is a true classic of the air which is one reason I love it. I know and accept the implied added risk and if it worried me I would buy into newer glass-fibre technology.

Very few people wish to drive a classic every day, mainly because they do tend to be lees practical or comfortable.

#41 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 28 January 2017 - 12:04 PM

...and also because they value it more and want it to last.

Mini = Sunday best, Corsa etc. = boiler suit.

#42 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 03:20 PM

Here's another one, 

Does this look like it's had a new rear bottom panel ? badly welded in ?

Attached File  s-l1600.jpg   43.8K   64 downloads

#43 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 07:43 PM

I know people want to protect their children/grandchildren but there's a picture of me some where waving from the back seat of a Lancia Fulvia my grandad had, the smile on my face and the garage full of tools I have now stems back to that day probably.

#44 cooper1275

cooper1275

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Local Club: none but will get around to it

Posted 03 February 2017 - 11:18 PM

Wow, You are lucky!

Scary to see how fragile they are....

#45 montyc

montyc

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 12:31 PM

Just logged on after a while of being away.

My ofshoot from this crash has been a change of career path, moving from infanteer to air corps. Not all bad really.

Health wise im pretty fine. Still have a bad back and my ribs arent in the right place which means i constantly have to have a physio pull my top ribs down as they pinch the nerves going to my right arm.

I still love minis, i am due to be posted abroad either to cyprus or brunei fairly soon so me and the wife decided that while we are abroad we will save for another mini. I loved my 998, nothing special but i want another mini!

It will be used fairly often but not as a daily driver, not like the one i crashed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users