12 replies to this topic

#1 duds100

duds100

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 07:16 PM

Highlights of me in my fwd R1 mini going round Mallory Park yesterday. Short but challenging circuit, mini was loads of fun!

#2 mini-auto

mini-auto

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 08:38 AM

I can imagine the boys in the "fast" cars looking in their mirrors & thinking "What the ..."

Pushing on a bit, looking again & thinking "$%£&" !!!!

#3 Noble Savage

Noble Savage

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 09:51 AM

Amazing. Stunning. Don't know where to begin.

First off you drive really really well. And you know your car very well.

But the most impressive aspect of this video in my view is how well the car is sorted and set up. Unbelievable.

This is what I always wanted from a mini. Hope my car would someday handle like this.

In the long right hander you floored it so much earlier than the others, and the car just keeps on neutral.

The best mini film I had seen.

#4 Helldriver

Helldriver

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 09:54 PM

Amazing. Stunning. Don't know where to begin.

First off you drive really really well. And you know your car very well.

But the most impressive aspect of this video in my view is how well the car is sorted and set up. Unbelievable.

This is what I always wanted from a mini. Hope my car would someday handle like this.

In the long right hander you floored it so much earlier than the others, and the car just keeps on neutral.

The best mini film I had seen.

True very good driving skills.

The 80 till 100kg less on the front of the R1 compared to the heavy iron-A-Series+ the engine sits lower gives the R1 mini a great balance and around 500kg total weight, that helps a lot....

And regarding the long right hander: the r1 is FWD with a ATB limited diff, so you need to floor your pedal much earlier (shortly before the bend of the curve) if you want to be really fast so it pulls you through the curve. That combined with the low total weight and wheels on the outer edges of the car makes this little shoe box so fast with a good driver like duds....

Do that on the RWD (the others were mostly RWDs) and you perform a drift challenge....looks fancy but is not fast....

@Duds: looks like the additional water cooler did a good job and kept water temps low.

Edited by Helldriver, 23 May 2015 - 10:14 PM.

#5 duds100

duds100

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 10:40 PM

@noble savage wow thanks for the kind words, I actually got a buzz from reading that - i'm flattered! I've put a lot of effort into making the car handle the way I want it too & it's pretty well dialled in now. @helldriver Mine is 545kg with me in it and with 10L fuel. It also has a tran-x plate type LSD. Yeah second front rad worked a treat, highest temp I saw was when battling that Yellow elise on slicks, but still only 92deg and oil temps below 95 all day. - I have a 13-row oil cooler fitted but not directly in the airflow.

Edited by duds100, 23 May 2015 - 10:44 PM.

#6 Helldriver

Helldriver

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 12:10 AM

@noble savage wow thanks for the kind words, I actually got a buzz from reading that - i'm flattered! I've put a lot of effort into making the car handle the way I want it too & it's pretty well dialled in now. @helldriver Mine is 545kg with me in it and with 10L fuel. It also has a tran-x plate type LSD. Yeah second front rad worked a treat, highest temp I saw was when battling that Yellow elise on slicks, but still only 92deg and oil temps below 95 all day. - I have a 13-row oil cooler fitted but not directly in the airflow.

what was your reason to fit a tran-x plate type LSD (clutch based)  instead of the ATB Quaife (gear based) that is offered as "standard" option by promotive? 

#7 duds100

duds100

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 08:27 AM

I prefer the more aggressive, quicker reacting and repeatable operation of a clutch type LSD. Also, it remains locked if a front wheel is lifted from the ground.

#8 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 08:48 AM

Although the car is obviously quick, I think it's as much about driver ability as the car.

Track position is good into all the corners, there's a massive awareness of what's around etc.

I would've loved to have been able to hear what the Lotus driver was saying when a hooligan in a mini started pushing him down the track.

I've been on track days where there have been some proper idiots with all the gear and no idea, you're quite a respectful driver.

#9 duds100

duds100

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 09:46 AM

@carlos thanks chap. It was quite a fine balance between being too agressive & showing to much respect. My little 1.0 mini is all about carrying momentum and taking as much of it as I can out of the corners. I just had to learn how much of a gap to leave and then when to wind on the throttle in an attempt to slingshot past - by the end of the day I'd got it pretty much sussed, I totally nailed the elise out of Gerrards & it felt awesome!!

#10 Baldspeed Racing

Baldspeed Racing

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 02:04 PM

Did your bumper stay in take this time dude ;)

#11 duds100

duds100

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 12:56 PM

Did your bumper stay in take this time dude ;)

Haha! yeah I did this time - must not have been trying hard enough!

#12 DEPS

DEPS

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Local Club: Carlton & District Motor Club

Posted 29 May 2015 - 11:59 AM

Absolutely fantastic (car and driver). Great to see a mini going past so many supposedly quicker and more modern machines!!

Would love to see some more pictures of the car.

#13 duds100

duds100

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:48 PM

Cheers Deps. It's all about being the underdog! I'll start a build thread one of these days. Heading to Rockingham on the 21st so hopefully get a few overtakes in there too 👍

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users