Photo

American Racer 10" Bias-Ply Racing Tire, Anyone Experience With It?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Helldriver

Helldriver

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 11:48 PM

I found by random this American Racer 10" Bias-Ply Racing Tire

http://www.classicmo...021/9438090.htm

Anyone some experience with it?

Sounds like a good alternative to the a032 or Avon 6zz, true??

Edited by Helldriver, 23 May 2015 - 11:50 PM.

#2 fastcarl

fastcarl

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 01:46 PM

At 18" tall these will be to small for a mini and were designed for f500 or FS cars, or maybe the small midget racing  cars .but  even at $139  they will end up at least £600 a set once they have  reached you from the states,

carl

#3 Helldriver

Helldriver

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 09:42 PM

Aussi guys tried it as an alternative to the Dunlop slicks but on a 600+kg mini and high temperatures. It work well due to them with lots of grip and only overheating on very hot days. They are softer then the Dunlop.

F500 or midgets are around 400-450kg, my pro Motive R1 is around 500kg compared to 600kg with an a-series race mini. The f500'reaches 2 g-force or even more. Taken this into account the tyre should be able to cope with the extra 50kg of the r1 mini.
I could adapt the smaller tyre by using just a different sprocket, so gearing is right and will also help to reduce rotating masses to support low torque of the R1 engine.
That's theory and Aussie climate, anyone tried them here in Europe?

It is more a question of an alternative that is a bit softer then the hard compound on an Dunlop 10" as the lighter r1 minis have problems to warm up the hard compound on colder days and to have a 10" that has more grip then the yoko 032. Selection is small in 10inch and a tyre between yoko and Dunlop would be good for bec minis.
Price is second but still significantly cheaper then a Dunlop slick shipped to Switzerland, shipping costs from UK or US to Switzerland not a big difference anymore.

Edited by Helldriver, 24 May 2015 - 09:49 PM.

#4 duds100

duds100

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 06:45 AM

I think the other alternatives have got to be that Avon moulded road legal slick (CR6ZZ i think) or the Hoosier road race bias slick. Max temp I saw on my pyrometer on my A032r's at Mallory was 76deg centigrade i'm pretty sure my lightweight car would not get a dunlop slick warm & I think anything more than a 6" wide treas would over tyre it too. I think i'm going to try the avons next, stiffer sidewall should help too.

#5 Helldriver

Helldriver

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 07:31 PM

I think the other alternatives have got to be that Avon moulded road legal slick (CR6ZZ i think) or the Hoosier road race bias slick. Max temp I saw on my pyrometer on my A032r's at Mallory was 76deg centigrade i'm pretty sure my lightweight car would not get a dunlop slick warm & I think anything more than a 6" wide treas would over tyre it too. I think i'm going to try the avons next, stiffer sidewall should help too.

stiffer sidewall doesn't help at all as the tyre does less work means it heats up less....

stiffer sidewall and a soft compound would be ideal....

Jon from Lynx is running on 7x10 Miglia spec and dunlop slick and told me no problem to get them warm.

Think 7x10 should be still ok as your tyre is 165/70 semi oder 160/490 slick anyhow so if rim is 6x10 or 7x10 doesn't change the contact surface of the tyre significantly (a bit on the slick). Stretching of semi will reduce tyre sidewall movement a bit.

Having metro brakes and 7x13 ET 10 at the moment, think I will try the soft compound Kumho semi-Slick in 13" first, which you can cut and have a great wet slick too. Wanted to go 10" but would need to change brakes, rims and then tyre selection is very small plus it seems beside yoko 032 there is no really fitting tyre for R1 mini but real go-cart feeling is only on 10". I am in a dilemma....

Hoped the 10" american slick solves all this as in theory for light weighted cars, soft compound=warm+grip and smaller diameter means less rotating mass (significant advantage with the low torque of R1) and acceptable price. If I would be on 10" , I would try it but converting+trying is too much money.

Edited by Helldriver, 28 May 2015 - 07:35 PM.

#6 duds100

duds100

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 08:09 PM

I want a stiffer sidewall as I am getting too much movement on my 32Rs with 23psi in. Running more pressure reduces the amount the sidewall deflects but domes the tyre and the centre line becomes hot and I find the car torque steers & scrambles for grip.

I'm going for the Avons next. Reason being they are a soft compound with an arguably higher cornering mu capability than the yoko & have a desirably stiffer sidewall.

Jon'a car is an ex Miglia car which has a 660kg minimum weight. He is probably under this now with the R1 up front but I would say still 20% heavier than mine so I am still a little tentative on using a hard dunlop slick. Also I don't want to run anything wider than a 6" rim as I really like the driveability of the car on the current contact patch size. Also with only 70lb ft torque a 7" wide slick will probably hurt it a bit on accel & maybe a bit overkill. Plus I don't want to run Miglia arches either. Not the look I want and also the hurt the already poor aerodynamics too by increasing frontal area.

I'm running 10x6 et51. I wanted to keep the scrub radius to a minumum as I find it helps with the car keeping in a straight line under full throttle straight steering.

Hopefully going to go back to Mallory to back-to-back the avons with the yokos. Best was a 54.99sec on the yokos so we shall see...

I'd think carfully about running 13s as i've found it really changes the mini's dynamics. More grip and bigger brakes but the chassis adjustability is not as good or accessible in my opinion.

Edited by duds100, 28 May 2015 - 08:11 PM.

#7 rww

rww

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 08:24 PM

When we were sprinting our 1380 Mini about 5 years ago we were able to order from Dunlop / HP Tyres,  Miglia slicks in the 'wet' compound which was the softest compound available  They were supplied to us before the wet tread pattern was cut. Certainly the best tyre option we were aware of at the time and possibly still available today.

#8 Helldriver

Helldriver

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 09:22 PM

When we were sprinting our 1380 Mini about 5 years ago we were able to order from Dunlop / HP Tyres,  Miglia slicks in the 'wet' compound which was the softest compound available  They were supplied to us before the wet tread pattern was cut. Certainly the best tyre option we were aware of at the time and possibly still available today.

Thank you.

sent request to HP if this is still possible, would solve my dilemma... 

#9 Helldriver

Helldriver

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 09:44 PM

.Also I don't want to run anything wider than a 6" rim as I really like the driveability of the car on the current contact patch size. Also with only 70lb ft torque a 7" wide slick will probably hurt it a bit on accel & maybe a bit overkill. 

I'm running 10x6 et51. I wanted to keep the scrub radius to a minumum as I find it helps with the car keeping in a straight line under full throttle straight steering.

contact patch size won't change if you have 6x10 or 7x10 when the tyre stays the same.

10x6 ET 51, is ET51 correct? must be very tight with a yoko a032, assume won't work with 160/490 dunlop slicks (wet or dry)

Yes minimum scrub radius versus tyre patch size is also my 2nd dilemma...

Edited by Helldriver, 28 May 2015 - 09:46 PM.

#10 duds100

duds100

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 05:57 AM

Yes I understand contact patch will not change, I mean running a wider rim opens up the use of wider tyres which I don't want to do.

Just checked my wheel offset calcs and its 25.4 not 51! 2" outer dish and "4 inner. Clearance is fine.

#11 Helldriver

Helldriver

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 06:57 PM

bad news from dunlop regarding the uncut 10" wet slicks:

"Thanks for the enquiry I am sorry that it has taken so long to get back to you. The tyres for the mini miglia championship are at the moment only reserved for them as soon as the new batch is made which will hopefully be at the end of the month then I can look at supplying other cars in other championships. There is no plan to make any wets at the moment so there will be no chance of any un cut tyres to help you get the tyres warmed up quicker so you will have to make do with the front compound.

I am sorry that I couldn’t be of more help this time but if you are still interested in the hard compound tyre then let me know at the end of the month."

looks like I am gonna try my 13" rims with soft avon slicks or soft-medium semi Slick Kumho V700 in this case.

#12 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,900 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 12 June 2015 - 08:26 PM

One problem with 13s is that you can generate too much grip and you roll the car.

That is what is good about Minis on 10s.

#13 Helldriver

Helldriver

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 09:29 PM

One problem with 13s is that you can generate too much grip and you roll the car.

That is what is good about Minis on 10s.

true and the true gokart feeling plus better look too. That is why I would prefer 10" too and this is my dilemma but as duds mentioned even the yoko on 10" is hard to warm up on his car and generate too less grip or in colder wether even very hard with the lightweight front...

Yoko A0032 to less grip, Hard compound dunlop miglia questionable too so only alternative in 10" would be the Avon nzz06 or maybe hoosier which need to be shipped from US to switzerland....but not sure if they work too.

Problem is I have metro brakes, stainless brakes lines for metro and 7x13 ET10 rims now as the car was a former german BTC (=UK Miglia) and just for testing purposes buy a nzz06 or hoosier 10" + force racing 10" rims+ new brakes+new brakelines is a bit too expensive. If I would know that a 10" tyre works 95 to 100% on the R1 Mini then I would swap to 10".

That is why I seams more reasonable to me to try 13" soft/medium semi Kumho so I hope this is not too much grip and if its even too less or too much then they are very good as wet slicks too if I cut them. if too much then I can use medium or medium hard compound in dry conditions but with 10" I have no options anymore f they don't fit...

Edited by Helldriver, 12 June 2015 - 09:41 PM.

#14 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,900 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 12 June 2015 - 09:51 PM

We used to get the Hoosiers from somewhere in the UK which might be easier for you.

What you going to be using the car for?

#15 Helldriver

Helldriver

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 11:58 PM

We used to get the Hoosiers from somewhere in the UK which might be easier for you.

What you going to be using the car for?

pure track tool:

track days, german NAVC and DAM circuit races, DMV oldtimer championship (possible with a different/not original engine) and some swiss "slaloms" (the 2 till 3 I will do are more one round circuit races with some gates to legally get around the ban of circuit racing in switzerland, not focus but cheap and around the corner). All just for fun.

Mini's weight is 500kg...

Edited by Helldriver, 13 June 2015 - 12:04 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users