Photo
- - - - -

Adjustable Or Non-Adjustable Suspension?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bob540

bob540

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 10:15 PM

I'm about to put in an order for suspension parts and I'm trying to decide whether to go for adjustable dampers or not. I'm inclined to go for non-adjustable ones as I'm quite happy with the ride height I currently have on stock dampers and I figure the hi-lo's will give me any slight adjustments room that I might want or need. I don't drive hard at all. What do you guys think? I was thinking of getting this kit from minispares http://www.minispare...c/MSSK3004.aspx anyone know if it's any good? The write-up is very positive but I've never heard anyone mention them before.

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 24 May 2015 - 10:22 PM

Well you are mixing things up.

Shocks have no bearing on height. The adjustable is in the dampening.you can make it faster or slower.

Yes hi lows can be used to adjust ride height (or correct it) but should be used with some form of adjustable bottom arms and tie are to allow you to correct the geometry.

So what are you considering!

#3 bob540

bob540

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 10:38 PM

Every day is a learning day! Well I just want to keep the car stock height but as far as I can see only adjustable cones are available?

#4 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 24 May 2015 - 11:06 PM

Every day is a learning day! Well I just want to keep the car stock height but as far as I can see only adjustable cones are available?

Ok so now we have changed from dampers to cones! What ever they might be.

The rubber donuts! They are not adjustable. But do come in a number of flavours.

The trumpets? They come in standard and adjustable flavours.

#5 bob540

bob540

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 11:24 PM

The rubber donuts! They are not adjustable. But do come in a number of flavours.

http://www.minispare...LO.aspx|Back to they're called cones there but yes I suppose I should be calling them trumpets (blame mini spares for that). Now I'm not the brightest bulb on the shelf but even I can tell that a rubber cone isn't adjustable! For the rubber cones I'm just going with genuine replacements. Only just spotted the standard trumpets there now so I suppose the question now is should I bother with hi-lo's at all if I'm happy with standard ride height? But is the ride height I have now actually standard or will I find that it's higher once I replace everything due to sagging rubber cones and will I wish then that I had bought adjustable trumpets?

#6 peter-b

peter-b

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Local Club: still looking

Posted 24 May 2015 - 11:46 PM

I suggest you grab the first kit you linked to. It'll allow you to adjust the height to the desired one and also readjust it as the rubber bit (not getting into this one) settles in. Just good non adjustable shocks are fine, that's how they were new so should give good ride and handling without having to fiddle with adjustments. Put all the bits in and get the F&R alignment checked, then go from there as to whether anything else is required. :-)

#7 bob540

bob540

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 11:50 PM

I suggest you grab the first kit you linked to. It'll allow you to adjust the height to the desired one and also readjust it as the rubber bit (not getting into this one) settles in. Just good non adjustable shocks are fine, that's how they were new so should give good ride and handling without having to fiddle with adjustments. Put all the bits in and get the F&R alignment checked, then go from there as to whether anything else is required. :-)

Sounds like a plan, thanks mate :)

#8 Anthony30

Anthony30

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 24 May 2015 - 11:55 PM

http://www.minispare...LO.aspx|Back to they're called cones there but yes I suppose I should be calling them trumpets (blame mini spares for that). Now I'm not the brightest bulb on the shelf but even I can tell that a rubber cone isn't adjustable! For the rubber cones I'm just going with genuine replacements. Only just spotted the standard trumpets there now so I suppose the question now is should I bother with hi-lo's at all if I'm happy with standard ride height? But is the ride height I have now actually standard or will I find that it's higher once I replace everything due to sagging rubber cones and will I wish then that I had bought adjustable trumpets?

Go for some good quality adjustable items to set the ride height exactly the same at all four corners. :highfive:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users