6 replies to this topic

#1 DFulton

DFulton

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 11:16 PM

So I give the mini an oil and filter change.  Drained off the sump then moved on to my least favourite part, the oil filter.

<As an aside, does anyone know a good way to remove these without making a right mess?  I virtually always have to flip it briefly upside-down when getting it out>

Anyway, I've got the drain can ready and undo the oil filter, only to see a couple of drips run down the front of the engine and then nothing.

On the plus side, it was the cleanest service I've ever done, but should I be concerned by this?

The filter certainly feels heavier than the replacement one, so maybe there's oil in there, but nothing leaks out when I tip it up.

The only other difference I can think of is that I normally warm the engine up before I do this job.  On this occasion, I serviced it cold and hadn't fired it up for nearly a week.  Is it possible that being parked that long would have emptied the filter?

#2 peter-b

peter-b

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Local Club: still looking

Posted 24 May 2015 - 11:56 PM

Firstly there is a way to change filter without getting oil all over yourself.....get someone else to do it.
Normally you warm the motor up before draining as the thin oil runs out better. It's possible but only my theory, that the oil was cold and thick and stayed in filter. I'm a mechanic by trade and probably change oil and filter on about 20 cars a week, some it runs out everywhere and some 'appear' empty, never really gave it a thought.
Just make sure the OP light goes off OK.

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 25 May 2015 - 12:14 AM

There are filters that are positioned on the block "upside down" I would expect these to self close when removed as you don't want old oil everywhere.

#4 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 25 May 2015 - 12:20 AM

Some oil filters have anti-drain valves built in.  They are primarily used on those upside-down installations.  If you look at the base of the filter and see a black rubber or red silicone rubber (better) disk through the holes, that is an anti-drain valve.  I will post a picture of one below (not my picture... just found online).

The easiest way to make changing the oil clean is to install "grille-buttons" so you can quickly and easily take the car's grille off.  That will allow you to remove the filter and in most cases pass it out the front of the car without flipping it over..

filter1.jpg

#5 DFulton

DFulton

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 07:03 AM

Thanks all. I'll have a look to see if there's an anti-drain valve later. The oil light is behaving normally so I guess it's nothing to worry about.

If it turns out to be an anti-drain valve that's done it, I'll be buying that brand again and keeping the garage clean!

#6 L400RAS

L400RAS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts
  • Local Club: Lincolnshire Mini Owners Club

Posted 25 May 2015 - 07:30 AM

@DFulton - is your car a late MPi ?   appears so from your photo.   If yes, the filter on the Mpi block is mounted in a different place, almost pointing downwards anyway, ie half draining it everytime you switch off. 

To change: reposition the top hose,unscrew from the face of the block, and you can get the filter the right way up, before removing it from the engine bay.   Fitting the new filter, smear the rubber seal with engine oil as usual, however on these, you cannot pre-fill the filter, as it will run out when trying to install.

Removing the grille / fitting grille buttons does not benefit, as best access is from above on late cars (I bet dklawson hasn't seen any / many MPi blocks - living in the states).

R.

Edit:  Just read your profile: "Drives - Mpi Cooper"

Edited by L400RAS, 25 May 2015 - 07:34 AM.

#7 DFulton

DFulton

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 07:42 AM

Yes, it is a late MPi. I'd heard about removing the grille and didn't really feel it helped much - probably due to the front radiator adding to the general pipe work in the way.

Just got concerned as it normally leaks oil everywhere! Thanks for all the tips.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users