#1 CoenZ

CoenZ

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 02:25 PM

Hi all,

Hope anyone can help me with this. When driving my mini i keep on having issues with vibrations on higher speed (above 55/60 mph). The car handles fine and the wheel are balanced 100% ok (had that done this morning). Anyone?

Thx, Coen

#2 ZCars Steve

ZCars Steve

Z Cars

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:05 AM

Hi Coen

could you give a little more information

does vibrate only under acceleration or only off power, or both ?

does pressing the clutch make a difference?

does it feel like the front or rear of the car?

Steve

#3 CoenZ

CoenZ

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 12:10 PM

The problem is 2 fold I think.

Under accelerating and left cornering i do get a vibration from the back. I think the enginemounts are worn out and that should be a rather easy fix which i'll try shortly. I can feel the engine moving too when cornering... bit scary.

The other issue is more unclear to me. At higher speed on the motorway the car shakes rather badly. This comes from the front wheels, at first I thought the wheels just needed to be balanced and that did make it a little better but still the steering wheel still shakes very hard. Could this have to do with the swivelhubs and bearings? when I rotate the wheel freely when I lift the car it seems OK without noticable noices etc...

Thanks, Coen

#4 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 17 June 2015 - 12:44 PM

The problem is 2 fold I think.

Under accelerating and left cornering i do get a vibration from the back. I think the enginemounts are worn out and that should be a rather easy fix which i'll try shortly. I can feel the engine moving too when cornering... bit scary.

The other issue is more unclear to me. At higher speed on the motorway the car shakes rather badly. This comes from the front wheels, at first I thought the wheels just needed to be balanced and that did make it a little better but still the steering wheel still shakes very hard. Could this have to do with the swivelhubs and bearings? when I rotate the wheel freely when I lift the car it seems OK without noticable noices etc...

Thanks, Coen

Get those engine mounts changed.....

When you lift the car and check the front wheels are you checking them for slack in the bearings as well? try pulling them with one hand at the top and one at the bottom to make it rock, there shouldnt be any movement in this direction. If you try side to side you'll probably feel slack in the steering rack (which shoudlnt be there) or you will jsut cause the rack to move the opposite wheel

Also get someone else to rock the wheel like I described above and stick your head under the car and look at every rose joint, checking for play. Then go round every rose joint and make sure the locking off nut is tight to the rose joint.

If the above is OK and it's still doing it then you might need to get the tracking checked. Have you had this done since you've been driving it for a while (consider everything has settled in now)??......

Edited by cptkirk, 17 June 2015 - 12:45 PM.

#5 CoenZ

CoenZ

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 01:43 PM

Thanks cptkirk, ordering the new enginemounts now... will double check on all the joints and bearings. Tracking has been done so I dont expect that to be the issue, but then again... work to do here!

Will keep you posted.

#6 CoenZ

CoenZ

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 03:36 PM

When I built the car the only parts I re-used were the steering rack and the swivelhubs (reconditioned the bearings etc). Because of the vibration I decided to order all new swivel hubs and steering rack, the parts arrived yesterday so today I disassembled the old swivelhubs and this is what I found on the brakedisks:

Attached File  Disk Wear.jpg   159.6K   27 downloads

It looks like the alloy bells of the disks are rubbing against the edge of the swivelhubs. There are clear markings on the inside for both disks. funny enough I never heard anything and the wheels did spin freely. When I compare the old swivelhubs with the new ones I ordered I don't see any difference.

Anyone have an idea what this could be?? Am I using the wrong components?

Thanks!

#7 minibugga

minibugga

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 05:19 PM

I thinck there are different type of drive flanges for the disc set up in a Mini. Check you have the proper one. Otherwise if it is only slightly touching you could trim down 1 or 2 mm of the swivelhub and this will not affect the bearing or seal housing. Make sure the bearing were correctly tighten. 

#8 ZCars Steve

ZCars Steve

Z Cars

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 07:45 AM

I thinck there are different type of drive flanges for the disc set up in a Mini. Check you have the proper one. Otherwise if it is only slightly touching you could trim down 1 or 2 mm of the swivelhub and this will not affect the bearing or seal housing. Make sure the bearing were correctly tighten. 

There are a few different types of swivel hub and drive flange

the big brakes are for use with 1984 onwards disc brake mini hubs

they may work with other types but we designed them around this model

Steve

#9 CoenZ

CoenZ

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 08:37 AM

There are a few different types of swivel hub and drive flange

the big brakes are for use with 1984 onwards disc brake mini hubs

they may work with other types but we designed them around this model

Steve

Thats what I have. All brand new 84 and onwards hubs and flanges for disc brakes!

I'll just trim a bit of the hub and should be OK....

Thx, Coen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users