19 replies to this topic

#1 chickensoup

chickensoup

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 03:56 PM

I know its been covered before, but all along time ago now. Has anyone seen, received or bought any fake/ dummy mark 1 style door hinges lately ? Does Arc-angels ever reply to any sales enquiry about them ? Hidden ever so well on their website, you only locate them once.  Can they be purchased anywhere at all, are the Japanese ones the only style on offer ?

#2 deanymini

deanymini

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:08 AM

I'm surprised a company hasn't capitalised on this. Retrosport?

#3 ado15

ado15

Super Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 03:04 PM

Hi

We do get asked for 'real' external door hinges. Can't recall having many requests for 'fake' ones though :-)

#4 deanymini

deanymini

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 10:05 AM

I still think they'd sell. Don't get me wrong, real ones are far superior to 'fake' ones in every way. Think how many people have dummy fuel filler necks/caps.  

#5 mk3 Cooper S

mk3 Cooper S

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 12:06 PM

There is a lot of engineering that needs to go into a good fake one to make it a bolt on option if you are to retain the original mk3 onwards hinges.

Original ones wont bolt on in addition to the mk3  hinges and to remove the mk3 ones properly will requirea decent amount of strengthening etc

#6 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 01:41 PM

I have thought about making some plastic ones that look right when the door is closed but without a pin so the door can be opened like usual, obviously ruins the illusion when the door is open however. Haven't managed to get my hands on a set of standard ones to CAD model and print yet but it's on my to do list.

You can buy fake ones from Japan for varying amounts of money, usually a lot for what they are.

#7 mk3 Cooper S

mk3 Cooper S

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 02:46 PM

Think I have a rough one that I will try and dig out for you to have.

It wont be quick as I am midst moving house and cant find anything at the moment

#8 ado15

ado15

Super Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 03:04 PM

Don't forget all four hinges are different. But you should manage with just a door pair as you can then mirror image them for the other side.

#9 ado15

ado15

Super Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 03:15 PM

Just looking at the geometry of the Mk3 doors. The leading edge moves inwards as you open it. This leaves little room for the external hinge between the door skin and A panel. If you made the 'join' slanted towards the back of the car to allow the door part to be thin enough, it would hit the front half long before the door was fully open!

Not sure how the Japanese ones work, but I believe they have a spring involved, so they might slide up over each other or something fancy like that. Might partly explain whey they are so expensive.

#10 evoderby

evoderby

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:46 PM

Should just be a question of some nice billet angled brackets that fit into the front wheel well which on one end solidly mount to the existing hinge pillar mounting points (allow some sliding adjustment) , and on the other end fit tight against the a-panel to screw the genuine Mk1 hinges into.

Some nice billet reinforcement plates to fit inside the door skin and Bob's your mothers brother!

Drill the Mk1 hinge holes when the door is still properly mounted on the Mk3 hinge ( drilling template would be nice) , remove door and unscrew Mk3 hinges...fit mounting brackets, door and Mk1 hinges, perform some minute adjustments if necessary and step back, enjoy a beer and admire your handiwork!

Edited by evoderby, 30 June 2015 - 05:48 PM.

#11 minimaxie

minimaxie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:56 PM

Does anyone actually have any pictures of the fake hinges fitted to their cars? Quite tempted to buy them for mine, as the paint is so dark that they wouldn't be so obvious

#12 chickensoup

chickensoup

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 07:21 PM

If you do a search on Google for dummy classic mini door hinges or Mark 1 mini fake door hinges you should get images and good photos of the near miss Japanese hinges which have a funny spring arrrangement and then the Arc-angels ones with the hinge mechanism behind that enables them to cope with the extreme distance as the door opens and closes. There have been many enthusiasts that say they cut off the old A panels, pop on mark one A panels and whiz your doors back on using original exterior hinges. This is a big deal to most of us, truth be known it could end up a nightmare for D.I.Y. home mechanics. The easy option is stick on exterior hinges, like em or hate em, if you want the look without the drama it might be the answer. They look good with the doors shut but awful when open. Double dear though, from either supplier. Next big problem would be to actually get Arc-angels to reply to an enquiry.

#13 vx220

vx220

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 06:09 AM

I'm sure I've seen fake-hinge stickers, in the products page of either minimag or miniworld

#14 Miniac86

Miniac86

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Local Club: MOCKZN

Posted 01 July 2015 - 01:15 PM

Here's a good write up with some decent pictures about the dummy mk1 hinges...

http://mk1-forum.net...opic.php?t=2430

#15 Peteh

Peteh

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 03:51 PM

Hi,

I am just building a Mk1 cooper s Look alike with a metro turbo engine in for the Italian Job rally in October and just ordered a set of Mk1 door hinges. I intend making a Fibreglass set that will lift away from the door when you open it. 

I have a pal that makes fibreglass mini panels and I am an ex engineer. I am trying to complete the project by the end of July so I will let you know how I get on.

Pete

Edited by Peteh, 01 July 2015 - 03:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users