27 replies to this topic

#1 MiniCallum

MiniCallum

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 02:07 PM

Finished fitting a central locking kit I bought from a series spares today. Took about 6 hours to fit as it was fairly fiddly! All working now though and pleased with the result. If you attempt it yourself be prepared to think on your feet as the instructions are pretty vague! I'll upload some pics of it later.

#2 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 03:48 PM

I'm thinking of doing the same. Would be interested to see how you routed the cables to the doors...

#3 MiniCallum

MiniCallum

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 05:31 PM

Here is where i fed the wire through the door pillar, there was a hole with a grommet in it already so i figured this would be a great place to feed the wire through. On the outer side of the panel i drilled a 10 mm hole to fit my cable trunking.

IMG_20150628_171121.jpg

I used a piece of cable trunking to protect the wires from damage and used some sealant on the top and bottom where it enters the door and pillar to prevent any water from getting in. The cables where all wrapped in loom tape aswell.

IMG_20150628_171056.jpg

I think it looks pretty neat and works very well. Below you can see i fitted the control box to a plate that supports the steering column, it's well out the way and the wires feed to it perfectly. The Permanent live i fed through the bulkhead grommet where the bonnet pull goes in and spliced it onto one of the permanent live fuses.

IMG_20150628_171157.jpg

IMG_20150628_171254.jpg

The earth i got from a screw on the fan box, probably could have found a place more out of the way, but you don't see it at all unless you are in the footwell.

IMG_20150628_171202.jpg

Any other questions, i will try an help where i can.

#4 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 05:58 PM

cool, thanks for the pics! Did the kit not come with any trunking...?

I have an MPI, so mine will be wired up differently

#5 MiniCallum

MiniCallum

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 06:10 PM

No the kit didn't come with any trunking and the instructions are not very detailed or clear showing how to fit things or where they should go, the template they provide for where you need to drill for the screws was totally useless and didn't help at all, i threw that away in 30 seconds.

Edited by MiniCallum, 28 June 2015 - 06:10 PM.

#6 DFulton

DFulton

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 06:51 PM

If you've got an MPi, there's a second kit you can get to wire it into the Rover alarm (it's the same as they used on the larger cars, so it's capable of triggering a central locking mechanism).  I bought one about 5 years ago and it worked like a charm (and still does).

#7 Minimad100

Minimad100

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 08:57 AM

If you've got an MPi, there's a second kit you can get to wire it into the Rover alarm (it's the same as they used on the larger cars, so it's capable of triggering a central locking mechanism).  I bought one about 5 years ago and it worked like a charm (and still does).

i have an MPI too, i also have this! 

although mine was purchased from wood and picket!

never had a problem with it so no complaints from me either! 

#8 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 05 July 2015 - 02:40 PM

What's the wood and picket kit like?

#9 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 05 July 2015 - 02:59 PM

From what I have seen of the kits, with the exception of the one designed for mpis, then they are just generic kits with a slightly altered set of instructions. Generic kits can be had off eBay for as little as £20 and are just as good. Presently fitting one to one of my other projects and for less than £30 got alarm, immobilser and full central locking kit. It took about two hours to do all the wiring apart from the doors but that will have to wait until they are swapped out and it was made easier as the dash is out so easy to get into stuff.

#10 mini stephen

mini stephen

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Local Club: unkown

Posted 05 July 2015 - 06:25 PM

From what I have seen of the kits, with the exception of the one designed for mpis, then they are just generic kits with a slightly altered set of instructions. Generic kits can be had off eBay for as little as £20 and are just as good. Presently fitting one to one of my other projects and for less than £30 got alarm, immobilser and full central locking kit. It took about two hours to do all the wiring apart from the doors but that will have to wait until they are swapped out and it was made easier as the dash is out so easy to get into stuff.

hi could you put a link up to the type of kit you used as theirs loads please

#11 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 05 July 2015 - 06:49 PM

hi could you put a link up to the type of kit you used as theirs loads please
this is the one I bought:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

You then need to buy two door servos/ actuators which are £3-4 each.

#12 Albino_Hedgehog

Albino_Hedgehog

Speeding Along Now

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Local Club: Solihull Mini Classic Club

Posted 05 July 2015 - 08:00 PM

Are the instructions fairly simple for this kit for the standard car?

interested in one for my City!

#13 Minimad100

Minimad100

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 08:58 PM

What's the wood and picket kit like?

In terms of design or the use of the kit?

#14 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,877 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:56 PM

In terms of it all..

#15 screech

screech

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,136 posts
  • Local Club: Bognor rock ya mini & WSMOC

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:07 AM

The wood and Pickett kit is the same as you will find in minispares, moss etc. they are very good as long as you follow the instruction and spend a bit of time setting it up. I've had mine for over 10years now.

There's a couple of cheaper kits available, which use the same design of levers etc, but not sure if the build quality is as good.

As for the comment regarding universal kits, this is not good advice, the mini kit is specific to the mini, not just a universal kit.
Also, the kit is the same for mpi's (the doors work exactly the same) with the exception of the rover remote interface.

Edited by screech, 07 July 2015 - 02:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users